Pieter_Post Builder Application

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard

Belgium

I found a video on youtube. I was really intrigued and clicked on it. When I saw all those beautifull buildings I wanted to see it myself. But my laptop couldnt handle the files and I had to wait a year to finally see it.

i have read a lot of books. i read the hobbit and the hunter's aprentice series. i also read other series but there are to many to all type out. offcourse i saw the LOTR movies. but game of thrones is more grounded in history and real life so it appeals to me a lot. I also love history, world war 1 and medieval europe being the ones i know most about.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Theon: because he is a tortured man who overcomes his faults. i think i also dont really know where i fit in.
or edmure Tully. Because the Tully's are my favorite house and i know he is not as bad in the books as he is in the series. and i like him because he is a faulted character and so he feels the most human out of every character.

i am an amazing storyteller. i always make a story before i build and i try to reflect that story in my builds. and this will improve with the more and more practice i have.

i love game of thrones. i heard about the show. watched it and read the books. i always wondered how the rest of the world would look. and when i heard about this server i wanted to be a part of it. only seeing it would have been fun. but when i heard about the fact that you can help built it I knew i needed to at least try to make it on the build team so i can help bring the lore and world George R. R. Martin created to life in minecraft

https://imgur.com/gallery/pNbFELY

you know nothing, Jon Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Pieter,
Thanks for your interest in the server and glad to see you're a fan of the Game of Thrones series and the fantasy genre.
You're on the right track with this house, I can see you've put thought into the house and explored the server for inspiration and there's a lot of nice ideas and elements.

I've just got a handful of suggested improvements that'll help with your future builds.
The shape and overall style of the house is close to some of houses you might see in the Crownlands/Riverlands, so you've done well to emulate that style. The daub looks nice and symmetrical and there's a good consistency with the color of type of stone used.

It's good to show restraint with the kinds of blocks used to add interior details. We use a house's economic status to determine what kind of items they would have. Since literacy rates would be extremely low for the majority of Westeros, we try to limit the use of bookshelves to big castles and wealthy households, same goes for glass cabinets, glass windows, colored beds, paintings, banners etc.

When making stone structures it's important to use a mix of stone blocks to avoid them looking too monotone and uniform. You'll find a information on how to create a nice stone mix in the Basic Building Guide https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/applicant-building-guide

When adding a second floor to a house, it's good to use a combination of wooden stairs running across the smallest width of the house to create the effect of cross beams like this

Otherwise you're off to a good start,
Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also, if you haven't already, take a look a the Basic Building Guide for some more tips, examples and Do's and Don'ts that will help on future builds.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard
Hello, so i made the hawthorne house.
i think it turned out very nice.
but i must admit that i followed one of the houses that was already built.
especially with the interior i struggled.
but i hope you find it ok.
i posted the photos on imgur again.
https://imgur.com/user/Tully01
with kind regards, Pieter.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Pieter/Vickon, sorry again for the delay - I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification that you'd responded but thanks for your patience.
You have indeed done a very nice job, you've done a well with capturing the style of Hawthorne and using all the appropriate blocks and there's not a lot I could suggest to improve it. My only minor note would be to look into using stairs for the floor of the mezzanine landing to create cross beams.
Here's an example:

Overall though well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Good luck!

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard
Hello i made the white harbor house. i made a netmaker.
i really liked this built but i might have gone a bit overboard with how big the house is.
the interior i had a lot of fun with but also there i might be overkill.
especially with the roof i had a problem because it the first time didn't line up nice so i had to scrap a part of the building and start over. but later on it backfired a bit because i had to change the top layers of the roof.
overall i had a fun time with this built.
and i hope you like it to. and the feedback is always great. and i used the crossbeam method.
this is the link: https://imgur.com/user/Tully01
With kind regards. Pieter

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Pieter,
Thanks for completing this house so quick. You've done a great job, netmaking was a good choice for profession and you've added a lot of nice elements in keeping with the White Harbor style.

I like all the interior details and how you've divided up the layout. Nice effort with the diagonal shape of the house, diagonals can be tricky, you've almost got it right except for the end walls. Here's how we typically plot out diagonals:
1591182548671.png

I think there's a little bit of room for improvement with the stone palette here.
1591179910822.png

I can see that you made an effort with using a mix of stone types, you're at a partial disadvantage by building in biome that isn't Extreme Hills, which automatically darkens the color of cobblestone, so don't worry about that - I'd just suggest taking out the dark cobblestone blocks and the winterfell granite so it's just the other three. It's also good to group the block types together a little more like in the example below, so they're not as quite randomly scattered around. A window or two would also be nice to break up the wall too. You can find some more guidance about this in the Basic Building Guide.
1591180176847.png
For your (tentatively last) challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of Highgarden, (take a look at /warp hgtown ). As with this White Harbor house, it should have a profession/business on the bottom level (e.g. tailor/wine merchant/blacksmith), and a yard would be great as well.

Cheers

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard
i have a question. when you say a yard do you mean what i did with the other buildings or even bigger?
With kind regards Pieter.

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard
this is the highgarden house i built. i built a wine merchant.
i had a bit of a problem with the roof again wich i think is visible. but then inside the house it was fun. the basement lookes good in my opinion but i should have placed it inside the house. but there was no room on the bottom floor.
the upper floors i think look great but the garden/ yard i might have done to much decoration.
but overall i think it looks very good.
this is the link: https://imgur.com/user/Tully01/posts
With kind regards, Pieter

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Pieter,
Well done with this house, it's another really nice one. Wine merchant was a good choice for Highgarden and you've done a great job of capturing the look and feel of the area, the yard looks beautiful too.

I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

And now your watch begins - welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!