Petyr Baelish

Storyteller
What is your Minecraft username?
_Petyr_Baelish

What is your age?
13-16

In what country are you living?
Russia (Saint-Petersburg)

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
Plot twists, you never know what's next. My favorite character is Petyr Baelish, he is one of the smartest characters and he started Game of Thrones.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I like all the buildings. But most of all I like harrenhal, winterfell, highgarden and the castle that Margaery is building now.

Why do you want to join our server?
I really love GoT / ASolaF, but there are no people around me who have read or watched GoT / ASolaF, so I have no one to discuss with. on this server I can discuss GoT / ASolaF and build it. also being in the English-speaking community will help me in learning the language

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/zITUvoT

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Petyr,

Good to see frequent guests taking the plunge in joining the build team.

Our application process has now changed and as such you must now do the following;

Your First Task
You must copy the house and garden which you can find on our server at /warp apphouse and build it in single player mode.
  • When exploring the apphouse, use middle click to identify the blocks you need to use.
  • Do not build on a flat world, try to situate the build within the landscape.
  • Once finished, take 5-10 images of your house, including interiors and exteriors.
  • One of these should be an authentication image of yourself in front of your build (press F5 to change camera angle).
  • Please note that any challenges issued to you after this build should not be copies, but instead use other existing builds as a source of inspiration.

This is to get you familiar with all the steps that go into building a fairly standard house. This'll show you how to do the things you missed such as rafters beneath the thatch roof etc.

Once you've done this we can get you on the road to becoming a full builder :)

Veggie

Petyr Baelish

Storyteller
Thanks for the answer. I will redo. When I was building, they told me in the chat that I need to build a similar house, and not copy

Veggie

The Old Bear
Good stuff, hope you found that useful.

For your first challenge can you build a house in the Duskendale style.

Good luck!

Veggie

The Old Bear
I commend you for having a stab at a three wide house! I think there were only one or two of these at Duskendale, and they were more of a necessity to fill an awkward gap, so don't worry about having to build such annoyingly narrow houses in the future.

I think your daub and wattle is a little sporadic on the sides, but 100% recognise that it's difficult on these town houses to build with the exposed sides as they'd normally be hidden.

As for gradients, keep your darker blocks on the bottom of the foundation, with houses like this. So the large brown bricks would be at the bottom with the monochrome sandstone towards the top. There's a couple of examples where you have the stormlands brick towards the top of the stone foundation, it just looks a little off.

I think double shutters on single windows tend to dwarf the windows, so I'd try and avoid this,

Good effort though,

For your next challenge build something in the Tor style.

Veg

Petyr Baelish

Storyteller
I commend you for having a stab at a three wide house! I think there were only one or two of these at Duskendale, and they were more of a necessity to fill an awkward gap, so don't worry about having to build such annoyingly narrow houses in the future.

I think your daub and wattle is a little sporadic on the sides, but 100% recognise that it's difficult on these town houses to build with the exposed sides as they'd normally be hidden.

As for gradients, keep your darker blocks on the bottom of the foundation, with houses like this. So the large brown bricks would be at the bottom with the monochrome sandstone towards the top. There's a couple of examples where you have the stormlands brick towards the top of the stone foundation, it just looks a little off.

I think double shutters on single windows tend to dwarf the windows, so I'd try and avoid this,

Good effort though,

For your next challenge build something in the Tor style.

Veg
Thanks for the criticism. The application process has greatly. Sand style is the most difficult for me. I don't really like the house that I built, but I don't know how to improve it. I'm waiting for the next challenge.

Reactions: Scubooty

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Petyr,

A good attempt, but in need of some improvements to get it to server standard.

Firstly from my quick scan around the Tor I can see each house has a foundational gradient before moving into the plasters/arbor light stone. However your exterior is very light stone heavy, with small patches of blocks to break up the gradient. If built on the server you'd get meloned for not following the style, so take a look further at the exterior details you've missed.

The tor houses also tend to have more exterior details to break up the flat walls, balconies, window boxes, window ledges etc. So take a look at adding those.

I think your interiors are most in need of improvement. They're looking a little 'vanilla' at the moment, and don't exploit the range of blocks we have in our pack.

Dornish builds are a great excuse to make your interiors a riot of colour with fruits, carpets and other interior details. You've opted for a fairly wood/brown adjacent selection of furnishings inside which could be improved. Your kitchen for example could immediately be improved by using some proper cabinetry found at /warp ikea as well as Dorne-adjacent blocks like the chili ristra and other blocks found in the region. Just pushing everything up against the wall with an undetailed wooden floor kind of blends everything into one. Break it up by using the space more and use vital kitchen blocks like water barrels, foods etc.

Bookshelves should be considered a no no in a house not lived in by a well educated (typically wealthy) or a specific profession like a scribe. Literacy levels would have been rock bottom in Westeros, so nobody would have had such a vast book collection in a modest Dornish home. Your usage just looks like trying to fill space, which isn't the aim. This issue of the house being too luxurious in areas is further highlighted by the usage of the noble bed.

You need to really think about how spaces would be used, and the blocks you need to reflect this. It might sound complicated at first but it'll soon be at the point where you don't need to think about it. Take a look at other builds-- there are only so many varations of kitchens, bedrooms etc. so you should seek to reflect houses which already exist on the server.

For your next challenge I want you to get the build you've done above up to a server standard.

Good luck,

Veggie.

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Petyr,

Sorry for the long reply, I've been busy.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the improvements I'd have liked to have seen in the house.

As such I suggest you take some time to familiarise yourself further with our building styles.

Once you feel you have reached this point please build a house in the Ryamsport style.

Veg