Petit_Fantome Builder Application

Petit_Fantome

Mummer

France

Youtube videos. I've known the server for at least 5-6 years.

The Eldric saga, Lord of the rings and other Tolkien books from Middle Earth obviously.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons, Winds of Winter

Season 1, Season 2, Season 6, Season 7

Jaime Lannister (from the books).
I absolutely love the duality of the character. I think he is what any fictional character should me : non-manichean, deep, with every decision he makes being motived by what he has lived before. I also identify a lot the fact that he sometimes is rejected and even hated by most for the things he did right, or at least the things he feels like he did right, hence his "kingslayer duties". Finally, the way he evolves throughout the story, book by book, is an example of good writing.

Unique, I don't know, but I have been working for several years as a Politics advisor in France, helping mayors or congressmen. So I feel like there might be some not-so-common knowledge or skills that could eventually help in my background.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire. I love Minecraft. I love building (I actually never play the game other than in creative mode). I think the adventure that this server is looks amazing and I would really like to be a part of it. The only thing I can see that would make me not want to apply is that it might be too time consuming. But that is for you to judge, knowing that I might not be able to be there everyday because of a very dense worklife.

https://imgur.com/a/tCIaDrS

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi petit,

Thanks for your application, your submitted album of images is impressive but I'm afraid it doesn't meet the requirements of our application process. As per the requirements, please submit the link to an album of images of a single house that would fit in with our established styles of our server, using our launcher and texture pack. We also require at least one shot of your avatar in front of your build. Please re-read the application guidelines before continuing.

Please submit this to this thread to continue the process.

Many thanks

Petit_Fantome

Mummer
I'm back !
So, I built this using the White Harbour paterns and style. I also got inspired by the French region of "Bretagne" for the roof and chimney styles.

So, this is obviously a fisherman house, built on the riverside with an access to the river for the boat and well... fishing. I went with a semi-diagonal build, which I think looks cooler. Also, for bonus points, there's a custom tree on the side.

Here it is : https://imgur.com/a/Q1EZQre

Waiting for your feedbacks.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Petit, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I hope you're still interested in continuing your application!

Looking at this house I think there are a lot of positives but also a few things that need to be cleared up.

Things I like:
- Great house shape and gradient
- Nice use of vines (and the pretty tree) to put the house in context

Things that need improvement:
- The dark cobblestone isn't used as a roofing material in White Harbour - when building based on an area stick to the materials that they use (usually bedrock, basalt, grey slate and northern wood in White Harbour)
- Candles should be placed flat on an object, not sticking into walls
- Cobblestone flooring is a bit bland - a dirt/gravel mix is good for poorer houses, or a wooden or other mixed stone floor in more established houses. Look in game for examples of how these are done.
- The wooden flooring in the attic should stick to one colour wood, rather than a random mix of oak, jungle and spruce

There are a few more things I would nitpick with the interiors, but what will do you more good is to get in game and explore some of our more recent builds. Examples of these would include King's Landing, White Harbour, Winterfell, Highgarden, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Duskendale, Uffering, Bandallon, Cape Kraken and Wyl.

My challenge for you is to build a house in the style of Duskendale. I want you to focus particularly on creating logical, class-appropriate interiors (think about cooking, heating, eating, bedding +/- a profession i.e. blacksmith, carpenter, weaver etc), choosing the right blocks for the town and putting the house into context with a road and yard (bonus points if you plot out surrounding houses in wool to show how your house would fit in).

My advice to you (which I give to all potential applicants) is to go into Duskendale and find 5 houses that you particularly admire. Take screenshots of those 5 houses (interiors and exteriors) and then use them as reference/inspiration when you create your own challenge house in singleplayer. You're welcome to build in a flat world if this makes it easier for you.

Good luck!

Petit_Fantome

Mummer
Hi, sorry for my delay. I was quite busy and also wanted to make this one good.

I made the rough shape of two other houses with wool so you can have an idea of how the build integrates with the neighbourhood. As for the environment, I created a small wall, a tower and a tree just to create a little bit of ambiance and a rough idea of the place this house would have in the city. Most certainly a middle/upper class house.

Everything you might want to know about the build is in the imgur. So, here is the link for it : https://imgur.com/a/canGUO8

I'll enjoy some holiday next, so take your time to review. Thanks !

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Petit, great job with the challenge!

Things I like:
- Great work putting the house into context - you've demonstrated a very high level of understanding about how we integrate individual houses to create a cohesive, realistic urban environment, and this is exactly the kind of skill we need on the server
- Nice exteriors, especially the cute exterior staircase

Things that could be improved:
- Don't mix thatch! The carpets you made should be either entirely light thatch, or entirely dark thatch, not a blend
- The darker Stormlands blocks contrast a bit harshly with the dun in some places - the Stormlands brick/large brick might be ok in small quantities, but the cobble/dark cobble is a bit high too dark for the dun
- The noble beds are too fancy, stick to the pale red/green beds and the northern, itchy straw and straw beds for anything other than high class or higher
- Bit too many flowers indoors, especially those hidden right in the darkness - how would they survive without sunlight? They also generally make a place seem a bit fancy/rich, which isn't the vibe that I get from this house otherwise
- The burning furnaces in front of wood make it look like the house is at risk of burning down, ideally put down some kind of stone block in front of them (so long as it doesn't show through on the lower levels). Another trick is just to use the unlit furnace, which doesn't look like such an imminent fire hazard.
- The furnace in image 26 doesn't have a chimney above it, which makes no sense
- There are an awful lot of storage blocks (especially food) around, which is somewhat excessive. You seem to be using them as a space-filler, which is understandable, but you are better off learning how to use empty spaces as an effective building tool. Not all rooms need to be filled up, and indeed can add to the character of the house if they are practically empty - an empty basket in the corner with a spiderweb on the ceiling can create a great atmosphere.
- Not a fan of the random mixed vegetable patch in the garden (cabbages, carrots, turnip, pumpkin and a trapdoor covered water hole in one little patch???) - you are better off sticking to one vegetable, like cabbage or carrot. Visit /warp crops for ideas of how we depict various vegetables. The trapdoor water thing doesn't really have a place on the server either.

I know that may seem like a lot of suggestions, but it's all minor stuff - I am genuinely very impressed by how dramatically you have improved! You did a great job on the challenge build, and it would only take some minor tweaking to be right up to server standard.

For your next challenge, I would like to see you make a low class house in the style of Bandallon. Focus particularly on class appropriate interiors and creating a nice down to earth vegetable garden.

Good luck!