Oldtown: Hightower and Battle Island

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
The difference between a "labyrinth" and a "maze" is that a labyrinth tends to consist of one intricate and winding path, but with no dead ends, whereas the maze consists of a number of paths, many of them ending in dead ends.
I want to point out that according to the wikipedia article on labyrinths this is a modern distinction by enthusiasts! Apparently, both in the traditional Greek and lexical English the words Maze and Labyrinth are synonymous. In any case, it is hard to guess whether either of them applies better to GRRM's (or the publishers) reading of the word. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth)

Personally, I've never interpreted "labyrinthine" as denoting a literal labyrinth/ maze that is built in stone, rather, like Howy said, meaning a confusing, asymmetric, chaotic interior with the ability to make one lose their way. I can imagine that GRRM did make that choice of words deliberatly as to avoid literal readings, but this is speculation.

Edit: Some canon quotes to help us along:

"Even more enigmatic to scholars and historians is the great square fortress of black stone that dominates that isle. For most of recorded history, this monumental edifice has served as the foundation and lowest level of the Hightower, yet we know for a certainty that it predates the upper levels of the tower by thousands of years.

Who built it? When? Why? Most maesters accept the common wisdom that declares it to be of Valyrian construction, for its massive walls and labyrinthine interiors are all of solid rock, with no hint of joins or mortar, no chisel marks of any kind, a type of construction that is seen elsewhere, most notably in the dragonroads of the Freehold of Valyria, and the Black Walls that protect the heart of Old Volantis. The dragonlords of Valryia, as is well-known, possessed the art of turning stone to liquid with dragonflame, shaping it as they would, then fusing it harder than iron, steel, or granite." - AWOIAF

"An even more fanciful possibility was put forth a century ago by Maester Theron. Born a bastard on the Iron Islands, Theron noted a certain likeness between the black stone of the ancient fortress and that of the Seastone Chair, the high seat of House Greyjoy of Pyke, whose origins are similarly ancient and mysterious. Theron's rather inchoate manuscript Strange Stone postulates that both fortress and seat might be the work of a queer, misshapen race of half men sired by creatures of the salt seas upon human women. These Deep Ones, as he names them, are the seed from which our legends of merlings have grown, he argues, whilst their terrible fathers are the truth behind the Drowned God of the ironborn. The lavish, detailed, and somewhat disturbing illustrations included in Strange Stone make this rare volume fascinating to peruse, but the text is impenetrable in parts; Maester Theron had a gift for drawing but little skill with words. In any case, his thesis has no factual basis and may safely be dismissed. And thus we find ourselves back whence we began, forced to concede that the beginnings of Oldtown, Battle Isle, and its fortress must forever remain a mystery to us." - AWOIAF

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I want to point out that according to the wikipedia article on labyrinths this is a modern distinction by enthusiasts! Apparently, both in the traditional Greek and lexical English the words Maze and Labyrinth are synonymous. In any case, it is hard to guess whether either of them applies better to GRRM's (or the publishers) reading of the word.

Huh, interesting. And here I thought I was making an astute observation lol

Now that I've re-read the canon quotes, I do agree fully with Howy's & your interpretation:

Personally, I've never interpreted "labyrinthine" as denoting a literal labyrinth/ maze that is built in stone, rather, like Howy said, meaning a confusing, asymmetric, chaotic interior with the ability to make one lose their way.

I've never seen an actual maze/labyrinth described as "labyrinthine interiors", I instead interpret that as actual functional interiors which are just sprawling and confusing.

So perhaps a better thing to model this after would be the cellar rooms underneath Baelors in KL (but more empty/mysterious)

Regarding the black fort:
With past issues such as the Red Keep "Drum Towers" we can assume GRRM uses adjectives for buildings in a weird/ambiguous way...
I think the Black Fort will need to have confusing interiors within the Black Fort level, but does not need to be a maze like that of Highgarden. TWOIAF likely used the description to describe small, twisting corridors in which one can easily get lost.
So I think this is the right interpretation of what he meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howy

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Are the corner towers going to be less obvious? the current base is very much westerosi. That it is compared to the Seastone chair means it must look alien or unusual, which is why I like Fin's depiction of it so well. what could be a compromise between the two versions is to have the corners protruding but not as much as they are currently, and without standard crenallations

Howy

Royal Messenger
I am personally keen on corner towers for the lower base. I agree however that on the old model you were referring to they stuck out too much. I think the best compromise would be to incorporate them but only one or two out from the fort proper (might even use walls if they work out).