DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
*drumroll please*
It's the Nightfort Canon Roundup!

Context:
- Largest and oldest castle on the Wall, twice the age of Castle Black, making it at least 1,200 years old (first mention of Castle Black in the timeline is 600 years ago).
- The castle was rebuilt many times with only deep stone vaults remaining from the first iteration.
- It was completely abandoned in 58AC in favour of a smaller castle, Deep Lake, which was built seven miles to the east.

Stories:
- The Night's King and Rat Cook
- The seventy-nine sentinels
- Danny Flint
- King Sherrit
- The thing that came in the night.
- Symeon Star-Eyes seeing hellhounds fight.
- Mad Axe
- Arson Iceaxe

Appearance:
- Broken towers.
- Buildings include a bell tower, a rookery, a brewhouse, a library, a dungeon capable of holding five hundred prisoners, a bathhouse, an armory, and a forge.
- The rat-filled great hall only has one remaining wall.
- The kitchen is a stone octagon with a domed roof and contains a stepped well, a twisted weirwood grows through a hole in the roof.
- A maze of tunnels connecting its vaults and cellars.
- Its yards have become small forests, and there are trees growing where the stables used to be.
- The gate through the Wall is sealed with frozen stone and rubble.
- The steps to the top of the Wall are cut out of the ice itself, but have thawed and re-frozen so many times that little of them remains.

The Black Gate:
- It is set deep in a wall of the well at the center of the kitchens and is made of white weirwood with a face on it. The face is old, pale, shrunken, and wrinkled with white eyes. The door glows.

Selected Quotations:
- A "desolation of rubble, ruins, and weeds" (SoS, Bran IV).
- "The wind made a nervous whistling sound as it shivered through the broken towers, the keeps groaned and settled ... The yards were small forests where spindly trees rubbed their bare branches together and dead leaves scuttled like roaches across patches of old snow. There were trees growing where the stables had been, and a twisted white weirwood pushing up through the gaping hole in the roof of the domed kitchen." (SoS, Bran IV).
- "the castle had been expanded upon many times over the centuries and that little remained of its original structure save for some of the deepest vaults chiseled out of the rock beneath the castle's feet." (TWoIaF, The Wall and Beyond).

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Dutch!
Johan’s pointed out that there are still some large tracts of the Gift which remain pretty basic and unchanged from default Worldpainter, as well as some Wall castles that could do with some simple modernization updates.

A Nightfort server build could be used as a chance to coordinate a refresh of the whole area with a consistent style and attention to detail.

The remaining Wall castles still to be built, Rimegate, Longbarrow, Eastwatch, could be folded into this as well maybe?

Ric

Ser
Staff member
The Black Gate:
- It is set deep in a wall of the well at the center of the kitchens and is made of white weirwood with a face on it. The face is old, pale, shrunken, and wrinkled with white eyes. The door glows.

Hey, just adding to it a description of the Black Gate opening:

"'Then pass,' the door said. Its lips opened, wide and wider and wider still, until nothing at all remained but a great gaping mouth in a ring of wrinkles [...] The door's upper lip brushed softly against the top of Bran's head, and a drop of water fell on him and ran slowly down his nose. It was strangely warm, and salty as a tear."

One thing we could discuss on is if the gate should be openable in-game. I don't know if we can make it open the way it's described, but if we can, should we? I'm not sure if the gate can be opened by someone who is not a part of the Night's Watch within the lore. If we decide that it should, would be nice if could figure a way of making it open with the password I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Good point Ric,
The old Nightfort had a pretty straightforward hidden piston door.

I've been messing around with a more elaborate design at /warp nightfort test
1610366227506.png
The face design's a little whack but I like the door mechanism, and the eye's open when you approach.

I think there's some additional descriptions in Bran's Storm of Swords chapter, would be worth expanding on Dutch's list of canon at some stage and draw out any useful implications from the stories.