More voxel detail using Chisels & Bits or LittleTiles mods

xtal256

Mummer
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you had thought of using mods like Chisels & Bits or LittleTiles to give added 3D (voxel) detail to certain blocks?

There are a number of places I could see it being useful, such as in the screenshots below.
Fancy windows could be made to look a bit nicer, instead of having a transparent texture on all 4 sides.
Flowers could be properly 3D, instead of that 2D sprite effect reminiscent of old '90s games. Similarly for candles and other small items. They would look much better in 3D.

Fancy window Flowers Candle

I'm not sure what it would take to get these mods working in WesterosCraft, but I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

What do you think?

Reactions: Luk

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
All of these things are actually possible by messing around with the model files now, a mod like chisels & bits is definitely overkill (since IIRC it lets you mess with any block).

Some of the improvements you mentioned are already planned for the future, like improving the flower models. Messing with the arrow slits is an interesting possibility that I haven’t thought of. It’d be rather difficult though, and we’d have to make sure it wouldn’t break any of the ways that people use arrow slits.

Reactions: Allisthegod and Luk

xtal256

Mummer
So you're saying that the 3D model for those flower blocks can be changed? I just assumed that Minecraft had either solid cube blocks or those 2D sprite types.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
yeah, we can make meshes for objects and put them in. people would not be able to make some of the thin steeple-tower things if the arrowslits were only 2 sided.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
So you're saying that the 3D model for those flower blocks can be changed? I just assumed that Minecraft had either solid cube blocks or those 2D sprite types.

Yup! Basically the way it works is you can define planes at various angles along the XYZ axis along with corresponding textures. So by adding some additional planes with some rotation around the horizontal axes, you can make the flower textures seem more “bushy” and realistic.

If you check out the Conquest resource pack + modpack, they already have flower blocks which are like this.