Withdrawn Mistwood Redo Appeal

Gealrüable

Royal Messenger
Good Morning,
I am requesting that Mistwood is exempted from the No-Redo Rule under clause 1(b) - Inadequate Cannon Clause.

1. "Instead of proper roads, they rode down crookback slashes that snaked this way and that, through clefts in huge mosscovered rocks and down deep ravines choked with blackberry brambles. Sometimes the track petered out entirely (TWoW)" - There is a distinct lack of deep ravines and crookback slashes in the project, a huge oversight that must be dealt with swiftly.

2. "Dusk found them on the fringes of the rainwood, a wet green world where brooks and rivers ran through dark forests and the ground was made of mud and rotting leaves. Huge willows grew along the watercourses [...] Trees pressed close on every side, shutting out the sun; hemlock and red cedars, white oaks, soldier pines that stood [tall] as towers, colossal sentinels, bigleaf maples, redwoods, wormtrees, even here and there a wild weirwood. Underneath their tangled branches ferns and flowers grew in profusion; sword ferns, ladyferns, bellflowers and piper's lace, evening stars and poison kisses, liverwort, lungwort, hornwort. Mushrooms sprouted down amongst the tree roots, and from their trunks as well [...] Other trees were furred with moss, green or grey or red-tailed, and once a vivid purple. Lichens covered every rock and stone. Toadstools festered besides rotting logs (TWoW)" - I could not find any Toadstools on rotting logs.

3. "solar, high in the Tower of Owls (TWoW)" - no solar panels on the tower.

4. "Mistwood is protected by walls, a gatehouse, and a keep. (awoiaf.westeros.org)" - The castle features both walls and a keep, though also more than one gatehouse!

Since the project is so old, I see no point in updating it and suggest a full redo.

best wishes,
Geal

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I believe an update would be more easily suited for this project's inadequate cannon because of the following:

1. Although the missing cannon is numerous, the mentioned points above aren't necessarily major in that these issues would not take much work to fix. Something that could be easily dealt with in an update.

2. The project is not that old. Yes, there are some outdated features that don't match current server standards, but a full redo seems excessive. The project was finished in 2019 and I feel that a full redo would be unfair to SerLoras and Dartman.

I do feel an update is needed though. It would give a chance to improve the project to server standards while still remaining true to the original project leader's vision and adding any missing cannon descriptions.
-
One more thing. I'm not familiar with the early released passages from TWoW, but it is entirely possible because Mistwood is mentioned in these passages, future to be released cannon information could be lingering. Similar to Skagos, holding off on any future work until TWoW is released is something to think about as to avoid another post-update/redo.

Gealrüable

Royal Messenger
all jokes aside, I feel the strong urge to profess my love for Mistwood.

It always was one of my favorites, and even now after wading through so much material on the stormlands for many hours, I only love it more.
There are no issues with canon, and it is unlikely that there will be new canon in WoW or beyond (since in the released chapter its just a short stop on the way), the plotting is great, it uses the unique terrain amazingly.
Speaking of the terrain: its my favorite part, I love the dense, tangled atmosphere, how the paths wind through the undergrowth, the buildings rise out of the wildlife.
Thanks to SerLoras and Dartman, and everybody else involved, you did an amazing job!

With that I take back this joke-appeal, I do not think even a minor update will be warranted for quite some time. (Tho perhaps some small parts in the south might need a little adjustement to fit the broad plain we're currently missing)

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
all jokes aside, I feel the strong urge to profess my love for Mistwood.

It always was one of my favorites, and even now after wading through so much material on the stormlands for many hours, I only love it more.
There are no issues with canon, and it is unlikely that there will be new canon in WoW or beyond (since in the released chapter its just a short stop on the way), the plotting is great, it uses the unique terrain amazingly.
Speaking of the terrain: its my favorite part, I love the dense, tangled atmosphere, how the paths wind through the undergrowth, the buildings rise out of the wildlife.
Thanks to SerLoras and Dartman, and everybody else involved, you did an amazing job!

With that I take back this joke-appeal, I do not think even a minor update will be warranted for quite some time. (Tho perhaps some small parts in the south might need a little adjustement to fit the broad plain we're currently missing)
i was so excited to see that you would finally start a project in stormlands and furthermore that would be mistwood :( :(

you got me there.

• Haha
Reactions: Gealrüable

Gealrüable

Royal Messenger
an update would be amazing in mistwood tbh if done properly continuing Serloras's and Dartman's visions
currently there are much more important things to do in the stormlands than update an already very good project, better to let a new style establish in the next years and then perhaps update mistwood slightly

It might be very tempting to hold projects (especially beloved ones) always up to date, but with so much still being uncompleted, we might better use our time elsewhere.

Last edited: