LukeJackson Builder Application

LukeJackson

Mummer

Germany

It was about one or two months ago on a random instagram post. It was a screenshot of Kings Landing from WesterosCraft with the caption: ''Look at what people can accomplish, when they work together'' or something similar.
I'm sorry but I did not find the specific page anymore, which posted it. Anyway I was really fascinated and did some research on the internet and found out about the whole project.

Skulduggery Pleasant, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter and everything from JRR Tolkien

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords

Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

That's a hard question. I think if I really had to name my single most favorite character of ASOIAF it would be Arya Stark. I think her character is really interesting because you can literally see her change from chapter to chapter or from episode to episode. She starts to be that young, lively girl, which is forced to learn everything about what a Lady Stark is supposed to know, but would much rather be training with her brothers.
Ned Stark sees the potential she has and Arya finally learns a bit about sword fighting before her father dies and she finds herself alone, having to fight for survival for the first time in her life.
Although she knows nothing but the summer in Westeros and grew up in one of the wealthiest families on the continent you can really feel during that hard time how tough and smart she is and against all odds, she manages to survive.
Nonetheless she takes the first chance she gets to prepare to avenge her family by going with Jaqen and learning to be a Faceless Man. That's where her transformation is complete and she is a totally bad ass killer machine whos only goal is to avenge the red wedding and the execution of her father and to protect her family.
I really like her because she literally went through hell, when her father got executed and big parts of her family were murdered on the red wedding.
Nevertheless she never stopped believing in herself and eventually she came back as probably one of the strongest characters in Westeros.

I have some experience on building cities from Fantasy Worlds. with some of my friends I startet to build Minas Thirith from LOTR in 2014, but we never really finished.
I have a really good imagination of my builds and I do not stop improving my builds until it is like I imagined.
I love building in a team and I would say of myself that I'm a pretty good team player who listens to feed back and knows how to behave.

I the ASOIAF Universe and I really enjoy the game minecraft. The moment I found out about this project I instantly checked it out and I was overwhelmed of how awesome it is.
I would love to be a part of this and bring my skills to the table to help improve and finish Westeros.
Also many of my friends, with who I used to play the game do not really do so anymore and so I often find myself playing minecraft alone and I don't have as much fun as I had back in 2014/15.
I'm in search of a community who is eager to create something big and won't rest or stop doing so until it is finished.
While I was on the server as a guest I really think I found that in WesterosCraft.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Luke,
Thanks for your application and glad to see you're a fan of GoT and the fantasy genre, you've come to the right place!

You've done a really good job with your winegrower, it really fits the look and feel of the Reach, all the small touches of vines/signs of life look great.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.

- We try to avoid using full wooden log blocks in builds these days, as when you make a whole town out of them they tend to look a little clunky/repetitive, same with fence blocks for windows.
- Try to make sure that cabinet/drawer/bookshelf blocks only have one side exposed, you can use half door blocks to cover up it up
upload_2019-3-26_12-47-36.png
- The basement would need a little more detail to the stone ceiling, making it look vaulted with stone support pillars in the middle.
- When adding levels to a house, you can use a mix of wooden stairs/slabs to create rafters like this:
- The roof line on the larger wing of the house could be extended to the end rather than sloping down.

Otherwise though you're off to a great start.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks). Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Luke, just touching base to see if you're still interested in applying, no problem if you're busy, I'll just flag the application as suspended until you're ready to revisit it.

Cheers

LukeJackson

Mummer
Hey CashBanks,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I am still interested in becoming a builder, but apperently my inbox was somehow messed up so I couldn't see your reply.
I'll get right to work and send you my build as soon as I am satisfied with it :)

Cheers

Reactions: CashBanks

LukeJackson

Mummer
Hello again CashBanks,

After studying the Hawthornetown style for a while, here is what I came up with:
2019-05-16_18.21.40.png
2019-05-16_18.21.30.png

Because of the small size of the house, I had some trouble not straight copying one of the already done buildings.
At the beginning it was kind of hard to find spots in the build to make it unique and at least a bit different of the other Low Class Farmer's houses.

I tried to implement those details in the ground plan of the house, the shape of the roof and the interior design.2019-05-16_18.23.04.png

LukeJackson

Mummer
Also I tried to use the common blocks used in the 'gardens' of the Farmer-houses in Hawthornetown, but I still tried to make it look a bit unique in the shape and the size:

2019-05-16_18.22.42.png 2019-05-16_18.22.47.png 2019-05-16_18.22.58.png 2019-05-16_18.23.04.png

I think it turned out pretty well and I think it would fit in with the scheme of the town.
What do you think of it?
Please let me know if you need more screenshots or some from other angles.
And of course, let me know if there is anything I ca work on individually to make my builds look more authentic and better.

I hope to hear from soon.
Kind regards,
Simon

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Luke, thanks for completing that first challenge, you've clearly put a lot of thought into it and paid attention to the Hawthorne style, you've done a great job!
I think you've nailed all the important elements:
- Nicely symmetrical daub,
- Good variation with the stone brick palette
- Lots of variety with the mix of vegetation in the garden, all the small details like the wheelbarrow/axe/basekets are great too.
- Interior detail looks good too, all the blocks are appropriate for a low class house.

Only tiny tiny note would be to maybe put the candle on the bench instead of the block of thatch, fire safety!

Next up, try your hand at a middle class profession in the style of /warp ss .
Stony Sept should be a little more of a challenge as it's grown without a set in stone style guide, rather there's a number of houses scattered around to use as inspiration. The trick will be to identify the key elements of similarity between all the houses and come up with a design that reflects them. A middle class house should also have a profession large/successful enough to support a middle class income, so the bottom floor/yard would almost certainly be dedicated to it. Take a look at /warp professions if you need ideas for which profession would suit the area/class.

Cheers

LukeJackson

Mummer
Greetings!

Thanks for the nice feedback on my previous build.
Your were right, Stoney Sept was a bit more of a challenge for me. While studying the houses and the style of Stoney Sept, I noticed, that quite many of the bigger houses were really luxurious, but still labeled as a middle class house. After a little chat with some of the builders, who were online on the server, I decided that I wanted to build a house owned by a really successful tailor.
Here is what I came up with:2019-05-21_11.30.25.png 2019-05-21_11.30.33.png 2019-05-21_11.30.45.png I wanted to design the exterior as interesting as possible, but not build too much on the sides to the right and left, because I noticed, that in Stoney Sept nearly all buildings were really close to each other, many of them even touching, making them a kind of townhouse.
With the balcony and the little stand in front of the building I tried to add a little more detail to the front.

2019-05-21_11.31.01.png 2019-05-21_11.31.31.png
Personally I am not really comfortable with leaving the edge of the roof kind of straight cutted, like all of the buildings in Stoney Sept, because normally all the medieval castles have some sort of overlaying roof to the sides. So I decided to add this kind of 'ring' of basalt blocks right under the roof, which goes all the way around the building, just to make the building more dynamic and 3-dimensional. Also it could be seen as protection from heavy rains, because the windows only have wooden shutters and obviously no glass in them.

Now the interior:
2019-05-21_11.31.47.png 2019-05-21_11.32.02.png 2019-05-21_11.32.09.png

As you said, the whole ground floor of the building is dedicated to the profession of my owner: Tailoring.
On the left you can see the yet unused fabric and leather, sorted in color and a hanging from the wall, to dry and prepare them for working.
On the right you have the working area.
We have strings hanging from the ceiling and ready to be used on the left workbench, and on the right we have more cloth already cut in the right shapes. After finishing a clothing the tailor can wash it in the barrel on the wall and hang it from the ceiling to dry.

2019-05-21_11.32.31.png 2019-05-21_11.36.28.png

The biggest room on the first floor is the kitchen. I don't think there is much to say about it, its just a small, kitchen with a little desk in the middle for cooking/ eating.

LukeJackson

Mummer
2019-05-21_11.32.38.png

The second room on the first floor is just a small one, where the tailor can write down all the sales he has done that day. The door on the wall is for a small one block balcony, so the tailor can let in some fresh air or look over the street.

2019-05-21_11.32.54.png
2019-05-21_12.18.12.png 2019-05-21_12.18.23.png

The bigger balcony on the front is just a relaxing area for the tailor and his family after a stressful day at work. We have some seating accommodations and a barrel of wine.
2019-05-21_11.36.46.png
2019-05-21_11.36.53.png
2019-05-21_11.37.10.png
On the second floor I began with a room for the two children of the tailor.

2019-05-21_11.37.19.png 2019-05-21_11.37.23.png

The other room on the second floor is like a small family room, because it has no strictly dedicated use.
The children can play here, the tailor can do business here with a important client or the family could eat here as well.

Attachments

• 2019-05-21_12.18.12.png
    2019-05-21_12.18.12.png
    755 KB · Views: 0

LukeJackson

Mummer
2019-05-21_11.37.36.png 2019-05-21_11.37.39.png 2019-05-21_11.37.43.png

The last floor, the dachstuhl, is for the tailor and his wife. There is not much to say about it, it's just where they sleep.

On the other side we have some more unused fabric. It's a reserved stock for when his supplies downstairs are empty.

Well, that is my take on a middle class building in Stoney Sept.
I hope you like it.
Just let me know if you want to see any other angles.
Already looking forward for your feedback!!

Have a good day,
Simon

Reactions: CashBanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Luke/Simon
Thanks for putting that work into the Stony Sept tailor, I really like the attention to detail and little touches you've added, it's definitely the right attitude!

- Overall, the house works, you've executed well on the SS style and shown enough evidence that the tailor is successful enough to support a middle class income.
- I do wonder about the roofline, I'm not sure about how the top level is one block smaller than the level below it. If the two levels of daub were the same length/width, you'd eliminate the need for that ring of basalt stairs around the 4 sides, and I think it would be more consistent with the SS style.

- You could add a bit more variety to the base stone blocks by mixing in some stone and small smooth stone brick like in this example:
77eqEGV.png

-And just as a tip if you work on another tailor/fabric worker one day, you can use pistons/buttons to make create fabric rolls
OVbhfEM.png

-Also when working on the top level attics, make sure that the exterior roof isn't visible from inside the house, you can use stairs/half doors to create rafters, e.g.
U0citpj.png

- the chimney in the attic probably doesn't need that wood panel cladding either.

- It'll depend on the plot but the tailor would probably have a yard as well that they could use for washing/veges.

Next up, try your hand at a low class, thatch roof farmer's house in the style of Holy Hall. Take a look around the villages and hamlets, like /warp holyhallvillage 2 to get a sense for the house/yard size and layouts. Focus on keeping the interiors low class and modest, without being too empty (pro tip: 1-2 spider webs help add character to an otherwise bare house) and making a really good yard - for the purpose of this build, I'd like to see a clothesline, a small firewood shed and some veggies.

Reactions: LukeJackson