knownfunnyman Builder Application

knownfunnyman

Mummer

United States

I was watching the show and wondered if someone built Westeros in Minecraft. Google led me here.

Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The 10th Kingdom.

Game of Thrones

All of the above

Arya: Arya is the most competitive candidate for a character that I like the best. She is the rebellious type which makes her exciting. She does things her way and always stuck to her character arc. Of everyone, she is the most human. Her past experiences changed her through all eight seasons. She was willing to change for others and loves her family, something I deeply respect.

I am very good at economic theory and fiscal planning. I can advise on what makes a realistic build when it comes to money and how things would really be set up. I understand this is a feudal world and not an "Adam Smith Wealth of Nations" world. When the server does release as a full RPG economy game, with the help of someone like me, that transition shouldn't be too drastic.

Sadly, season eight of GoT ended. I feel a gaping hole and a lack of purpose without my GoT fix. But just because the show ended does not mean that I cannot indulge myself into the lore. I found this server after the last season and saw it as my calling. I want to continue immersing myself in GoT and a server like this offers no better way to do it.

Will submit once a challenge is issued by a Moderator.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by thecoddfish on Jun 3, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Your challenge is to build a house in the style of the server, as per the application guidelines. We will review your app once this is done.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi knownfunnyman, sorry for the wait. I've been very busy irl and haven't had as much time for reviewing applications - thanks for your patience.

You seem to have a good grasp of some of the basic concepts we apply on the server - for instance, house shape and materials, interior design and detailing surroundings - but you probably need to spend some more time on the server learning some more of the specifics. Places like Highgarden, King's Landing, White Harbor, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering and Bandallon are good places to visit to learn how to build in our style.

Here is a list of things that you should keep in mind for your next build: it is by no means exhaustive, but I think you will pick up on a lot of things just exploring around in game.
  • Glass windows should be reserved for richer houses in larger towns
  • Keep item frames to a bare minimum (or simply don't use them) - they cause lag and can periodically be messed with by guests
  • Ideally use a different colour roofing material to the walls
  • Cover the sides of crafting table/cabinet blocks that aren't being used with another block or a half-door
  • Don't just use a furnace in the wall randomly - it should be connected to a chimney
  • Use more candles rather than torch blocks - just make sure you put the candles on a flat surface, rather than attached at a funny angle to the wall
I think you're off to a promising start. For your first challenge, I'd like you to build a house in the style of Cape Kraken - you can visit /warp Burnley, Marton, Southwold, Heskey, Fermont, Clennon, Hove, Saltern etc for examples - you're spoiled for choice! Focus on making a house that would fit in with those builds, with humble interiors and a good yard.

Best of luck!

knownfunnyman

Mummer
I've finished the challenge. The family of three is low class and work as a cabbage and carrot farmer in Southwold. The house includes wood stocks, three beds, a table, fireplace, garden, privy, and food storage. May not have mentioned other things. Please have a look below and feel free to give honest, unfiltered feedback!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
I'm incredibly impressed, you've done a great job with that house. Only piece of feedback I have is to be wary of making "bubble yards" (where the yard is just a randomly shaped blob, rather than being logically constructed) but this isn't really the case here at all anyway.

For your next challenge, can you please build a house in the style of Fairmarket. Focus particularly on using the daub and wattle blocks correctly (patterned), thinking about how the house interfaces with those around it, and making great interiors. My number one tip for making 2+ storey houses is to plan the staircase and fireplace first, and to also think about how to make the attic work (keeping in mind that the roof needs rafters!).

Good luck!

knownfunnyman

Mummer
Once again I've completed my challenge. This time I decided to make a hypothetical mercenary company called "The Green Company". They are based in Fairmarket as you requested Maester. The images are available below. Once again give me some feedback. I want to be insulted! (It's how we grow).
My bad the pictures aren't in order!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Interesting concept - I can't see mercenary companies homes being particularly common in Westeros, but you did a really good job. The main pointer I want to give is that the double wide furnace set up is a bit lazy - you would be better off making a proper fireplace using some stair/slab blocks. There are plenty of examples on the server of how to achieve this. The carpets/rugs are potentially a little small and random at times (like the green one in the image with the furnaces) and we don't use the armour stand blocks on the server, but other than that I don't really have anything to say - which is a good thing!

I think you're just about at the standard of the server, so here's one more challenge for you. Please make a blacksmith's house in the style of Bandallon. Focus particularly on keeping the interiors humble yet tidy (to reflect the no-nonsense household of a tradesman and his family), creating a great work area (indoors or outdoors - your choice) and making the house blend with the surroundings. I'd recommend asking around in game for good examples of blacksmiths to get an idea of how we make things - doing some research of your own can be helpful too!

Good luck!

PS: Great immersion build!

knownfunnyman

Mummer
Here it is! The blacksmith of Bandallon as you requested. I tried to keep the household design humble while restricting the usual clutter of other houses. Also, there is an apple orchard behind their home because I needed terrain to blend the house in with. They don't own it!
P.S: The cart is gone because the Blacksmith decided to make his lazy son go buy iron from the smelter. He'll be back shortly!

Last edited:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
I like it.

There's really nothing to criticise here, you've done a wonderful job. I think you're more than capable to continue learning the art of building in game, so on that note I'm happy to approve this application.

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Best of luck, I look forward to seeing you continue to grow as a builder on our server.