Kl 33B

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JJ,

i'm wondering on why you chose to nuke all of the existing houses and replace it all?

Our process for the KL facelift is normally to mark houses with red, orange and green markers to decide on how to update the house.
Did you categorize all the previous houses as 'red', or "nuke"-worthy?

Reactions: JJLyric

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JJ,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this. Overall I think things are coming together well! Here's some of my feedback so far:

Plans

- The current wide-open market area doesn't really feel proportional with the relatively short houses surrounding it, and I'm also not sure that it makes sense to have such a sizeable market area with the Mud Gate square right next to it. What I'd probably do is bring Codd's tavern and the adjacent gray wool building Southeast a bit. I think it would look better to have the gray building spanning the alley leading to the fountain, with the alley passing through the arch in the building (I think this is what Codd originally intended anyways). So, something a bit closer to how it is in the current district.

- I like the two stone arches that span this alley in the current version of the district as well, so I'd probably narrow the entrance there slightly. Although I do like the idea of widening the yard in the center of the alley and making it a shared yard space, like the ones in KL1.

- You might want to add some larger shared yards between the houses and the wall as well, rather than just having a bunch of individual yards.

- I'd leave a little bit more space between Littlefinger's brothel and the building directly in front of it so it's not too cramped (I think Littlefinger's brothel itself should also be shifted slightly so the street leading up to it has a better sightline, but that's on whoever does the other district).

Style

- I'm not super fond of the barrels in the one house; these are used occasionally in KL but generally more subtle.

- The wood cover + chain trapdoor windows - these are way overused and should be much more scarce IMO. I elaborated a bit on it here, but they're just not a particularly common type of window in medieval architecture and are overly complex. Most of the houses should just stick with normal window designs.

- The tests look pretty good otherwise. Using some orange brick to fit with the mud gate substyle is a good shout, though of course your district should start transitioning away from that substyle (so orange brick should be less common as you head from west to east).

- I'd like to see a couple of the example houses worked into the district plotting, along with some of the surrounding details/context, just so there's a more complete example of what the final product will look like.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this! I can also help you out in-game once you've had a stab at improving the plotting.

Reactions: Azulejo and JJLyric

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks!, I made it sound like I was going to fill the whole district with orange but there is only two nearer the gate :D
Here is the pics of my, style, and street view.
I will decrease the amount of windows like that to almost extinct in this district
I did the plotting feedback but there is still some weird space behind codds build. I would like to know on what you would put there as I am a bit stuck
the orange dividers indicate shared yards, No yards will be shared if there is a alley dividing them!
Edit: I wanted to try something new but the no overhang build is kind of strange I haven't seen it being done. If not appropriate I can easily just add a overhang :thumbs:
Edit Edit: I talked to you with this but the profs will be the same, Some residential, mercer, tailor, inn, tavern, pub nothing too special

Last edited:
Reactions: RavishMeRed

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JJ,

I'm happy with your plans for the district now. Approved! Although it's a small district, I recommend splitting it into two or three "phases" just for the sake of more effective quality control.

Reactions: Flip90

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Yup! I plan for small progress anyway with my 3 builds at a time rule. This means if there are 3 builds not approved no more building can be done until I approve another build, I will paste it in and have the old district above.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I think there needs to be some plot reconsideration. I'm quite lost as to why the district as a whole was nuked. I feel it was a pretty linear section that didn't need any plot shape updating, mainly the facade shape and forms of the houses.

First off, the even centered peaked roofs should be well avoided. A peaked roof needs to look like it comes to a distinct point too. These houses here are what I'm referring too. Generally, avoid even centered peaked roofs. Even centered 90 degree roofs (stairs) are fine, same with slabs.

Secondly, the side facing the wall needs variation. Currently there is only yard space. I feel some variation would help benefit that linear section. I would take a look at other w.i.p districts that border the wall for inspiration.

Lastly, I would keep track closely of your roof lines. Roof lines are just important as the rest of the build and in long linear sections like what your district contains, they should feel flowing, cohesive, somewhat continuous. The roofs don't have to fit all together, but appear as a whole unit rather.

I hope this feedback can help. This is in no way meant as a discouragement or supposed to hurt any feelings.

Last edited:

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
I think there needs to be some plot reconsideration. I'm quite lost as to why the district as a whole was nuked. I feel it was a pretty linear section that didn't need any plot shape updating, mainly the facade shape and forms of the houses.

First off, the even centered peaked roofs should be well avoided. A peaked roof needs to look like it comes to a distinct point too. These houses here are what I'm referring too. Generally, avoid even centered peaked roofs. Even centered 90 degree roofs (stairs) are fine, same with slabs.

Secondly, the side facing the wall needs variation. Currently there is only yard space. I feel some variation would help benefit that linear section. I would take a look at other w.i.p districts that border the wall for inspiration.

Lastly, I would keep track closely of your roof lines. Roof lines are just important as the rest of the build and in long linear sections like what your district contains, they should feel flowing, cohesive, somewhat continuous. The roofs don't have to fit all together, but appear as a whole unit rather.

I hope this feedback can help. This is in no way meant as a discouragement or supposed to hurt any feelings.
Thank you for pointing this stuff out it really helps. I made the roof line more like the mud gate with it flowing more consistently. I also added some building in the yards like in the adjacent district from the mud gate to help it feel more Mud gatey?? Anyway thank you scub as well for helping me and pointing out some stylistic differs from what is already there :p all should be good now.