JTDK Builder Application

JTDK

Mummer

Australia

I think I saw somebody mention the server on Reddit somewhere a year or two ago, and I have heard mentions of it in videos here and there, like Bdoubleo100, etc.

LotR

Game of Thrones

All of the above

Davos Seaworth; I read the first ASOIAF book when I was a child, so I don't remember him from it, but I've loved the character in the show since his first appearance. He's a funny, snarky, blunt character that sadly hasn't gotten enough screen time, when I eventually get around to reading all the books, I will be looking forward to reading about him.

I've always loved reading and about history, and I would like to think I'm relatively knowledgeable. I've been playing Minecraft since it's release and always taken to the Medieval style of building, and have worked for hours upon hours to find my unique building style, within that genre.

I really like what you guys have done on the server, I always come on every couple of months to see what new builds have popped up, and I always enjoy them. Being apart of a community as large, and as driven as yours would be a delight.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey JTDK,
Thanks for your application and glad to see you're a fan of GoT and the fantasy genre, you've come to the right place!

You've done a nice job with your first house, you've clearly put a lot of thought into the smaller details and exploring all our custom blocks.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.

- These days we try to avoid "framing" houses with logs (in general, don't use the full log blocks in houses, they just look pretty clunky).

- Every project will have it's own particular style of roof/wood color/stone bricks etc, so a house's appearance will always change on a project by project basis, as a general point though I think all the gaps/stairs in these wooden walls seem a little messy and overly detailed, you would be fine to just keep it a little cleaner with standard wooden plank blocks and then make 1x1 or 1x2 windows with shutters.
YbhdGPE.png

-I can see you've put effort into making the thatch roof look lumpy/rough, I think you might've taken it a little far though, here's an example of what we would generally aim for with thatch roofs.

QR2Z1Lu.png

- Nice work with the mix of stone block bricks.

- Halfdoors are the preferred block of choice rather than trap doors.

- With cabinet/drawer blocks, always make sure that only one face is exposed, use half doors to cover up the rest, e.g. here:
PVMU4Y5.png

- On our server we classify buildings based on their class, they are either Low, Middle or High class, and this indicates the size/wealth/fanciness/profession of the building. In this house you've used a number of blocks that we would usually reserve for high class houses (the green wool carpet, the paper, book shelves, any glass blocks). On future builds it's worth keeping in mind that these blocks should generally only be used on Middle/High class houses and as you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

- All the small details in the yard/dock look great too, just again avoid the use of trapdoors, like on the pier logs.

You're definitely off to a good start, it you haven't already, take a look at the other suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey JTDK,
Hey Luke, thanks for completing that first challenge, you've clearly put a lot of thought into it and paid attention to the Hawthorne style, you've done a great job!
- I think you've nailed a lot of the the important elements like the mix of stone blocks and the interior blocks.
- It's most common for houses in the hawthorne to have a diagonal thatch stair block roof. or the steeper thatch block/stair combo as opposed to the less steep thatch slab as you've done on this one. Here's an example of that block stair combo:
AF2s8zg.png

The extra height gives you more room inside and gives the house a little more of an interesting profile.
- You're on the right track with the daub blocks too but I think they could be a little more symmetrical and neatly arranged, try incorporate "patterns" so to speak, and frame things like windows/plain daub patches with the diagonal line daub blocks mirroring each other on either side.
- Most houses in rural towns would also usually have a small yard with a brick fence like in the pic above where you can add small details like a veggie patch/washing line.

Otherwise you're off to a really good start.
Next up, try your hand at a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Take a look at the styleguide at the warp and the finished houses in the White Harbor area and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker).

Let me know if any questions
Good luck!