Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
jean_le_bon

What is your age?
13-16

In what country are you living?
France

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like medieval europe and people writing about their kinks

What is your favorite build on our server?
including WIP stuff Maidenpoole, Oldtown, Vinetown, King's Landing redo
not including Highgarden, Wickenden, the Ring, Duskendale

Why do you want to join our server?
I've been doing stuff on minecraft for a while, I'm a big fan of the GOT tv show and intimatly familiar with the books even though I didn't read them so it feels logical, I've also been a builder on Ardacraft for a while now and I want to broaden my horizons a bit

2023-08-29_20.31.58.png2023-08-29_21.01.12.png2023-08-29_21.01.18.png2023-08-29_21.01.22.png2023-08-29_21.01.29.png2023-08-29_21.01.39.png2023-08-29_21.01.46.png2023-08-29_21.02.00.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jean,

Thanks for the application, and glad to see your interest in joining the team!

Nice work with the apphouse, not seeing any issues there. I hope the exercise was a helpful introduction to our block pack and building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. I recommend studying the elements of multiple houses in the style (furniture, timber frame patterns, rafter designs, etc.) and trying to synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp duskendale. Let me know if you've got any questions about anything!

jean_le_bon

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
alright, just to clarify I didn't give up on the app, I've been busy with schoolwork and haven't had so much time these days, will try to send you the screenshots by the end of next week though

Reactions: Emoticone11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jean,

Awesome work on this house, I'd say you've gotten the Duskendale style down pretty well! The interior design seems solid, I particularly love the little raised bed area on the second floor.

I have a little bit of feedback, mostly pretty minor:

- For the chimney design, the stair block and tapering at the top make it feel a bit too crumbly (unless intentional). I'd recommend going with the full block base + wall block top design that's typical in Duskendale, as it's a bit more sturdy looking:

2023-10-14_17.54.04.png

- For weathering like in this picture, I suggest using stair blocks most of the time, as using full wall block indents can be a bit too chunky. It might be possible to make some better designs by mixing stairs and walls now that we've migrated to 1.18 though (I haven't tested this yet myself).

- Use "half door" blocks for the sides of the cabinet here rather than shutters.

- When making interior stairs such as in this picture, it's typical to place another block (upside-down stairs, upside-down slabs, or hoppers) under the stair blocks in order to avoid the stairs only being connected at the corners.

For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp ghosthill. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about either the feedback or the ghost hill style. Good luck!

Reactions: Finn01

jean_le_bon

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
I feel I aught to give an update on this as it's been months since I last put something on here, so yeah I've been busy with life stuff, other servers and didn't really get to work much on my app but I have gone back to it and should have it done by the end of the week

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jean,

No worries at all, glad to see you're interested in continuing!

Since we recently moved builder applications over to our Discord server, I'd like to give you the option to move your app there if you want. Just make a new post in the #applications channel and link to this thread, and we can carry on where we left off. If you would prefer to finish the app on the forums, that's also fine, just let me know.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Very nicely done with the layout on this house, I like the subtle asymmetries!

My main feedback this time is just to simplify the stone/plaster palette a bit. Usually for normal-sized houses you want to keep it within a range of 3-5 main blocks or else it can get too busy. For the most part the houses in Ghost Hill use either the white palette or the light brown palette. Also off the top of my head the darkest brown plaster color isn't used in the Ghost Hill style.

For smoothing out some of the harsher contrasts between plaster blocks, one trick is using the "rough" plaster variants to transition from a lighter color to darker color.

The exterior detailing and interiors seem good however.

For a tentative final build, I'd like to see a rural house in the style of /warp beresford, with a yard attached. Let me know if you've got any questions!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jean,

This house looks fantastic! My only feedback really is to decrease the spacing of the rafters a bit in the interior, since there's a lot of thatch showing through. Granted this can be tricky in diagonal houses.

Otherwise you nailed the style though, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to ask a moderator in-game to promote you and set you up with a test plot next time you catch one online.

Make sure to read over the New Builder guide, found here: https://westeroscraft.com/docs/guides/new-builders-guide

You'll also want to open a thread in the #applications channel on the discord server for your apprenticeship - you can just mention that you've already been approved and link to this thread.

You can start building at any open locations on the server - note that the dynmap plot sign feature mentioned in the guide is not yet migrated to 1.18, so the best thing is to check the forums for recently active projects or otherwise ask around to see which builds have open plots. A ranger should claim this thread within a week, and they will give constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general. As sometimes the ranger can be busy IRL, I also highly suggest seeking out feedback from project leaders and other online builders. At the end, you'll be made full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :)