[Inspiration] The North. Bergen In 1350

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
The other day this video appeared on my recommended and I thought someone may be interested. It's a really nice reconstruction of the city of Bergen in Norway in the mid XIV century. I think it would be perfect for the North, the architecture already resembles what we have going on there. I really like the wooden houses combined with the whitewashed buildings, the long dock and the gothic building that contrast so harsly with the rest of the city. Also the way the streets are layed out, parallel to each other, would be a nice and distinctive feature for whatever project that uses them. I imagine this could be a town founded by the Manderlys near Whiteharbor, or maybe a settlement in the Bite/Shivering Sea.

Also, it's in (I assume) Norwegian, which I don't know anything about, so if someone does it'd be nice since it seems to go into detail on some of the structures, and this same channel (the official Bergen city council channel) has more videos that go deep into (and inside!) some of the buildings.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The style of Cape Kraken is already similar to this but I would love for the largest wooden town we know of, Barrowton, to be like this model of Bergen, especially with the larger estates on the outside that can be seen in the first replace wipes of present-day Bergen.
We have an example of at least one of these, Goldgrass in the books. I suspect there are more like it, the equivalent of landed knights sworn to Dustin.

If I remember correctly, Carcinogenius made a few tests of houses that look like those Bergen ones with a mixture of slate, wood and thatch roofing

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
My approach to choosing East coast for this was to make it so it's benefited from trade with Essos, but your points are perfectly valid. West North could use it too.

Reactions: SseriousBusiness
My approach to choosing East coast for this was to make it so it's benefited from trade with Essos, but your points are perfectly valid. West North could use it too.
Either coast could work since on one side you’d have Essos trading network and King’s landing, and the other old town, Highgarden Lannisport trading network so. One thing I’d say is to keep these types of settlements to a maximum of 1 or 2 (and 2 is a stretch), the North is supposed to be very rudimentary and “wild”. But I love love this inspiration and video!!

Reactions: Azulejo

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Other options are Widow's Watch, Oldcastle, Woolfield, and Blackpool reboots when they become available

Reactions: Azulejo