Approved Immersion Build - A hidden valley with a village, North of Yronwood-by Antony_Justman & Zsomiking

Antony

Printmaker
Ok, so here's the app :D

Because the Area is too quite expansive, we probably need two approving mods for the Project.
With it, we are aiming, to give, a different yet familiar feel to the region, which undoubtedly has quite a Cretan feel to it, the history and culture of Northern Dornishmen, is quite similar to ours, so We thought it would be cool to depict that. Plus that area is quite empty and out of Canon, so thats a reason too.

Feel free to comment below.

DA GOAT.jpg

Hi Anthony. I like the idea of filling empty regions in the Red Mountains.

Regarding the inspiration, I feel like Crete/Riviera should be more fitting with the far South reach from Starfall to the Arbor. Curently Dorne is migrating from an Ottoman/Arabesque to Moorish Spain up to the Pyrenees region. There's not that big of a difference so adjusting won't be hard I think.

This is somewhat of a thing discussed before (Parren having a lot Greek influence) whereas the region is mainly Italy+France-ish. Just keep regional inspiration continuity in mind.

The Middle class houses look quite good whereas the low class houses have a bit of a shoe box feel to them.

The double halled sept seems to be a bit undersized maybe it should be enlarged by a 1.2-1.5 factor ? I like the concept but you should simplify the baroque facade so it looks less cluttery and more medieval.

You should make the project overall look like an extension of Wyl.

Having said so, this looks promising I just hope this advice helps.

Antony

Printmaker
Hi Anthony. I like the idea of filling empty regions in the Red Mountains.

Regarding the inspiration, I feel like Crete/Riviera should be more fitting with the far South reach from Starfall to the Arbor. Curently Dorne is migrating from an Ottoman/Arabesque to Moorish Spain up to the Pyrenees region. There's not that big of a difference so adjusting won't be hard I think.

This is somewhat of a thing discussed before (Parren having a lot Greek influence) whereas the region is mainly Italy+France-ish. Just keep regional inspiration continuity in mind.

The Middle class houses look quite good whereas the low class houses have a bit of a shoe box feel to them.

The double halled sept seems to be a bit undersized maybe it should be enlarged by a 1.2-1.5 factor ? I like the concept but you should simplify the baroque facade so it looks less cluttery and more medieval.

You should make the project overall look like an extension of Wyl.

Having said so, this looks promising I just hope this advice helps.

Ye, regarding the low class houses, its because I made them, long live my shitty building skills.

But allow me to disagree with the inspiration. Because I believe the place is perfect. Firstly, climate wise, Crete is a combo between cold and warm. So it isnt really a Riviera climate, if I am thinking it right. During winter, Crete can be litteraly covered by snow, and it looks more like the North than Dorne.

The other, more southern regions, dont have the extremely mountainous terrain Crete has.
The description of the Red mountains fits perfectly, with the description of central Crete.
Extremely mountainous. check
Forested. Check (we got some pretty big pine forrests, the Selakano forrest, which goes all the way from the south to the north coast, and it is big)
Hidden Valleys. Check
High mountain Meadows. Check
(They are a bit rocky, but ok, still meadows)
Chilly weather at night. Check
(Almost all the terrain, because of the mountains, has some elevation, thus it gets more cold, thus it gets a lot of snow in winter, and thus, you need a jacket, for the cold, at a summers night. And that elevation is what makes it different from the Riviera, because ofcourse here, coastal Crete is not an option, so the much more suited central part, is ideal for the place, a place that can 3 meters deep snow during a cold winter and I got proof for that
20200713_081636.jpg
Thats near the village of Kritsa, Central-Eastern Crete,
20200529_230714.jpg
Thats a road in Psiloritis, tallest mountain of Crete, in winter time. Thats why the climate of the central part, isnt similar to the Riviera, Azure Coast)
The similar style people. Check
(Cretans fight each other like dogs, so did the Dornishmen of the Red Mountains, before Nymeria)

If the Cretan mountains arent the Red mountains, I dont know what they are.

As for the sept, we can change that, even though the main building its well into the timeframe, but the facade is actually 14th century one. So we could afford to do some changes on that.
I am already thinking of possible replacements.

Edit: Ottoman-Arabesque? Let me tell you one thing, at least in the European side, and western Asia Minor, from what I know, the Ottomans, didnt really build anything major, they re-used what was left by the Westerners and the Byzantines, or they copied Byzantine techniques, and their style is much more contemporary to the 15th century than the 13th - 11th century stuff. Thats my opinion ofcourse, from what I have seen. Idk about the Arab style that much tbh. So i just tackled the Ottoman part. The Ottoman Arabesque style, would nonetheless go perfectly to the Deserty part of Dorne. In case, thats what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Okay so I support Antony and Zsomiking on this one. It surely makes sense that there will be some insular communities within the red mountains. We know that there are hidden valleys and likely a few microclimates as the red mountains are perhaps the longest chain in Westeros, stretching from Starfall to Griffin's Roost.

I agree the building style is different from Wyl, but not all that dissimilar. It looks kinda like an updated blend of the Skyreach/Flatroof Yronwood and Wyl/Kingsgrave style to me and works very well for the area.

Terra wise, I'd say make the valley reasonably open to the Yronwood swamp and have high meadows visible from the swamp. Then have steep goat tracks like the boneway over a high ridge into Kingsgrave territory.

Reactions: Zso and Antony

Antony

Printmaker
Me and Zso, do agree with that preposition, and we will certainly use it. The Gates, would trully be more spectacular, and dramatic, if it where towards Kingsgrave, making the terrain, more seamingly dramatic

I am sorry for not being specific but when I was talking about regionalism I was mostly referring to architectural style. I'd suggest you talk anything climate/terraforming with Endy because he's doing a lot of work in that region.

Reactions: Antony
Hey ant and zso

I am happy with the made changes in style. Personaly, I would move atleast one manor out of the village and place it in their olive groves. The village i would cap at around 15 house, which mostly would be poor farmers. Be carefull not to overcrowd the vale! That being said, you have my blessing. The Red Mountains are an very intresting region and I’m sure you’ll live up to the standards that i’ve set out for the region. Once a second mod approves you can start. Good luck!

Antony

Printmaker
I'd like to announce, that for the time beeing, I'd like to draw myself out of this immersion, for a small period of time.

As it is indeed quite hard, and overwhelming, if I may say so, doing all that terra alone• I will leave the project, until Zso comes back, as he is currently unable, to help me finish the terra.

Edit: I am not abandoning it ofcourse, think of it as a vacation leave, kinda.

Last edited:

Zso

Poet
I take to opportunity to write it here:

Ant knows it but i left multiple things in half too, not only this immersion build so I say this in general : please forgive my absence
I know i was rarely online lately but im checking the forums and the dynmap every day, i intend to return soon and continue building the things i started :)

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I know you're both taking a break from this project but I wanted to suggest that in the mountains around the village you could add evidence of past Vulture Kings. Most of them hid out in caves and in small camps in secluded parts of the mountains. Its looking great though!

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

Antony

Printmaker
The domain of the first Volture king, is at Volture's Roost, and the valley, of ours lies one massive mountainrange away from it, making it quite difficult to reach. But ofcourse some small caves would be a nice addition, but I woulnt say, they would have any relation with them, because It is a great pain in the @ss, if I may say to cross the Red Mountains, and reach the Stormlands and Reach from there, as there is no direct connection or path, to the valley of the river Wyl.

Antony

Printmaker
I'd like to announce, that my "vacation" leave is now finished, after deciding, that making my home sweet home, can wait, till a more prefferable time.

Ofcourse, due to life reasons, the progress on the terra, and generaly the project, will be extremely slow. But as, we are not in a hurry, that will not be that much of a problem.

Reactions: Ric and Scubooty

Antony

Printmaker
Right, a bit of bad news here.

We have found this area of our immersion griefed, though we are sure whoever the perpetrator was, didn't have the intention to destroy.

Here's how it was and how it is now:
How it was:
Screenshot_20210718-122558_Gallery.jpg
Now, here, how it is now:
2021-07-18_9.39.19_.png

Could please, people that have visited it recently, let us know if they did it.

Thank you
-Ant & Zso

Last edited: