Idea : Undead Event

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Hey all!

So I was going over the Almanach and thinking about previous MMO’s I’d played before, and I thought of Pirates of the Caribbean online. To cut things short I’ll give you a quick rundown of another idea I’m playing with. PvE events are a fun way to bring the community together and offer rewards to those that participate. Pirates Online was focused around a villain called Jolly Roger, and every now and then he would “invade” different ports with his army of undead. Players would be notified beforehand that the invasion was coming, and would be prompted to travel and fight if they wished to. Having an event like this with the Wights/White Walkers invading a keep at the wall or something of that nature would be extremely fun and pressure players to play and get better gear to be able to assist with the invasion. There would be regular enemies and a final boss players would be prompted to defeat. Those who participate would obviously earn rewards such as items/exp/money etc. As I said this is just an idea I thought might be fun to introduce. Let me know what you guys think!

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
We’ve actually had something like this going on already (@CashBanks can tell you about it), but I think we ran into some problems having it going continuously?

Interesting, I’ll have to get in contact wit him. I imagine this taking place once a month like our siege events will. Only difference is this would be more of a PvE siege where the players defend against NPC attackers and a final boss. We should be able to accomplish this with plugins such as MythicMobs, etc. I know they have support for boss mobs that can spawn entities. Would be something to look into more after talking with coders and moderator team. I definitely think this can be done! We will find a way!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
This also could be re-wired to have pirate lords in the stepstones. If they are allowed to build in power and not invaded to be dealt with, they can invade larger and larger ports. (like they likely could have done in the War of Ninepenny Kings) These could act the same, just against living opponents, which would be far easier to kill. Remember, the wights just don't die after having their heads cut off

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
This also could be re-wired to have pirate lords in the stepstones. If they are allowed to build in power and not invaded to be dealt with, they can invade larger and larger ports. (like they likely could have done in the War of Ninepenny Kings) These could act the same, just against living opponents, which would be far easier to kill. Remember, the wights just don't die after having their heads cut off

Good point! Unfortunately at this point I think it is best if we focus on players defending until we figure the mechanics of that out. But this could definitely make for a fun special event! I was thinking of creating special items/weapons that are only obtainable through completing special events. This could be a good event for this, once we get there! Thanks for the ideas and input!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Yeah we experimented with this to tie into Season 8

Since PvP doesn't work yet and it's relatively easy to spawn hundreds of zombies it was easy enough to setup a few PvE areas. I intended /warp PvE to be the spawn hub area for it, with /warp fistfight and /warp winterwinterfell more or less ready to use.

Problems are:
- Guests having to ask mods to swap them to gm2 is a bit clunky
- the mob spawn system isn’t ideal since it relies on either mods spawning them manually or using red stone dispensers which are a bit unreliable/lackluster.
- the vanilla mobs are too dumb/weak to be that threatening

Best solution, as you flagged would be to add some kind of mob combat mod that could be used to automatically trigger a mob attack event with customizable waves of them generated. I’m sure some kind of mod like that exists, but we might not be able to make any major changes until the move to 1.12. Feel free to see if you can test any of those mods out in single player.

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Yeah we experimented with this to tie into Season 8

Since PvP doesn't work yet and it's relatively easy to spawn hundreds of zombies it was easy enough to setup a few PvE areas. I intended /warp PvE to be the spawn hub area for it, with /warp fistfight and /warp winterwinterfell more or less ready to use.

Problems are:
- Guests having to ask mods to swap them to gm2 is a bit clunky
- the mob spawn system isn’t ideal since it relies on either mods spawning them manually or using red stone dispensers which are a bit unreliable/lackluster.
- the vanilla mobs are too dumb/weak to be that threatening

Best solution, as you flagged would be to add some kind of mob combat mod that could be used to automatically trigger a mob attack event with customizable waves of them generated. I’m sure some kind of mod like that exists, but we might not be able to make any major changes until the move to 1.12. Feel free to see if you can test any of those mods out in single player.

First off, that video was incredibly entertaining I must say! I like the scenery for Winterfell...looks very similar to the show!

Second, I will look around and see if I can't find any mods or plugins that would allow us to do something like this. In my experience, plugins would be best for regulating the frequency and duration of the events, as well as executing commands to keep the mod running and doing what it needs to do for said event. I will be in touch with you once I figure something out @CashBanks !

Last but not least, I will be PM'ing you in the near future to see if we can't get together and discuss where things are at...since I'm taking over, I'd like to have a clear baseline for myself to go off of in terms of where development is at, what needs tested, and what cannot be done.

Thanks! Have a nice night!

Reactions: CashBanks

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Good point! Unfortunately at this point I think it is best if we focus on players defending until we figure the mechanics of that out. But this could definitely make for a fun special event! I was thinking of creating special items/weapons that are only obtainable through completing special events. This could be a good event for this, once we get there! Thanks for the ideas and input!

Making attacks on enemies or raids against them will be more difficult to accomplish so naturally would be something to get ready afterwards.

The special items/weapons could be cool, some ancient first men sword, axe or horn could have been carried by the undead horde. On the topic of pirates though, it would allow people to use exotic weapons like Arakhs, Tyroshi blades and Norvosi axes after defeating the raiders.

Reactions: W1ck3dWolf

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Making attacks on enemies or raids against them will be more difficult to accomplish so naturally would be something to get ready afterwards.

The special items/weapons could be cool, some ancient first men sword, axe or horn could have been carried by the undead horde. On the topic of pirates though, it would allow people to use exotic weapons like Arakhs, Tyroshi blades and Norvosi axes after defeating the raiders.

Correct, it would make for a very attractive event to complete for the simple idea of getting a rare item. As you mentioned, this could be a weapon such as the Dothraki Arakhs, or even something like Unsullied armor pieces. There is so much we could do with raids. I think this would be more of a “dungeon” type thing, which could easily be accomplished with a plugin like Mythic Mobs. Players would need to travel to the appropriate area and find the boss to kill. Of course the dungeons would only be active every so often...

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Certain travel routes would likely become safer and less prone as the amount of armed men passed through them on their way to the conflict areas. However, the reverse could happen if a group of people decided to take 'liberties' on the lands they passed through.

Bosses are an interesting concept as finding the boss may be the great difficulty. If we want to go from a realistic angle, the Boss will likely be no larger or much more obvious than the rest of the combatants. e.g. If a ironborn raid is somehow taking place and players are trying to destroy the boss. The boss, a captain, is identifiable because of his better armour and weapons, and wealthier garb. The armour and weapons will then translate to greater damage and defence capabilities.

For attacks of the undead, that might have to be constrained to the far north and beyond the wall. Perhaps if a Great Ranging is declared that kind of raid would be possible but remember that fighting undead in ASoIaF is much more difficult than fighting a human army as in the books, as there is no information on what they are vulnerable apart from complete destruction by either fire or hacking the body into so many pieces it is no longer a threat.
Maybe this would be open to those who are either part of the Nightswatch or deal with it regularly e.g. Northern Houses.

On another note, the Brave Companions and other bands employed by Tywin at the end of AGoT to terrorise the riverlands and draw Robb out could have a similar event. E.g. Vargo Hoat's Bloody Mummers have gone rampant, sacking <insert location>. The wretched band have been tracked to <insert location>. and then is an event to put them down. Or the reaving band could be around an area and the lord of the town is trying to hire a force to protect the town.