Approved House Mollen - Finn

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Finn!

We've briefly talked before about this but it might be better to make it public and "official" by having it written here. I'm quite happy with your plans and tests for Mollen, love the fortified manor turned into a keep. My main feedback is regarding the forest: canonically many species of trees, bushes and other plants are present on the Wolfswood, which your project entirely sits on: oak, evergreen and black brier, as well as sentinels, soldier pines, and hawthorn, beech, ash, chestnuts, ironwoods, and firs. Weirwoods are occasionally found isolated or in pairs.[wiki]

I think I would like to see a bit more thought behind it. There is a lot of decidious trees mentioned, which currently the (placeholder) forest in the area doesn't show (tbf it is on the northern side, but I've been told decidious trees should still be there). You've mentioned adding decidious patches, a test of those might be nice. Perhaps a great chunk of your lands is composed of mixed forest (conifers and decidious)?, or maybe some species take over the further North/up you go. I would recommend you getting in touch with the NN (North-Nerds) as I'm sure they would help you a lot. Specially those already working on terra on the region. They might have a better idea on tree distribution.​

Finn01

Envoy
Hey Finn!

We've briefly talked before about this but it might be better to make it public and "official" by having it written here. I'm quite happy with your plans and tests for Mollen, love the fortified manor turned into a keep. My main feedback is regarding the forest: canonically many species of trees, bushes and other plants are present on the Wolfswood, which your project entirely sits on: oak, evergreen and black brier, as well as sentinels, soldier pines, and hawthorn, beech, ash, chestnuts, ironwoods, and firs. Weirwoods are occasionally found isolated or in pairs.[wiki]

I think I would like to see a bit more thought behind it. There is a lot of decidious trees mentioned, which currently the (placeholder) forest in the area doesn't show (tbf it is on the northern side, but I've been told decidious trees should still be there). You've mentioned adding decidious patches, a test of those might be nice. Perhaps a great chunk of your lands is composed of mixed forest (conifers and decidious)?, or maybe some species take over the further North/up you go. I would recommend you getting in touch with the NN (North-Nerds) as I'm sure they would help you a lot. Specially those already working on terra on the region. They might have a better idea on tree distribution.​
Hello Azul,

Here's a map of the different types of forest around the project (see abbreviation list attached):

tree cover map.png

Orange: Mixed deciduous/coniferous woodland (Old growth)
Yellow: Deciduous woodland (Old growth)
Light green: Coniferous woodland (New growth)

So, I spoke to Aeks recently and they mentioned that the sprawl area around Winterfell would have suffered from deforestation at certain points in time, during the leaner periods/epidemics such as the Spring Sickness. This southern forest is largely comprised of conifers such as spruces, pines, firs, etc; as well as some weirwoods that were obviously left alone. This is also the most populated area of the Mollen lands so would be the main area used for logging over time.

The deciduous forest that comprises most of the Mollen lands is largely comprised of oaks, elms, alders, beeches, etc with the occasional ash tree found also. This woodland is older, with some very old-growth sections deep into the woodland around the north.

The mixed woodland areas are slightly different - in the southern portion it is a transitory zone between the 'newer' coniferous woodland and the deciduous woodland - whereas the northern portion is mainly deciduous with some other conifers such as larches, Scots pines, spruces, etc are found further north as it rises in altitude.

I've made two tests on my plot as well (see images attached) if you want to have a look they're on the second level.

Thanks,

F

Attachments

• 2024-04-08_21.26.00.png
    2024-04-08_21.26.00.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 2024-04-08_21.26.07.png
    2024-04-08_21.26.07.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 2024-04-08_21.26.15.png
    2024-04-08_21.26.15.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • speciesabbreviationsfelling.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 9

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hello Azul,

Here's a map of the different types of forest around the project (see abbreviation list attached):

View attachment 18968

Orange: Mixed deciduous/coniferous woodland (Old growth)
Yellow: Deciduous woodland (Old growth)
Light green: Coniferous woodland (New growth)

So, I spoke to Aeks recently and they mentioned that the sprawl area around Winterfell would have suffered from deforestation at certain points in time, during the leaner periods/epidemics such as the Spring Sickness. This southern forest is largely comprised of conifers such as spruces, pines, firs, etc; as well as some weirwoods that were obviously left alone. This is also the most populated area of the Mollen lands so would be the main area used for logging over time.

The deciduous forest that comprises most of the Mollen lands is largely comprised of oaks, elms, alders, beeches, etc with the occasional ash tree found also. This woodland is older, with some very old-growth sections deep into the woodland around the north.

The mixed woodland areas are slightly different - in the southern portion it is a transitory zone between the 'newer' coniferous woodland and the deciduous woodland - whereas the northern portion is mainly deciduous with some other conifers such as larches, Scots pines, spruces, etc are found further north as it rises in altitude.

I've made two tests on my plot as well (see images attached) if you want to have a look they're on the second level.

Thanks,

F
Heya Finn,

Looking at your forest tests, I am blown away. Forests are a hard thing to get right, and you've done a really nice job of detailing the area. A couple notes from me:

1) Duckweed floor cover
In the coniferous forest, the duckweed cover is good. In order to prevent it looking too flat, as the floor cover duckweed block is, I'd add little patches of leaves underneath them to give the impression of some lingering growth and add some dimension to the forest floor.

2) Plant growth
In the deciduous forest, you have the opposite. I feel the plant growth is a little too much, and could do with some toning down of the 2-high plants. A good schem for forest cover is RillsShrubOak I believe it's called. It's made by Endy and it's a really versatile schem, so I'd advise looking into that as alternative forest floor cover.

3) Riparian vegetation
Where you've got your rivers, which are nicely layered and good shapes, add smaller shrubbier trees, as there's typically almost a wall of little shrubs and trees and bushes to push through to get to rivers. As plants need water to survive, it stands to reason that they'd all crowd at the river, much like people crowding the doors of the train on the platform.

Overall your terraforming has come a long way, and it's great to see your efforts paying off.

Good luck,

Jake

Finn01

Envoy
Heya Finn,

Looking at your forest tests, I am blown away. Forests are a hard thing to get right, and you've done a really nice job of detailing the area. A couple notes from me:

1) Duckweed floor cover
In the coniferous forest, the duckweed cover is good. In order to prevent it looking too flat, as the floor cover duckweed block is, I'd add little patches of leaves underneath them to give the impression of some lingering growth and add some dimension to the forest floor.

2) Plant growth
In the deciduous forest, you have the opposite. I feel the plant growth is a little too much, and could do with some toning down of the 2-high plants. A good schem for forest cover is RillsShrubOak I believe it's called. It's made by Endy and it's a really versatile schem, so I'd advise looking into that as alternative forest floor cover.

3) Riparian vegetation
Where you've got your rivers, which are nicely layered and good shapes, add smaller shrubbier trees, as there's typically almost a wall of little shrubs and trees and bushes to push through to get to rivers. As plants need water to survive, it stands to reason that they'd all crowd at the river, much like people crowding the doors of the train on the platform.

Overall your terraforming has come a long way, and it's great to see your efforts paying off.

Good luck,

Jake
Thanks man!

I did try some shrub schems like RillsShrubOak/SeriTinyOak/NettleBocage/etc but the offsets are screwy atm.

Will fix the other stuff too.

Ty

F

Last edited:

Finn01

Envoy
1) Duckweed floor cover
2024-04-10_12.13.58.png

Added spruce leaves under the duckweed occasionally.
2) Plant growth
2024-04-10_12.15.31.png

Tidied it up a bit, got rid of more of those two block high plants so the understory is a bit clearer.
3) Riparian vegetation
2024-04-10_12.19.20.png2024-04-10_12.19.27.png
2024-04-10_12.19.40.png2024-04-10_12.19.35.png

Added smaller bushes/trees to the riverbanks, and for the coniferous forest there probably should be some birches dotted around the water's edge.

Thanks,

F

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Another mod stepping in! Looks alright to me, liking the forest tests. Just keep your mind open to feedback from terraformers and keep the area dynamic and interesting.

Could also make a reference to the point Osha and the deserters attack Bran in your lands.