horble

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
horble

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
Canada

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The world building is my favourite part, it's so detailed that it's easy to get sucked in.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Kings Landing for the sheer ambition of it. Could get lost in there for months

Why do you want to join our server?
I haven't played minecraft in a while but I've always enjoyed making castles and medieval villages. I'm far from the most skilled builder I'm sure but I would really like the opportunity to learn and contribute to something very cool

Tell us about your build.
This is my attempt at a small Crownland farmer's house with a small personal garden. Beds for 3 and some basic foodstuffs inside. I hope this is on the right track and I look forward to finding out how to improve it

2020-11-30_21.24.19.png2020-11-30_21.24.29.png2020-11-30_21.26.12.png2020-11-30_21.26.37.png2020-11-30_21.30.47.png2020-11-30_21.31.18.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi Horble,

Thanks for the application! Good on you for showing initiative and creating a Duskendale house, as this is a big improvement on your original build.

Some feedback:
  • The house seems a little too narrow and short. I would stick to 7 block wide facades minimum while you are still learning, as these are probably the most common town plots you will encounter.
  • Daub and wattle can sometimes touch the ground, but in this situation I would probably have the bottom floor feature a stone foundation.
  • The daub and wattle is reasonable, but could be improved still. Spend some time looking at images of real daub and wattle, and then see what common patterns people use. Our daub and wattle blocks are inherently limited, and consequently are difficult to work with, so I think for a first timer you've done a great job! One big thing to avoid would be long horizontal streaks of the left/right-hatch timber and daub blocks, which don't make structural sense.
  • The interiors seem ok, but I can't really see them! Use /nv next time you take photos - this will help me see your work better.
You've made a really good start, so for your first challenge build I would like to see you make a house in the style of our new King's Landing update, specifically the River Row district. You can find this at /warp KL35. In particular I want you to focus on how the house interacts with those surrounding it (use wool walls to demonstrate where the other houses are), creating a realistic interior layout (build the staircase and fireplace first) and perfecting the daub and wattle.

Good luck!

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

horble

Mummer
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully I've managed to work some of it into this build. I took some good close ups of my gradients because that is an area I'm not completely comfortable with yet. Also I was unable to find a way to get nightvision to work in singleplayer but I've made sure the lighting is better in these pictures.

Thanks

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi,

I am away for the next week unfortunately, but will get back to you with feedback at some stage. What you've done looks great though! For your challenge I would like to see you make a house in the style of our KL update - start with /warp KLupdate, and look for the houses that have been recently updated and have builder tags over them. Ask around if you need help, if you say Codd sent you I'm sure they'll snap to attention.

Good luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi Horble,

I just got around to reviewing the application and providing feedback. I realised I've been an idiot and asked you to do another King's Landing challenge build. You are more than welcome to continue with this if you have already started working on it, but if you would rather not repeat yourself you could choose to make a house in the style of Fairmarket.

The main feedback I have is that the daub and wattle pattern is a bit unusual - the close studded block should be used in large patches, and the X-hatched blocks wouldn't typically be stacked like that. The more time you spend on the server the more you will see how we make good patterns. Otherwise, the thatch is a bit messy on the floor, the lit furnace would be a fire hazard directly in front of a wooden floor, and the house lacks exterior detailing. You've done a good job though.

Good luck, sorry about the challenge muck up!

Veggie

The Old Bear
This application has been rejected at this stage due to inactivity, you would be welcome to pick this up where we left off in the future.