Royal Messenger
Hoarfrost Hill

By Johan

Resume:

Clan Knott Of The Northern Mountains
WH loggingcamp1
WH Hamlet & HF (coop with Endy)
House Cave Hamlet & HF

KVXzprDgxaRDaIrAmpHN-RFJpj_CtEyM_fE9hKU0Ws-oU0cQfNbRWssGi42k8AwWsgXaoQhGpH-Oz6ytxgm4fGqAlGOejrzkU_pGp381EQxopxDXYRMyc67e01-fPLD68UT9LD_H

In this world, winter is certain - Ned Stark

And with winter comes snow, and the snow has yet to kill me :D
Therefore i have, turned my eye north again.

Canon:
There is next to no canon on Hoarfrost hill.
Only thing we know is that !SPOILER! Lord Commander John Snow !SPOILER! plans to re-garrison it.

Tests:
Unlike the terra at most of the wall castle (the main exclusions being shadowtower and sentinelstand), this one will not be placed on a flat piece of land. I've worked to make the terra here more distinctive. Since it called Hoarfrost Hill i've placed the whole castle on a cliffy hill that stands enough out to be honored in the name. Making hoarfrost in Minecraft is pretty hard. My shot was to add leaves under the snow layers to get the icy snowy grass look. I added A LOT of single block icicles under the leaves of the trees, as this gives more of the look with the entire leaves covered by ice.

This castle would in it day have following rooms:
1x Commanders room
1x Maesters quarters
1x Small hall
1x Storage and stewards quarters
1x Cellar
1x Kitchen
2x Garrison rooms
1x Stable

Pre ruined version (Stable, hall and ints not done).

pfJzGbjSfVCgQD3tLAD2Ntijedm6DoWiPpuX4-lCJEEcqLvMHoKfn6aN0AqiwOuvPDrIJT2swIC8A6pQGSakJ_3-C9ntcK3ZxiGcjzX57VvQXPj6fY8t840BMyJIIIDf7LOd67e1

Overview

-liQ9iZFjE_PR6D-KwGrXGOb4ET3tFkayrr1TVqapOeDPxuFS7H24_hqOrySpRHvJPWTNtI22Ub_7O3z1rtKTpK9AgdiVeYsJU3zeAHzIWxjlWzFlBtiVLg2Sqf7FJPxky2w-Wwy

Post ruin

SfmzCZx3INQIJ9CnOwclqldER-K6v8ZhO-aMzuHpJ5_0rkOktmx5VbT9hRGpU-W5HdGBaT7JKrhQzFaT-uP_K3hjnd1WWxOafLShk60OTwojaChAcVdDW0b5bvdtZuXP19_u9HNC

5GJhwF2UJ_wiB7kprDfQW6cJ0f67tBJ_idp5EKMZJqAX2Ms_ktUTzXJMExE7D7KUNn1hLiYk-cn2aiFTS2BPFQC3UYcgWU64ZlELy3dShggQy0jYLlZ0HoW0Sowc4UM5TY3TZbO0

Gift and North of the wall?

By this i mean whether or not im am to do The Gift and North Of the Wall around Hoarfrost hill.

This is a part i'm uncertain of. I've asked around the mods, and no one really knew. In the end i was told to just include a map.
I stalked around the shadowtower thread, and there it was hinted that the terra all the way from the nightfort to the shadowtower lands were to be done in the nightfort server build. It could be a good idea so the The Gift could have one collective style, but i dunno.
I will of course in any case do the terra immediately around Hoarfrost.

So to sum up here is how it could be done:
  1. I do the the terra immediately around the castle/ruin (I'll be able to do this terra no problem myself).
  2. I include the gift and or a couple of abandoned hamlets north of the wall.
I haven't made any house tests and the map below is pretty rough, i wanted to know if im to do it or not first.

Map of potential hoarfrost hill gift:

DbyIJP0kGXDZzTw7xSWt2nynC4e-K4OaNebop3Xex-9CE1NCROb-PjW8w4-_rDpczsUlfy7MQYVw96pR3ecid_NhhG64Y-X_RYPAcdQO5BBy0Zh_qPot52PLg5hs4B_Aye0hC-U3

The red is abandoned in Brandon's gift and the blue is the inhabited in the New gift. The nature of the eastern gift is “mountainous and forested”. The terra already there is forested and mountainous already. But there will ofcourse need to be added some details like a lake, some weirwoods and such.
I don't think the building part of this will be mush work. But the terra part could take some time. I have snowy experience and know how to do most of the stuff, but if im to add a tone of new trees, i might need help.

Feel free to take a look at the text in my plot. There is about a million hoarfrost tests on my plot, but the ONE TO RULE THEM ALL is the very top one (The only one that's ruined).

Last edited by a moderator:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Am I correct in assuming that a portion of Norrey is below your Gift plans? If you indeed do develop the gift, I can work with you on terra

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Cool, I could work out where a possible junction could be. there is a path leading to the Shadow Tower not too far from your proposed hamlet that I was going to connect but it might make sense for a road to pass through the settlement

Reactions: JohanKR850

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
the bottom right of the frame now has some farmland, most of it harvested and snowed over.

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
I like the castle and the terra, so consider that approved by me!
However, if you want to do the section of the Gift behind the castle (it's up to you), please provide some house/terra tests and a new map if you have any new ideas.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Ok Dragons here is a new map for chunk of the gift.

Blue is streams/Lake
Square is ruined/ abandoned settlements
Round is inhabited (two small ones are farmsteads)
The stippled line is farm and pasture lands.

The hamlet will be walled by a wooden palisade, and will be shaped to resemble a ringfort.
This land is canonically mostly woods, and in my xp the snowy worldgeneratet woods are as good as you get em bc you dont have to smooth the snow under (which is absolutely impossible). So its probably to add on to the land rather than totally redo it, at least the forested part. There will be added stuff like weirwoods (1-2 perhaps), and some details on the forest floor. The plains and the mountains will be fixed: Shadows removed, stone under snow removed, leave blocks added under snow (some places), and terrain blocks exposed.

This is what im going for with houses as a general. Id like it vary a bit with how much wood there will be in the gradient and such. Main insp for this is the abandoned hamlet in the Shadowtower project. Though there of course is differences. I will also add a few muddy snow blocks to some roofs.

Reactions: Luk and Ric

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I reiterate that the world painter forests just south of the wall are already smoothed and don’t have the full block gaps/gradient.

In regards to house style, sweet! Are you going to have variants with a spruce/northern wood stair eave?

Last edited:

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Hmm i dunno, i might. But there aint gonna that manny houses so when i said vary it was more some minor changes like house being lowered 1 block, or the roof support (Thats right now stone) being northern wood and such.

Reactions: AerioOndos

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hey Johan! I like the map and the idea of the walled hamlet. I do feel like the houses could be a bit more primitive-looking, though. Not necessarily primitive, but "low medieval", more decadent and rural. We can work on that tomorrow in game, if you'd like to (I was busy with something today).
:)

Reactions: JohanKR850

zanji

Herald
Update for my Application:

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches