Heroiclust Builder Application

Heroiclust

Mummer
15 in 27/4.

Israel.

I don't even remember, I read or watched something about an epic server of builders that are trying to recreate the world of game of thrones and I thought to myself - "Hey, that's cool, let's check this out", this happened like a year ago. I noticed that the building style and the overall building is very mixed and detailed. I really wanted to be a part of it back then but I knew I have no chance with the building skills I had so I 'trained' on my building skills throughout the year and forgot about the server, when I decided to get into GoT again and I remembered about it, and here I am trying to build with you!

Unfortunately, although I do plan to do that in the near time, I have not yet read the books. However, I have watched the series. I really enjoyed it and I love the story and world of Game of Thrones.

I have not read any of the books yet.

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Even though I don't like the rest of the house, I really love Tyrion Lannister.
I enjoyed watching every scene with him in the series because he always gets into messy situations, but the interesting part about him is that he can get out, even though he has many limitations, such as hate from his father and the queen, and him being a midget he still manages to outsmart his enemies and do even more than a normal person. I also enjoy watching him because he is the funniest character (him and Bronn, which is probably my second or third most favorite character).
I would also like to say something which could be very weird for you but I can't stand Daenerys Targaryen because whenever she says or does something the only thing I feel is CRINGE. Haha. I think she's just annoying.

Well, I hope I will be able to bring the building, which I doubt is something I'm skilled at, but I hope to improve.
I like talking to people and learning about their lives, and I enjoy having conversations, I guess I can have interesting conversations with people.
If I had to list things I am pretty good at it would be my countries history and general knowledge, geography and stuff like that but it's not what makes me a good team member. I believe that I will fit in the team because I have the patience and will to learn new things and to really become a part of the community.

I have always been amazed when I saw a good build, and throughout my years of playing Minecraft, which probably to most of you is not too many (4), I have seen pretty outstanding builds, I have seen different builds in different themes and even though I've seen all of them my favorite style was Medieval, which is the theme and the style of the Game of Thrones. I have also, very much enjoyed creating my own buildings and structures and I still, to this day enjoy learning new things and new methods, which I do every single day. When I've seen how this community is all together, building and creating the whole world or at least the continent of Westeros I have been amazed, and actually pretty jealous of the members and I wanted to become one as well, I wanted to do both things I enjoy, Game of Thrones, and building.

Unfortunately, I have built my structure on a flat world because I have made it before I decided I that I might be able to apply for the team, I am very sorry about that. I just really don't want to move the entire build to another world because it took me hours to do, it's my first time building such thing with such blocks and it would really frustrate me. Though, if the application cannot proceed without the removal and rebuilding of the build I've made I will be willing to move that to a normal world because being a part of the team is very important.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Heroiclust,
Thanks for your interest in the server and for your patience while we got to your application.
You're on the right track with this one, I can see you've put thought into the house and explored the server for inspiration.

I've only got a handful of suggested improvements that'll help with you future builds.
- Overall I like the restraint shown with the house, no fancy elements that would be out of place in a small low class house. We use a more pointed triangle shape to the roof rather than the flatter slabs. Here's some examples of the brick daub with the pointed shape.
- Raising the angle of the roof would also give you more space to add a second level/platform inside, the owners would try to maximise the use of the space they had.
- When using these profession/cabinet blocks, we try to make sure that only one side is exposed, in this case I'd replace that wooden stair with a barrel/firewood/cabinet block that would fully conceal those extra knives on the side.

- Daub looks best when you use it symmetrically, the way you've used it here looks pretty random, we've got some guides on how to use them appropriately,
Here's an example of a simple daub pattern.

Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also take a look this page for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Heroiclust

Mummer
@CashBanks . Thank you for the comments. The link you've added is not working for me.
I've tried my best to do a Hawthorne build style low-class house.
Here are the results. Hopefully, it is better than before :).
I have matched the daub but I used vines.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Hero
Thanks for finishing this Hawthorne house, you've done a really good job!
- The shape of the house and the roof shape is spot on, the daub is symmetrical (worth keeping an eye out for the daub patterns used on other houses though, there's a few that look good and fairly common).

- My one main suggestion for an improvement would be to make sure to add stairs/half doors beneath the thatch roof blocks to create rafters, like this:
A general rule of thumb is to make sure that the exterior roof block isn't visible from inside the house.

- Nice interior details and good restraint with the choice of blocks

- The yard is nice and I like the clothesline, vegetable patch etc, it's worthwhile building the garden stone wall around it though as well in these challenges.

- With the vines, it's good to add a leaf bush or two at ground level to show where it's growing from like this

Overall though well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Hero, well done with this one, finding an example netmaker for inspiration was indeed a bit like finding a needle in a haystack so good job with the effort.

The overall look and feel of the house is consistent with the white harbor style, the stone/plaster mix on the wall is nice as well as the shape of the house.

The netmaker area in the yard looks good, as a general point I'd suggest thinking about putting the professional work area inside the house itself, and then use the yard for more generic stuff like washing/vegetables/storage. This will help with filling up the interior, since this given that the first floor is looking a little empty at the moment.
Here's a pic of a netmaker who makes nets inside

- Otherwise the interiors are good, just make sure when using the cabinet blocks to cover up the sides with half doors.

2366'
- and rather than the flat planks, it's nice to use stairs/half slabs to create the effect of rafters like this:

- Most houses of this shape will also generally have a third story, since they're try to maximise the use of the space they had, I think you've got the space for it here.
- It's a small dumb thing but maybe keep the big smelly baskets off fish on the ground floor, I'd hate to have those next to my bed XD

You're making good progress, for your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of Highgarden, (take a look at /warp hgtown ). As with this White Harbor house, it should have a profession/business on the bottom level e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith, and a yard would be great as well.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1587208920854.png
    1587208920854.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Hero, thanks for this one,
This is a nice looking fabric worker, indeed I can see the particular house you've used for inspiration, it's a popular one.
You've done well with capturing all the important elements - though I'd caution against using existing houses for a 1:1 inspiration, the trick is to recognise the features of the building and replicating them without directly copying.

In any case I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

And now your watch begins - welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

Heroiclust

Mummer
Hey Hero, thanks for this one,
This is a nice looking fabric worker, indeed I can see the particular house you've used for inspiration, it's a popular one.
You've done well with capturing all the important elements - though I'd caution against using existing houses for a 1:1 inspiration, the trick is to recognise the features of the building and replicating them without directly copying.

In any case I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

And now your watch begins - welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!
Thank you very much!
A few questions:
I don't really understand the probation thing. Do I first build the house until they're DONE and only then post 5 houses in probation?
Tysm!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thank you very much!
A few questions:
I don't really understand the probation thing. Do I first build the house until they're DONE and only then post 5 houses in probation?
Tysm!

Yeah you're free to build on available plots, these generally look something like this:
Just make note on the probation thread where you've built so the probation leader can find them and give feedback. You can build as many as you like (5 is just a general guide, it can be more before you're given the greenlight to finish probation). It's good to build in a variety of locations as well.