HalfCat Builder Application

HalfCat

Storyteller

Sweden

I am not really sure. I first heard about it a few years ago when it kind of went viral and I checked it out. However I revisited it after watching the Game of Thrones series and really loving it.

Not really favorite. Lord of the Rings is amazing of course but that's about it.

Game of Thrones

All of the above

It's very hard for me to choose a favorite character. They're all so different and interesting. However I really like the people who played the game well like the Tyrells, Littlefinger, Varys and Tyrion. My favorite has to be Tyrion mainly because of Season 2 and how great he was in that. It is unfortunate however how all of the characters I've listed have been extremely dumbed down for later seasons which is why it's hard for me to choose a favorite character in the show. My pick might be different after I read all the books however.

I am a light perfectionist. I am rather critical as well and both of these help in adding that extra bit of detail that sometimes needs to be added to some builds. I'm just not satisfied until it's perfect however as this can become an obsession and a neverending struggle to "perfect" a build I try to make sure I don't spend too much time on a build and to be happy with what I created. It also makes me always want to improve and be better.

I really like the series and want to help this excellent project be completed. I love building and I think building on this server is an opportunity both for me to get better at it as well as contributing to a thing I really enjoy. There's a lot of potential and I want this to be the best it can be. I also just want to have a good time I guess.

Proof it's my build:

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on May 25, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Halfcat! Beautiful little house, thanks for applying!

I have a couple of little pointers if I may:

- Firstly, there’s a lot of glass in the house, and typically in our time period it was such an expensive commodity, so keeping it limited always adds to the realism.

- Your use of slate on the roof is nice, but a little overcomplicated. Sometimes less is more :)

- Be careful with the lit candle blocks, they sometimes attach to the walls by mistake which looks a little odd.

Overall a really pretty little house. For your first challenge, please build a wooden house in the style of /warp oldforge.

Once you’ve built the house in single player, please post the album link in this thread.

Have fun!

HalfCat

Storyteller
Hi Halfcat! Beautiful little house, thanks for applying!

I have a couple of little pointers if I may:

- Firstly, there’s a lot of glass in the house, and typically in our time period it was such an expensive commodity, so keeping it limited always adds to the realism.

- Your use of slate on the roof is nice, but a little overcomplicated. Sometimes less is more :)

- Be careful with the lit candle blocks, they sometimes attach to the walls by mistake which looks a little odd.

Overall a really pretty little house. For your first challenge, please build a wooden house in the style of /warp oldforge.

Once you’ve built the house in single player, please post the album link in this thread.

Have fun!
Thanks! Here's the house.

Reactions: thecoddfish

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Morning mate,

Beautifully done, no comments on my side; really well done tackling a diagonal too. Major plus points :)

For your next challenge, please build a middle-class tailor's shop/home in the style of /warp Fairmarket

Enjoy!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Gorgeous work Cat!

Again, no real comments on it. You really paid attention but made the build your own.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class spice merchant's house in the style of Banefort

Best of luck!

HalfCat

Storyteller
Gorgeous work Cat!

Again, no real comments on it. You really paid attention but made the build your own.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class spice merchant's house in the style of Banefort

Best of luck!
Sorry but I am not entirely sure what you mean by Banefort as the fort itself doesn't have any houses around it. Are you referring to the stone houses nearby that are built in clusters?

These ones.

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Cat!

Thanks very much for this build, it looks grand! Here's a little feedback:

- The rafters that make up the ceiling/upper floor are a little too close together. Try alternating between upturned stair and wooden slab blocks. A great example of this is in almost every house in Fairmarket.

- Please don’t make tables or desks out of trapdoors! We have plenty of blocks that allow you to create tables. Using trapdoors means guests can click them and ruin the whole composition. I’ve also noticed a couple of other trapdoors in the build; rule of thumb is, only use trapdoors as trapdoors, in castle hoardings, or as privy seats.

- The fire in the room with the trap door table should probably be a block higher.

- You’re right about a little too much green!

- Only really use two smoke blocks per chimney, otherwise it looks a little over the top.

Other than that, I’m very happy with this build and you’ve really shown your ability to understand a regional style and employ it with a bit of flair! Beautiful work mate.

Application Approved! Welcome to the team! Give a mod a shout in game and one of us will promote you.

Please start a probation thread for yourself over in the Probation Sub-Forum. I will serve as your probe leader for the next month and give you feedback on the structures you build within that time period. Please make sure to read the probation guidelines and post information on every build you do!

Happy building!

Reactions: HalfCat