Withdrawn Grey Gallows by Anthony_Justman & Willas_Tyrell

Antony

Printmaker
Hey!:D
Ant and Will here, and heres our app for the Island of Grey Gallows in the Stepstones.

Everything should be explained in the app. Since it covers matters from inspiration, terrain, economy, and even culture, system of governance and society structure.
So as you can understand its quite big (about 6.828 words I think).
So feel free to point out any inconsistency you might find, or feedback, and also feel free to ask, if you need any explanation further.

Click here and enjoy this monstrosity of an app...

or here to see the tests and inspiration images.

cretan epos.jpg

All tests can be found at /warp Antony2 on the 2nd glass level, its got about 3 ships above it, so u cant miss it.

PS

(In the case the google drive links don't work... well then... also feel free point that out:confused:)

PS no 2
Here's the link from where I found the inspo pics of the Late Minoan settlement at Karfi.
(I noticed some of the pics on the folder, aren't that clear.)

Last edited:

Antony

Printmaker
Shit... The fact the app link worked is something though hahaha.
Ok, so I'll try to fix that

Last edited:

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Amazing app! I always imagened the Stepstones as the Aegean Greek Islands, so this is right up my alley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guillaaard

Antony

Printmaker
Aegean Islands? No no my friend... This is Crete, an island so big and diverse, where when far inland, the sea can be a distant dream. (But this is inspired by our coastal northern regions, which are also very different from the standart Islands of the Aegean)

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
My bad, I thought the Aegean reached the northern shores of Crete. I really like it anyways, Crete is beautiful and full of history.

Fun fact: Heraklion was chosen as the capital of the island when pirates of Andalusian origin conquered it from the Byzantines, establishing a short-lived emirate. They where expelled from Córdoba when Al-Hakam I, emir of al-Andalus, destroyed the suburb where they lived (Saqunda), as a response to the rebelion that took place in 818.

Attachments

• InkedAegean_Sea_map_LI.jpg
    InkedAegean_Sea_map_LI.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Haha
Reactions: Antony

Antony

Printmaker
My bad, I thought the Aegean reached the northern shores of Crete. I really like it anyways, Crete is beautiful and full of history.

Fun fact: Heraklion was chosen as the capital of the island when pirates of Andalusian origin conquered it from the Byzantines, establishing a short-lived emirate. They where expelled from Córdoba when Al-Hakam I, emir of al-Andalus, destroyed the suburb where they lived (Saqunda), as a response to the rebelion that took place in 818.
I know, it was named Rabd el Khandak, due to its great moat that surrounded it, and became a important aspect of all fortifications surrounding it.

The emirate of Crete, even though shortlived, has left a unforgotten legacy on the island, like certain place names, and the skin complexion of certain regions...

Reactions: Azulejo

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Aegean Islands? No no my friend... This is Crete, an island so big and diverse, where when far inland, the sea can be a distant dream. (But this is inspired by our coastal northern regions, which are also very different from the standart Islands of the Aegean)
**thinks about flexing how big an island Australia is**

:p

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hahahaha,

anyway, its a very fun document. Just one thing, iirc the Braavosi bred the essosi sea snails to specifically produce the famed purple pigment, the tyroshi snails have been bred to produce a wide variety of different colours. I'd say go with any colour except purple as the 'main' colour of the Grey Gallows snails/most common colour.

Antony

Printmaker
anyway, its a very fun document. Just one thing, iirc the Braavosi bred the essosi sea snails to specifically produce the famed purple pigment, the tyroshi snails have been bred to produce a wide variety of different colours. I'd say go with any colour except purple as the 'main' colour of the Grey Gallows snails/most common colour.
I quite agree, after all porphyra isnt purple exactly, more like a purplish red? Something like that,... and also a variety of colours can be made if I'm not wrong, like light blue and shit. The thing with that, is that we dont have the correct colour wool to represent that.

Here's the colours the Murex snail can produce:
20210228_080457.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AerioOndos

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
The thing with that, is that we dont have the correct colour wool to represent that.
InkedChief's house no3_LI (1).jpg1024px-Purple_Purpur_(retouched).jpg
I think the red wool and banner closely resembles one of the colors that are obtainable from this snails. Red is usually a common color in dyes and nature, so it makes sense (at least to me) that unbred snails (like the ones in the Stepstones) produce red or reddish dye, while bred snails in Tyrsoh and Braavos are able to produce purples, blues ore whatever. That being said, it is suggested that Tyrosh produces many more colors than what the real-life example can, so we have some liberty.

If this is helpful, I've found a dying facility of murex in the game Assassins Creed: Odyssey. I think there's another example in the Assassins Creed: Origins.
ACOd-Kythera-MurexDyeingFacility.jpg

It seems like it wasn't a very fun job:
the Braavosi bred the essosi sea snails to specifically produce the famed purple pigment
Let me jus add that I hope Braavosi have found a way to yield more dye per snail, because if the amount of mollusk necessary to dye one piece of cloth is the same as in real life, the genocide that they are committing to dye their sails is immeasurable.​

Antony

Printmaker
I think the red wool and banner closely resembles one of the colors that are obtainable from this snails.
I am aware of this board, and the colours, but I specificaly meant Tyrian Purple you see, which is more reddish, than the wool, nor purplish like purple.

As for the AC Odyssey... yes that interesting, far more than the game itself... meh.

It showed Crete with only 3 defenceless city states, that were under Athenian control... MEH... when the Island was home to close to 100, that didnt intermingle with the Peloponnesian War as they were far too busy bruttaly killing each other in meaningless and endless conflict.
Also the positioning of the city of Lato, is utterly false, as the city itself is where the fort is
Nor did it look like a tourist trap, but rather an impregnable fortress perched between two acropoli on a rocky mountain...

Last edited:

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I am aware of this board, and the colours, but I specificaly meant Tyrian Purple you see, which is more reddish, than the wool, nor purplish like purple.
Since that's the color of the Braavos sea snails, I don't think is a problem rigth know. If Essos is ever done, we are far from even starting. I'm more inclined to the blueish purple (the middle one in my chart) than the true Tyrian Purple for Braavos thought, it's more fitting in my opinion.

As for the AC Odyssey... yes that interesting, far more than the game itself... meh.
That's what I've heard. I've only played Origins, so I can't say much. I would've linked the complex in that game if I have found it:p.

I would stop here, I'm drifting off topic and I don't wan't to fill your thread with crap ;)

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hey Ant and Willas!

First off, I just want to say this is an outstanding application - the amount of insightful information and research put into this is commendable. I like all of the tests, but I'd definitely want to see the plotting before you start building due to the plotting style being rather unique when compared to our other builds. However, my main two problems with your plans are the amount of settlements and just structures on the island in general and the beach test.
Right now, I'm not sure which of the planned settlements you should cut, but we will definitely have to decide on this once the terra is done and we can see the final size clearly. The island should still feel somewhat desolate, so some cuts have to be made.
Regarding the beach test, something about the color of it bugs me (perhaps the contrast in the blocks used). We can polish this once you get to it, but feel free to provide any new tests here :). Also, I really like the screenshot from AC Odyssey Azulejo shared. It'd be nice if you used it as a reference for the amount of vegetation on the island, as well as for some of the terrain.

Anyway, I'm approving this application, good job!
That being said, I'd like for Ant to finish his immersion project before you guys start this one. I'm sure it'll go smoothly. Once that's done, you can start working on Grey Gallows :D.