Gijzenezer Builder Application

Gijzenezer

Mummer

The Netherlands

After I watched the series was I wondering if someone had recreated the map and after that is was only wone google search.

Harry potter and Game of Thrones

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

Tyrion Lannister, I don't know if does it in the books but I love his sarcasm and how he hardly takes anyone serious.

I am not a master in the ASOIAF world but I do know a lot about the medieval period. Also can I work perfectly alone or in a team.

A lot of severs where people build together it is to creat giant buildings but here there are also a lot of small houses where you can let your fantasy loose.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Jul 29, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Gijzenezer,

Thank you for your application, and my apologies for the delay!

Your building isn't currently up to server standards, however you definitely do have a good start and I think we can get you up to server standards pretty quickly. I'm going to give some initial feedback, and then a series of challenge builds to help you learn.

- The primary problem with the exteriors is that the block use and details are a bit too messy; our style tends to have relatively simple detailing on houses and rather makes builds interesting through creating more complex spatial arrangements and realism.

- As a specific example of the above, the stone gradient needs work. Generally, a gradient should be a smooth transition between dark blocks and light blocks. And you should avoid having darker blocks directly next to lighter blocks, which causes bad contrast. Check out /warp gradient on our server to see how to do gradients better.

- Try not to frame the roof with light gray stone either; just make the overhang bedrock tiles like the rest of the roof.

- The big door in the workshop should have some sort of door, or else it would allow a lot of the warmth to exit. Since the house is in White Harbor style, which is a Northern build, that would be a pretty bad thing.

- The ground floor (outside and inside) should probably be a dirt and gravel mix, rather than white stone.

- The interiors are a bit too cluttered/messy in general, try to first seperate things into rooms better (e.g. having the kitchen in one room and the bedroom in another room), and then place things in a way which is realistic (think of what the average medieval person would need) and looks aesthetically pleasing. Check out /warp furnish for some examples on how to do interiors.

- Decrease the amount of candles in the interiors (you should only need one per room, at most). Also, don't place candles on walls since they would just melt and fall off.

- I generally would avoid using stone for interior furnishings, like in the desk here.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the feedback I gave!

Overall, I'd highly recommend you take some time to look at the two server resources I included in bold above, as well as taking some time to study houses at /warp kingslanding in detail (both interiors and exteriors).

Once you've done that, for a challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp sweetport. Middle-class are the ones with white daub & wattle and bedrock slate rooves. Good luck!

-Emote

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Gijzenezer,

This house is indeed much better, huge improvement! I'll jump right to feedback (more picky things this time):

- I would make the supports of the front overhang wood only (rather than wood on top of stone wall). Also, rather than making a "mini-roof" on top of the overhang, I'd make a shed-type roof perpendicular to the main building. Sort of like the overhang in the left part of this image.

- I recommend using the "plain white daub" block a little bit in order to simplify the daub & wattle and make it less busy. There are some examples if this if you look around Sweetport. Usually you "frame" it with normal daub & wattle blocks.

- If you're going to make a very low ceiling (your bottom floor has a 2-block high ceiling, typically they're 3 or 4 blocks high), it's not necessarily bad but you should also make smaller rooms. Try to have a sense of proportions: a small room with a high ceiling looks odd, and a large room with a low ceiling looks odd. You have to find the balance.

- Use normal door blocks here rather than half-doors. Also, you should use spruce rather than oak, since oak contrasts too much with the northern wood.

- Try your best to avoid having stone in the floor, like you do here. You can either cover it with wood carpet blocks, or try to cover it with clever furniture placement.

- Whenever you use cabinet or workbench blocks, like here, you need to cover up all sides of it except one. It doesn't make sense for a cabinet to open up on multiple sides. You can do this using either a half door block, or clever furniture placement.

- Cyvasse tables are more of a Dorne thing, you shouldn't really use them elsewhere.

- Whenever you have a slate roof, always cover it up from the inside. Since slate tiles are heavy and would fall down if not supported. You can do this using a combination of wood half door blocks and upside-down wood stairs.

Again, feel free to ask if you have any questions on the feedback I gave! When you're ready, for another challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Gijzenezer,

Good work again! The house fits into the Woodwright style pretty well, and the interiors are getting close to server standards. Here's some more feedback I have on this one:

- I suggest making the roof one block higher; the top part of the house appears a little cramped.

- The red roof doesn't appear to be in the style of Woodwright, I think you meant to use the brown slate roof instead.

- In the gable (roof overhang), make sure to use wood half doors as well as upside-down stairs to cover up the bottom. However, I'd also highly recommend you to try out the gable-less style, like in this Woodwright house. Notice how it doesn't have the overhang on the front, which makes it look less clunky.

- Again, be careful to avoid using spruce wood near oak wood; the dark and the light contrast pretty badly. In this case, I would recommend changing all of the spruce wood to jungle wood.

- Don't use paintings in ordinary houses, only very wealthy houses. Most medieval citizens wouldn't be able to afford paintings, which were usually made by hand on commission by rich lords or merchants. The same also goes for bookshelves.

- Try to be more careful with realistic block placement, for instance you have hanging chicken and garlic here, but the kitchen is on the bottom floor. Usually there would only be a little bit of food out at one time, and the rest would be stored in either a pantry or root cellar.

- Also avoid "crate spam", which is placing random crate blocks to fill empty space. First think if the empty space even needs to be filled, or if it looks fine without it. If it still needs something, try to think of something realistic which a medieval peasant might need there.

- With slate, I would try to cover it up from the inside completely (so no slate is showing anymore). With thatch, it's okay to leave some showing, since thatch is lighter than slate.

This is all pickier feedback, you're doing a great job overall! For your next challenge build, let's head to the Vale: please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp wickenden. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Gijzenezer,

Very good job with this house :) It fits almost perfectly. Just a few small points:

- Again, be careful with the oak & the spruce (in this case, the shutters and the rest). I would use jungle wood for the stairs and slabs and everything, like at wickenden.

- I would decrease the amount of windows a bit, it seems like there are way too many on this side.

- I recommend some light foliage & vines on the side, just to make it look a tiny bit less plain.

- Interiors look really nice this time, my only feedback is on the fireplace: it doesn't really need to be 2-wide, it'd probably look better being 1-wide instead. And the fire appears to be directly touching the wood, so it'd probably catch fire. Best to try to put stone in front of the fireplace, or use ash instead of a lit fire.

Anyways, for a tentative final challenge build, please make a middle-house class in the style of /warp fairmarket. The style here is a bit more complicated, so be careful and take your time, but I'm sure you'll do fine with it. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Gijzenezer,

Awesome work! Just some quick points on this last house:

- Blue slate isn't in the Fairmarket style, I think you meant to use black slate (it's a common mistake).

- Try to make the vines a little less patchy, also make sure they go all the way to the ground (since they need to connect to the dirt to get nutrients). Think of how vines actually grow on houses.

- Don't use armor stands at all (there's a number of reasons, but the main one is because they're entities rather than blocks, and get to be very laggy and buggy).

- They probably wouldn't store coal or food in the attic- the coal would be kept in the blacksmith area, and the food would be stored in a pantry in the kitchen (or root cellar if in the style). The attic should usually be left fairly empty, with some things here and there (baskets, furniture, cobweb here and there). But no need to do much.

But anyways, consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to NewBuilder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Reactions: Gijzenezer