FistyTristy

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
FistyTristy

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
United States, Alaska

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I have always been hesitant about fantasy shows because they have too many magical elements. I love Game of Thrones/ASOIF because the magical elements are limited and the show is self-consistent and some elements of the books/shows are taken from history. Most of all, I love world building.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Lannisport and River Run

Why do you want to join our server?
I was a builder for a Minecraft server about 7 years ago and I want to get back to building. I want to contribute to something larger than a single build and would love to work with others to achieve this goal. When the time comes, I know it may be years in the future, I would like to be on the ground floor of building Essos as well.

2021-08-01_20.12.27.png2021-08-01_20.12.33.png2021-08-01_20.12.41.png2021-08-01_20.12.47.png2021-08-01_20.12.52.png2021-08-01_20.13.19.png2021-08-01_20.13.58.png2021-08-01_20.14.04.png2021-08-01_20.14.17.png2021-08-01_20.14.32.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey FistyTristy,

Thanks for your application! Glad to see your interest in the server and in helping out with the project.

Nice work with the apphouse! Not really seeing any issues with it. Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey FistyTristy,

Sorry about the wait! Been a busy week for me.

Overall great work with this house! It'd fit in very well in Woodwright, and the shape of the house is pretty interesting as well. Most of the feedback I have is pickier stuff:

- The stone gradient in the base needs a bit of work. Mostly it's the harsh contrast between the reach cobble/brick and the light stone block. I'd recommend replacing the light stone with the reach small brick instead. Also, if you haven't seen it yet, there's a good tutorial for doing gradients at /warp gradient that's worth a look.

- Generally you want to avoid using item frames for stuff, since it seems pretty vanilla. That said, there are a few niche uses of them, such as for the "faith of the 7" icons. Overall just be careful not to overuse them. For instance, in this case ingredients/herbs would likely just be in cabinets or some other storage, so the item frames don't really make sense.

- I'd probably go with a more rudimentary candle stand design than the tall metal one (e.g. a fence block or something), as it just feels out of place in a village house with a dirt floor. The metal one is more appropriate in a manse or fancy brothel.

- The yard is too messy. You never want to just mix together crops/flowers randomly, but instead organize the yard into multiple separate patches where they'd be growing particular types of herbs or vegetables.

- Also, if you're building on mostly flat land with a slight height increase, I advise just flattening out the yard, rather than having a layer of slabs (since you can't really put anything on slabs and it ends up looking weird). It's fine to change the terrain to suit your purposes, within reason. If you're building on a more moderate slope (e.g. 2 or more blocks height difference), then you can instead make retaining walls with wattle fence or stone to divide up the yard.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of that. For the next challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp tortown. Good luck!

Last edited: