endymion21 Builder Application

Belgium

I came across westeroscraft on youtube, probably about three years ago, when I was looking for some Minecraft inspiration. The first video I saw was Ironoaks and I was really surprised how well the castle planning was done and just the overall detail put into the build and surrounding lands. Since then I have been around wandering on the map, reading the forums …

Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons
Winds of Winter
All of the above

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen,First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea,Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons, because I think see has a great overall arc form a shy and scared girl to a strong women. She is still learning to lead and makes mistakes along the way. But that makes her more grounded imo. She will do everything she can to keep her people save and achieve her goals. She can be ruthless, but also shows compassion, empathy and is willing to forgive (if they bend the knee). Having tree dragons does help too ;p.

I think I have descent skills and have an eye for detail, but I’m really looking forward to learn more.

I really love GoT and Minecraft, so westeroscraft is the perfect combo. I have learned so much about building in Minecraft from the server and I would love to contribute and give something back to the server. I have been thinking about joining for a long time and am really excited and motivated.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Apr 19, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey endymion,

Great job on this application! Your house looks really cool and I can tell you've put a lot of effort into studying our building style. I'm going to jump right into some more nitpicky feedback:

- Avoid using trapdoor blocks for furnishing (like you do on the flower pot outside), since it doesn't look very good and guests can mess around with it. Instead, use our custom "half door" blocks for that.

- On a similar note, also don't use levers on the market stall. Use "horizontal rope" for that instead (it works just like vanilla minecart rail).

- Making good gradients is an important part of stone houses: rather than doing a random mix of different blocks, try to gently "transition" from one block to another. In your house, you mix the pink reach blocks with the normal gray stone, which doesn't look very good because of the clashing colors. Instead, you should just use one or the other in your gradient. For more information on this, do /warp gradient on our server.

- Try to avoid harsh contrast in general. Here, for instance, you should just use normal (vanilla) dirt with the darker brown color, and/or gravel, so it blends with the grass better.

- Avoid "patchy" vines. By this, I mean vine blocks which are placed randomly in small amounts. Instead, you should just have one large but continuous spot of vines covering a part of the house (making sure it touches the ground as well, since the vines need nutrients from the dirt). Take a look at the way vines and ivy tend to grow on houses IRL.

Other than that, the house is an amazing first submission! Feel free to ask if you have any questions about any of the feedback I gave. For a challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. Good luck!

-Emote

Reactions: Endymion
Hey emote

I think you made some valid points and I have tried to address them. The gradient is still a bit messy but I think it already looks a lot better. I’ll have a look around in Whiteharbor and then start my build. Are there any guidelines I should follow? (e.g. sprawl/within walls/ ...)2018-04-17_00.20.41.png 2018-04-17_00.20.55.png 2018-04-17_00.21.02.png

- endymion

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Looks better! You don't need to fix each house after feedback is given, though I'm glad you did. Just keep it in mind for future houses.

For White Harbor, within the walls is preferred. Other than that, feel free to pick any sub-style as long as it's reasonably middle-class.

Reactions: Endymion
Hey

I finished my Whiteharbor house. It's a butcher with workspace on the ground level, living space upstairs and bedrooms in the attic. I know the street looks bad, but that’s because I was so stupid to build in a savanna biome and couldn't mix in the other stones (changed colour).

You also told me not to use trapdoors, so is there any better way to make a shelf. I've looked around and the most used block was carpets, but then I can't put for example a chest on it.

- endymion

Reactions: Hgkoolaid

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey endymion,

Great work yet again! Regarding the trapdoors, unfortunately you still shouldn't use them in this way, though there isn't really an alternative for putting a chest on it. You can do carpet blocks and use a crate or basket slab instead of a chest, perhaps.

Other than that, I really can't find anything wrong with this house, so I'll fast-track your app: for a tentative final challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind that this style is a bit more complicated than the previous ones. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey endymion,

Aced it! The house looks very nice, and the only feedback I have to give are a couple extremely minor things:

- For the stairs, make sure to use half door blocks that are the same wood type as the stairs (i.e. jungle) so that it doesn't look messy.

- Try your best to avoid having patchy carpet. I know in this case you didn't have much of a choice due to the bed, but in general for smaller rooms like this you don't really even need carpet. It might look better to just have a wood floor.

Other than that, great work, so consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses until the end of the month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Reactions: an_escaped_duck
Hey

fantastic! I am really happy.

On the feedback, I totaly agree. This morning I revisited my house and changed the floor and stairs to oak, because the stairs were indeed weird and everything seemed a bit too dark. I have adjusted the photos with the current changes.

I am going to make a probation thread. I think it should be possible to make 5 houses in the coming month, but I can't promise anything. My finals are at the end of May and I have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm certainly looking forward to building with you too.

Reactions: Emoticone11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I am going to make a probation thread. I think it should be possible to make 5 houses in the coming month, but I can't promise anything. My finals are at the end of May and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Yeah don't worry about it, it's not a strict time limit or anything. As long as you don't go completely inactive you're all good. I would just include this when you make a probation thread.