Under Review Editor Project: The Green Fork

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Hello all! I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for an E project, so no worries if a mod needs to move it :)

I'm coming closer each day to completing Lolliston, and everything North of Sweetwillow in terms of world edit has been updated to what I believe are a good standard for the server. In doing this I have utilised amazing river scripts made by Jakey, and even developed a forest and mountain meadow script alongside this Emot's tree placing scripts have made the world edit process far less time-consuming than what I've been used to. With this in mind I've been looking at creating a cohesive terraformed region along the Green fork North of Lolliston.

Before I go any further let it be known that this is a preliminary plan, and I would like to use this thread for other people working on the nearby region to add ideas and any relevant information. I will not be pursuing this properly until I have completed Lolliston and made in-game tests for the region.

So, here is the overall plan mapped out:
riverlands.png
I have kept the rivers exactly the same in this image, but as I develop more in detail plans I will post enhanced images of what type of rivers they are and how they will be planned.

• The 2 Big Issues:
    • The Green fork - This river is vastly inconsistent as I have previously mentioned, however after seeing some amazing tests from Batel I believe we could apply these and other variations of this design to the banks of the Green fork, while also giving the river itself a freshen up. I will conduct some testing on this aiming to use the Middle and Lower sections. of the Rhine as an inspiration.
    • The Mountains of the Moon - All of the vale mountains are a big issue on the server in terms of our current standards, I know that Infininity and Emot have worked on updating these in south of the Vale, and have done an amazing job. However, I don't think I have the same ability to do this, on top of this if I was to completely redo the mountains in this region, I would outdate all of the Vale-Riverlands border mountains. Besides this, the mountains don't look too bad when viewed from a distance as I've found in Lolliston. So my plan here (which I will test in Lolliston) is to remove bad blocks such as the stone bricks that scatter the mountains and to add some striations using Emot's script which I've seen produce nice results elsewhere on the server.
  • The plan:
    • Step 1 - Gather more information/ideas/references/inspiration from the community and from ASOIAF sources
    • Step 2 - Produce in-game tests and enhanced plans
    • Step 3 - If approved begin work
    • Step 4 - Nuke old Forests in the region
    • Step 5 - Smooth out general terrain
    • Step 6 - Update Mountains
    • Step 7 - Plot rivers, and foot hills
    • Step 8 - Generate/Create rivers and foot hills
    • Step 9 - Generate forests and meadows/plains
    • Step 10 - Begin applying Green fork tests to the river along the banks of the project
    • Step 11 - After receiving feedback on the GF, apply to extend results to the entirety of the GF

Finally I was thinking we should add another House to this area as there is quite a lot of land divided only between 2 houses, and we have so many Riverland houses that are badly placed or not in existence at all on our map. I'm open to suggestions on this too.

Again this is just a preliminary idea, I'd love your input and help to update a region of the server I've been working on for almost all of my time on the server :D
Thanks - Waz

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
Hello all! I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for an E project, so no worries if a mod needs to move it :)

I'm coming closer each day to completing Lolliston, and everything North of Sweetwillow in terms of world edit has been updated to what I believe are a good standard for the server. In doing this I have utilised amazing river scripts made by Jakey, and even developed a forest and mountain meadow script alongside this Emot's tree placing scripts have made the world edit process far less time-consuming than what I've been used to. With this in mind I've been looking at creating a cohesive terraformed region along the Green fork North of Lolliston.

Before I go any further let it be known that this is a preliminary plan, and I would like to use this thread for other people working on the nearby region to add ideas and any relevant information. I will not be pursuing this properly until I have completed Lolliston and made in-game tests for the region.

So, here is the overall plan mapped out:
View attachment 15814
I have kept the rivers exactly the same in this image, but as I develop more in detail plans I will post enhanced images of what type of rivers they are and how they will be planned.

• The 2 Big Issues:
    • The Green fork - This river is vastly inconsistent as I have previously mentioned, however after seeing some amazing tests from Batel I believe we could apply these and other variations of this design to the banks of the Green fork, while also giving the river itself a freshen up. I will conduct some testing on this aiming to use the Middle and Lower sections. of the Rhine as an inspiration.
    • The Mountains of the Moon - All of the vale mountains are a big issue on the server in terms of our current standards, I know that Infininity and Emot have worked on updating these in south of the Vale, and have done an amazing job. However, I don't think I have the same ability to do this, on top of this if I was to completely redo the mountains in this region, I would outdate all of the Vale-Riverlands border mountains. Besides this, the mountains don't look too bad when viewed from a distance as I've found in Lolliston. So my plan here (which I will test in Lolliston) is to remove bad blocks such as the stone bricks that scatter the mountains and to add some striations using Emot's script which I've seen produce nice results elsewhere on the server.
  • The plan:
    • Step 1 - Gather more information/ideas/references/inspiration from the community and from ASOIAF sources
    • Step 2 - Produce in-game tests and enhanced plans
    • Step 3 - If approved begin work
    • Step 4 - Nuke old Forests in the region
    • Step 5 - Smooth out general terrain
    • Step 6 - Update Mountains
    • Step 7 - Plot rivers, and foot hills
    • Step 8 - Generate/Create rivers and foot hills
    • Step 9 - Generate forests and meadows/plains
    • Step 10 - Begin applying Green fork tests to the river along the banks of the project
    • Step 11 - After receiving feedback on the GF, apply to extend results to the entirety of the GF

Finally I was thinking we should add another House to this area as there is quite a lot of land divided only between 2 houses, and we have so many Riverland houses that are badly placed or not in existence at all on our map. I'm open to suggestions on this too.

Again this is just a preliminary idea, I'd love your input and help to update a region of the server I've been working on for almost all of my time on the server :D
Thanks - Waz
i did not ever expect my first terraforming attempts to inspire a long time editor , but i am happy it did lol . I'd be more than glad trying to create something good for the greenfork and its surroindings as the region needs some love . I'll be making more reseach for my project on the greenfork(mandrake) and hope it helps :)

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
i did not ever expect my first terraforming attempts to inspire a long time editor , but i am happy it did lol . I'd be more than glad trying to create something good for the greenfork and its surroindings as the region needs some love . I'll be making more reseach for my project on the greenfork(mandrake) and hope it helps :)
Just speaking the truth! I’m really glad that you wanted to terraform the GF around your project and I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Reactions: Guillaaard

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
After looking through our Riverlands repository and seeing that Demod moved around a lot of houses in 2020 I've decided that it would only further complicate the issue by moving a House into the area of the Unknown House I placed.

However, I still think it would be good to split the area into 3 sections as it makes the area far more digestible for builders of all calibres. So for the Unknown house region, I propose populating it with a couple of Landed knights which could have a "Stout holdfast" each as Catelyn describes along the Green Fork.

Another Note: I read up on the battle of the green fork and it seems like nothing is around that area at all apart from the Green fork and some hills behind Roose's host. The hills would fit well with my plans and where Demod placed the battle. It even would fit well with the landed hedge knights who likely don't have any ability to spring up a town or large village along the king's road.