DatWaffleBoi

Bard
What is your Minecraft username?
DatWaffleBoi

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
USA

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
ASoIaF is a story that I can completely immerse myself in and forget about the real world. All the little details are what create such a perfect setting to dive into and explore. Something that WesterosCraft has succeeded in replicating.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build on the server is Uffering. What a beautiful castle! Great terra and a fantastic view!

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to become a builder so I can contribute to my favorite project on the internet. I think I first joined the server in October of 2018 and I have spent an embarrassing amount of time just wandering around and admiring everyones creations. I’ve put off applying for so long now and I honestly don’t know what finally pushed me to submit this. From the day I first joined till now I have drafted up four application forms. Thank you to everyone who has been friendly to me and encouraged me to apply throughout the years!

Imgur Album:
Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Attachments

• 2022-05-30_21.03.30.png
    2022-05-30_21.03.30.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 2022-05-30_21.03.38.png
    2022-05-30_21.03.38.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 2022-05-30_21.03.43.png
    2022-05-30_21.03.43.png
    779 KB · Views: 4
  • 2022-05-30_21.03.48.png
    2022-05-30_21.03.48.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2022-05-30_21.04.02.png
    2022-05-30_21.04.02.png
    779.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2022-05-30_21.04.08.png
    2022-05-30_21.04.08.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2022-05-30_21.04.12.png
    2022-05-30_21.04.12.png
    915.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2022-05-30_21.04.28.png
    2022-05-30_21.04.28.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
It does work now! thanks

The house is looking on point and I'd love to see what you can do with a house in the style of tumbleton and/or its lands. You can make a cute yard too if you want to give a little bit of extra context to the structure.

Best of luck!

Reactions: FD001__

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya, nice work. The profile of the building is good and for the most part you've really fleshed out the interiors. However, I've got a few points with the exterior and the furnishings.

-You've done a good job with the gradient, a tip to remember is that the lighter blocks look particularly good where there would be the most erosion/weathering.

-For the daub pattern it would have been better to use vertical timber instead of the close timber and then place the cross pattern on top of both ends of the facade and windows. That way the windows are better supported. I'd also change the left and right timber blocks to just be on the bottom line of the facade. that way you've got a cleaner centre that still makes sense. Same thing for the sides. Change it from close timber to the vertical timber and move the diagonal patterning onto the bottom block.
-The daub pattern on the larger dormer in pic 5 though is fine.

-The peak of the roof on both ends of the building should have some kind of wooden centre block, rather than two blocks deep of thatch. Here are some examples.
Inked2022-06-03_11.51.53_LI (1).jpg

-On the first floor, I'd put some railing around the staircase hole and change the fancy parquet table for one made of upside down stairs or two hoppers. The table drawers could also be exchanged for bench drawers so they don't have the fancy parquet texture on top.

-The attic ceiling could use some improvement. look at how the steep ceilings are done in tumbleton and WHsprawl. the halfdoor-stair-halfdoor underside cladding particularly.

-The carpets on the ground floor could be larger. the more of it there was covering the floor, the easier the area was to clean.

-Only real issue I have with the yard is that the frame outside should have the roof consistently sloping down with either stairs or slabs. its currently too flat and the thatch would hold water and go mouldy.

I didn't give you a profession so good work utilising space. I'd like to see you build a farrier (blacksmith who shoes horses) in the style of Hammerhal as your next challenge.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya Waffle,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. This house looks pretty good. the forge too. However, I'd like to see you do something in a more minimalistic style. Can you make a carpenter for me in the style of Frost?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Awesome! I'd usually go for a northern bed for anywhere in the north but thatch is fine here. good job working with the cramped interiors.

For your next challenge build, could you do me a middle class chandler in the style of Tumbleton?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya,

Good work with the interiors! I've got two points though. With the horizontal line of Cross frame, it should continue all the way to the sides rather than having the close framing on the sides of the line. Also, with the attic and everywhere with the sloped ceiling, it would look better to have the whole ceiling clad with wood, rather than having exposed patches of thatch. If the roof material was wood in this situation, I'd love it far more, especially with how cool your framing supports are.
Great work with the workshop too! only thing I'd recommend in future is to use thatch in the workshop too.

So for a final test, could you build me something in the style of Ghost Hill? I'm looking for gradienting particularly.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Nice work with an angled house. Simple style, gradient is good. In future I'd suggest to make the table out of carpet and halfdoors.
Otherwise, I've been quite pleased with your work. Consider your builder application approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

As you no doubt know, the next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum.
Go forth and build open plots! You know your way around the open projects and the dynmap pretty well, I presume but remember there's the open plot filter.

A probie leader should post on your thread in a week and will give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month. It also doesn't do any harm to ask other builders, project leaders and/or mods for tips and critique. After a month has passed, your buildings (5 minimum) up to scratch and your probation leader is confident in your ability, Newbuilder shall become Builder.

Considering you know the way around the server pretty well from your long, long nobuild-ship, if there's any minis you are interested in, have a play around with testing ideas for them. Or planning some out. Always good to test yourself and your skills and make something cool on a larger scale. Wishing you all the best with the blocks to come!

AeksioOndos

Reactions: Ric