CryoVonBismarck Builder Application

CryoVonBismarck

Mummer

Sweden, live in the U.S

I am currently in love with Game Of Thrones. I watch youtube videos, listen to audio tales, and watch the show. Since I do all that and I really like building in Minecraft.
I started a new world in Minecraft while watching the "Rains of Castamere" episode and then searched up GoT Minecraft servers. This being the first one I saw.

I do really like the Elder Scrolls series if that counts.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings

All of the above

My favorite? That's a hard question considering how many characters there are in the series but if I had to pick one it would have to be Tywin Lannister.
I really love the aura you get from seeing him both on screen and in the books, his ruthlessness and dedication is interesting to me.

I am very decent when it comes to terraforming, making lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water.
I would say that I am really good at making community projects such as parks, city centers, and docks. I know how to differentiate the blocks that I use in building and how to stand out more so it doesn't look flat. Although I shouldn't be the one to do interiors in group projects

What can I say? I love Game Of Thrones. I love building in Minecraft, it's almost therapeutic.
So I can imagine listening to an audio track about ASOIAF and its lore while building on this server. I find the world of Game Of Thrones intriguing and more so to build it with others in a world that we can interact with.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Cryo,

Thanks for the application. I'm afraid for applications to be viable, the submitted build must be built using our texture pack in our launcher. I'd also like to remind you that we ask for a house built in the style of one of our existing server projects. That means, not a castle, or a keep, or a tower, but a house, that bears a resemblance to some of our own builds. I'd suggest that before you submitting your next album of images, you spend a bit of time exploring the server and getting to know a style you appreciate. :)

Post your updated application build Imgur link here when you're done and we'll take a look.

Thanks!

CryoVonBismarck

Mummer
Hi Cryo,

Thanks for the application. I'm afraid for applications to be viable, the submitted build must be built using our texture pack in our launcher. I'd also like to remind you that we ask for a house built in the style of one of our existing server projects. That means, not a castle, or a keep, or a tower, but a house, that bears a resemblance to some of our own builds. I'd suggest that before you submitting your next album of images, you spend a bit of time exploring the server and getting to know a style you appreciate. :)

Post your updated application build Imgur link here when you're done and we'll take a look.

Thanks!

Okay, I shall do that at once, thank you. I really like this server so ill try to do it asap

Reactions: Arkilstorm

CryoVonBismarck

Mummer
Hi Cryo,

Thanks!
I changed it, my friend

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Cryo,
Thanks for updating the build, I appreciate it, and apologies for taking a little while to get back to you.
After reviewing your house, there's quite a few issues that would make the house unable to meet our quality standards. The house also doesn't seem complimentary to any of our existing builds; part of this initial challenge is to test that prospective builders have spent time visiting and understand how we build and the standards / styles that we expect of our build team.

Here is a bit of feedback on this house:

- The roof overhang isn't supported beneath, making it look a bit messy and unrealistic.

- There seems to be no palette in the brickwork supporting the structure, which looks very plain. Basalt is also an unusual choice of foundation stone.

- The interior layout doesn't seem to have much planning, and appears very 'open plan' which isn't typical of medieval houses.

- The overuse of trapdoors is very apparent. We have half-door blocks specifically for this purpose. You shouldn't use vanilla textured blocks outside of their specifically intended purpose, such as trapdoors.

- Literacy levels in the medieval period was exceptionally low, and books were hugely expensive, and this house has six bookcases.

I'd definitely advise taking a look around the server a little more and get a better grasp at the way in which medieval people lived, that way you may have a better understanding of how houses can be more accurate representations.

I'm going to set you an initial challenge build. I'd like you to build a house in Single-player and post an album of images in this thread once completed. Please build a low-class rural house in the style of /warp Woodwright. These house examples can be found west of the main town, along the main road.

Good luck!

CryoVonBismarck

Mummer
Hey Cryo,
Thanks for updating the build, I appreciate it, and apologies for taking a little while to get back to you.
After reviewing your house, there's quite a few issues that would make the house unable to meet our quality standards. The house also doesn't seem complimentary to any of our existing builds; part of this initial challenge is to test that prospective builders have spent time visiting and understand how we build and the standards / styles that we expect of our build team.

Here is a bit of feedback on this house:

- The roof overhang isn't supported beneath, making it look a bit messy and unrealistic.

- There seems to be no palette in the brickwork supporting the structure, which looks very plain. Basalt is also an unusual choice of foundation stone.

- The interior layout doesn't seem to have much planning, and appears very 'open plan' which isn't typical of medieval houses.

- The overuse of trapdoors is very apparent. We have half-door blocks specifically for this purpose. You shouldn't use vanilla textured blocks outside of their specifically intended purpose, such as trapdoors.

- Literacy levels in the medieval period was exceptionally low, and books were hugely expensive, and this house has six bookcases.

I'd definitely advise taking a look around the server a little more and get a better grasp at the way in which medieval people lived, that way you may have a better understanding of how houses can be more accurate representations.

I'm going to set you an initial challenge build. I'd like you to build a house in Single-player and post an album of images in this thread once completed. Please build a low-class rural house in the style of /warp Woodwright. These house examples can be found west of the main town, along the main road.

Good luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Cryo,

Thanks for your patience, heres some feedback on this build:

- Firstly, the stone palette is a little odd, You should consider the size of the bricks on the blocks when used together, they should create a weathering effect. Use the cobble in the most weathered areas (corners, around doors and windows etc) then use the reach pink bricks around that, followed by the smaller reach pink, then by the light stone. This gives you a natural progression, and highlights structural details in a more nuanced manner.

- You need to pay a bit more attention to the height/size of the buildings, as your roof seems to be a bit too far forward and leads to a weird overhang which isn’t present in any of the example buildings.

- For the Woodwright style, try not to use normal oak fence blocks, any supporting oak fence is made of bark.

- I definitely suggest spending a bit more time exploring and making note on the details in houses. You’ve used the wrong door and shutter colours, and the shutters open incorrectly, and the shape of the house isn’t like any other in the area. The chimneys also don’t match the region style.

- On the inside, nice try, but again, it doesn’t quite match any of the examples. The wooden planks on the floor aren’t in any others, the pine needles and mud dont make sense as part of the floor palette, and there’s exposed thatch in the ceiling which would need to be supported from beneath by wood.

To reiterate, you should definitely spend a bit more time exploring the builds and get a bit more of an understanding of the basic principles we expect in houses. Feel free to ask builders for advice in game if you’re struggling with details.

I’m going to set you a second challenge. This time, please build a wooden house in the style of /warp oldforge

Once you’ve finished, please post the album link here again.

Good luck!

Reactions: CryoVonBismarck