Block Change Request: Wooden shingle/shake roof

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Request: Wooden shingle/shake roof

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Even through it can be reasonably considered too late to add such a common, universal block, I still would like to propose it. Wooden shingle/shake was very common, staple in many regions, roofing material, found everywhere with decent amount of wood available, especially in Northern, Central and Eastern Europe, as well in montane areas.
Even through usage of simple, rough shake as roofing material declined in last centuries in favour of more sophisticated materials, it was very widespread in Middle Ages and still can be found in many rural areas. Moreover, in Middle Ages, even through both thatch and shake roofing were common everywhere, depending on local materials, wooden shingle roofing was more common than thatch in Central, Northern and Eastern Europe, which were much more forested and were only in process of gradual cultivational deforestation, in contrast to Western Europe (France, England and Low Countries), which experienced massive deforestation much earlier, that made wood less available as common material, together with greater agricultural surpluses from fields making thatch more economically reasonable as roofing material. In the process of cultivational deforestation, Central and southern-western half of Eastern Europe were somewhat of transistional zone from shake to thatch roofing, while shake (and wood in general) stayed as overwhelmingly predominant roofing material in Northern and North-Eastern Europe well until XIXth-XXth centuries.
That's why I got a thought about wooden shingles when I saw snowy thatch blocks added - in areas with considerable snowfall, like Russia or Scandinavia, thatch roofs weren't common as they aren't so resistant to laying snow as wood roofing, especially when laying snow melts during springs, extremely worsening condition of a roof with excess of moisture uncomparably worse than sliding rainfall.

Currently, conceptually (atleast for me), wooden shingle roofing is represented on the server by using planks instead, which is logical substitute, yet not perfect. The thing is that wooden shingle is distinct roofing material from wooden planks. Wooden planks are made by sawing logs into long pieces, what requires a saw that wasn't such common instrument in Middle Ages as it is in our days (usage of saw gradually spread from urban settlements to villages and from Western Europe eastwards during Middle Ages, becoming common instrument in Russia only in XVIIIth century), while common simple shingles are made from wood simply by cutting logs into smaller pieces by axe, which was universally common instrument well before Middle Ages. As planks are a better material (easier to produce by sawmill and more solid and easier to build), they quickly replaced shake roofs in Scandinavia and Russia, where wooden roofing was essential, when saw became common instrument, in XVIIIth-XIXth centuries, just as in most of Central Europe during XVIth-XVIIIth c.s.

As Westeros somewhat reflects Europe, wooden shingle roofs would be common everywhere where wood is sufficiently available (thus, excluding Dorne), roughly in such decreasing order: the North, where it is staple roof material; Stormlands, especially heavily forested parts; the Vale, especially in highland settlements; Riverlands; Crownlands, common in forested areas, sporadically elsewhere; the Reach, common only in forested areas; Westerlands, only in forested areas. So, regions where wooden shingle roofs would be most common, are either quite unfinished or outdated with potential of redoing, as such, implementation of this block still maybe not too late.

Speaking of immediate building matter, this block would add greater variation and alternative to vanilla-ishly using planks, which have quite limited realistic look as roofs due to their texture (nevertheless good enough to represent proper, "real" plank roofs, just not shingles). There is no need to replace all existing roofs made of planks, as planks also were common roof material in Medieval Europe, especially in more advanced Western regions, like France or England, i.e. the Reach and Crownlands on our server, but in regions inspired by Northern, Central and Eastern Europe, like the North or Stormlands, shake roofs would be much more needed in place of thatch, which is staple in the Reach and Crownlands. This would add more contrast, variation and distinctivness between regions.

To fully realise realistic aesthetic potential of this block, it would be great if it would have the same connected texture mechanic as slate roofs have, i.e., with meaningful orientation of the texture and distinct corner texture. For more variation, there should be several colour variations, generally darker and more wore than planks texture, to show impact of weathering. First of all, the most basic, rectangular shingles should be added, but for variation there also can be more other forms, for example, with semicircular edges.

If my other idea, of small logs block, would be approved, it and this wooden shingle roof block would form a perfect pair to essentially, simply and realistically, represent wooden log houses of Central, Eastern and Northern Europe, the staple of Medieval architecture of Scandinavia and Russia, as well of many parts of Central Europe.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
As I described, wooden shingle/shake roofs were very common, widespread roofing material everywhere in Europe, especially in Northern, Eastern and Central Europe, where it was more prevalent than thatch roofs

Canonical Evidence
I'm not sure if GRRM mentioned such descriptions of roofs, but realistically "wooden roof" likely means shingle roof in Medieval European environment. Anyway, I think I've seen quite some of such roofs in the show.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• wood-roof-shingles_medium_jpg.jpg
    wood-roof-shingles_medium_jpg.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 5
  • bdf59fc0f280044da13166e09a873cb1.jpeg
    bdf59fc0f280044da13166e09a873cb1.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Borgund.Stave.Church.original.14558.jpg
    Borgund.Stave.Church.original.14558.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Dolni_Mesto_-_zvonice_Kostela_sv_Martina_-_detail_strechy.jpg
    Dolni_Mesto_-_zvonice_Kostela_sv_Martina_-_detail_strechy.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
  • s9575368.jpg
    s9575368.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 6
  • kakie-byvayut-pokrytiya-krysh-5.jpg
    kakie-byvayut-pokrytiya-krysh-5.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Wooden_shingles.jpg
    Wooden_shingles.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 82145960e7216dcddd412c1e69a7d30e.jpg
    82145960e7216dcddd412c1e69a7d30e.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 4

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
This is a great suggestion and I feel like it is an essential aspect of rural Swiss architecture. Therefore, I think it should be a high priority for a set of new blocks for Emot's Vale project.
In fact, the full shingle block can also be used for exterior walls, which is quite common in Switzerland.

Attachments

• schindel 2.JPG
    schindel 2.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Schindel 3.jpg
    Schindel 3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Schindle 1.jpg
    Schindle 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 9