Block Change Request: Small logs block aka double vertical logs block

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Request: Small logs block aka double vertical logs block

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
As you might know, I'm Russian, and as such I for years have interest in recreating Russian achitecture in Minecraft. But this task always struggled with one big issue. As you might now, logs were the basic constructional material in Russia since time immemorial, because of the abundance of wood. Most notably, walls were build from logs layered one over another. (Planks (i.e. sawed logs) were rarely used at all up until XVIII-XIX centuries).
This building method (walls of logs) in both vanilla Minecraft and currently in Westeroscraft is generally represented by using vanilla log blocks (and by using planks instead, what is not really perfect in conception). And this is what the issue is. As you understand, the vanilla log blocks are overly gigantic and unrealistically thick, this is why they lost the builders' favour. So log cabins made of such logs look really bad and dull. I got the idea of solution this problem in MC some years ago - there should be a block of small, half block high, realistic logs. Moreover, there are already realistic trees with small trunks (using vanilla stone wall model) on WC, so it is logical to have a log block which utilises such small logs! As I concluded, there are no good options of building realistic and good-looking log cabins in Minecraft without having this block.
This block can be really widely used on our map. This block logically should be staple wall building material, like half-timbered daub, in many regions, most obviously, in most of the North, but also in the Stormlands and in mountains of the Vale (Alpine log cottages). With it, a lot of new and freshly looking styles can be developed and many older styles (in the North, mainly) can be revisited in a new, simple and realistic way.
Now, to how this block can be implemented in game. For illustration of this, I made schemes of blocks and their texture behaviour using logs, using 2x2x2 cube as model for single block.
There are two ways for making the same result, actually (I hope you will understand this, see the sceme for illustration):
The first one is to use single block (per log type (oak, spruce...)) with connected texture. As singluar block this will look like four small logs, two of them at the bottom half of the block, and two in upper half of the block, laying perpendicularly to the bottom logs. This will require having two side textures: one for north-south axis, and other for east-west axis, so the logs will have logical view of log's circles for all the logs (and the third texture for top and bottom of the block, just the log's side view, without circles). When the more blocks are placed in a row, the blocks at the edges (corners) will remain with the log circles, while the intermedial blocks will switch to the top/bottom texture of logs without circles. As logs aren't infinite, it could be logical to have texture with circles in intermedial blocks every 3-5 blocks from the corners blocks with circles.
The other way is simplier, perhaps. In this way, there should be 2 separated blocks (all per each of the log type):
one for the intermedial block of logs, without the circles at the sides (and all four logs in this block will lay paralleled). This block is very similar to the block of firewood, and so will require only two textures and also can be placed vertically.
second for the logs at corners, with circles. It should use some placement mechanic, so the circles will always be at the very corners of the block, and also should have north-south and east-west axis textures so the circles will be showed correctly. This block also could be placed freely intermedial of the log wall, where it is needed.

Moreover, this log block can be used as alternative to the firewood block for portraying firewood.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
This is staple building material/construction technique used widely not only in Russia, but in all Northern and Eastern Europe, as well as in Alpine Highlands.

Canonical Evidence
Log cabins are very common in the North, likely it is staple buidling material/technique here. Logically, log cabins are common everywhere where wood is abundant, like in the Stormlands, or in the Highlands of the Vale

File(s) attached

Attachments

• 2_dom-chetyrehstenok.jpg
    2_dom-chetyrehstenok.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 3849181790.jpg
    3849181790.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC03492.JPG
    DSC03492.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 12

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
The second way. The all states of intermedial log block and how corner log block will look.

Attachments

• 2021-11-01_17.17.19.png
    2021-11-01_17.17.19.png
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-11-01_17.17.24.png
    2021-11-01_17.17.24.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Gealrüable

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Also, both corner techniques can be represented with different textures. For variation.

Attachments

• Thist_angle.jpg
    Thist_angle.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Oblo-angle.jpg
    Oblo-angle.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Gealrüable

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Also, slabs and stairs can also be presented. However, I'm not sure how the stairs texture will behave.
Also, wall model block can be nice - just two thin logs placed horizontally.

Attachments

• 2021-11-01_17.25.57.png
    2021-11-01_17.25.57.png
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-11-01_17.26.34.png
    2021-11-01_17.26.34.png
    964 KB · Views: 7

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Similar to the firewood block but with CTM?
Well, not really, like reallly not. Block of firewood is, atleast as I see it, a pile of logs cutted into pieces by axe, each of this pieces is approximately ¼ of the block wide.
Texture of the small logs block I propose is composed of whole small logs half-block wide each with two such logs visible from the side. See my rough models using vanilla logs, perceive 2x2x2 cube as one block to get a general idea.
This small logs block I propose just can be used as alternative to firewood, especially in the sense of uncut to pieces logs.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I thought I put together a request similar to this a while ago but it seems I've been quite forgetful. I was going to suggest a block and wall set with the firewood texture but with the smaller logs that make up the block continuing for its full length, meaning that you could stack 2+ together and it'd look like the logs were longer. Currently, the firewood texture has a division so that the logs are 1/2 of a block long. These would essentially be a directional block that could be used as a layered wall or a vertical fence like wall or supporting structure. It would be particularly useful for small camps and settlements beyond the wall.

With your suggestion Nikas, the izba or khata is made of logs that have been stripped of their wood so they would not split. So these would potentially need a new texture that represents a barkless log rather than creating a 4 log block like a chunkier version of firewood.

What are the thoughts on a barkless directional log block? it could be put over acacia or dark oak for testing potentially

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Here's approximate view of what I suppose.
First variant is simple and more or less good looking. It is what I originally meant in the first post. Even though it isn't exactly realistic, it fits well within Minecraft, in my opinion.
The second variant is experimental, as it is much more complicated to pleasefully implement.
Also, for variation, there should be type of corner with just vertical log, like I modelled using vanilla logs in 2x2x2 cube as a block model.

Attachments

• 2021-11-02_18.53.01.png
    2021-11-02_18.53.01.png
    855.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2021-11-02_21.51.44.png
    2021-11-02_21.51.44.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2021-11-02_23.19.45.png
    2021-11-02_23.19.45.png
    826.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
I thought I put together a request similar to this a while ago but it seems I've been quite forgetful. I was going to suggest a block and wall set with the firewood texture but with the smaller logs that make up the block continuing for its full length, meaning that you could stack 2+ together and it'd look like the logs were longer. Currently, the firewood texture has a division so that the logs are 1/2 of a block long. These would essentially be a directional block that could be used as a layered wall or a vertical fence like wall or supporting structure. It would be particularly useful for small camps and settlements beyond the wall.

With your suggestion Nikas, the izba or khata is made of logs that have been stripped of their wood so they would not split. So these would potentially need a new texture that represents a barkless log rather than creating a 4 log block like a chunkier version of firewood.

What are the thoughts on a barkless directional log block? it could be put over acacia or dark oak for testing potentially
Well, I think, for the small logs block the general colour tone should be remained the same as for logs with bark, just having the more plain barkless texture. So, not using the colour tone of respectful wood planks, which is quite brighter. Barkless logs are actually quite quickly become darkened on air and weather. But this is just a thought - I think texturemakers will make great texture, both realistic and good-looking.
For barkless vanilla logs - I think they can have quite limited use, because they are essentially the same vanilla logs. They could be great as roof supporters in castles or other large buildings, though