Block Change Request: Tidal Waves / Horizontal Waterfall

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Request: Tidal Waves / Horizontal Waterfall

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Similar to the waterfall block, this block would function to allow builders to indicate the movement of water and its rapidity.

This would be somewhat more decorative and we could suggest minimal usage of it to not outdate other rivers or shorelines. Their addition isn't hard to add to projects either just toss a few where water is flowing or crashing. Only in treachours waters should any be used to an excessive amount.

Just an idea I threw out to the OT Terra team, they've said they've tried indicating this movement with little to no avail.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Uh, water moves? It did then and still does :).

File(s) attached

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 13
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 13

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Bring back wave CTM Emoticone11
The CTM actually never went away, it just stopped working at some point. I'm not sure why. I suspect that CTM with any sort of fluid block is tricky or impossible.

Could potentially do a horizontal block (akin to duckweed) that floats slightly above the water, but I don't think it would be possible to make it look realistic at all, like in the images you linked. It'd end up looking like the currents in pokemon games.

At least for rapids, I've found that a trick that actually looks pretty nice is just using WE to place scattered water:7 (i.e. the shortest water layer) above some bit of water. Though it requires a bit of playing around to get right.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
We could try to apply the wave CTM to a flat water lily type block.

If I ever get some time I'm also happy to take another stab at fixing it for the water block itself in Ocean Biome.

If red had some time on his hands we could also try getting a custom liquid block that emits particles out onto adjacent non-liquid blocks?
WaveBlock.jpg