Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Request: Terrain gradients/more diverse geological blocks

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
After visiting Ardacraft a lot during the recent months, I have started to see that their "terrain gradient" (should I say) is better than on Westeroscraft. Westeroscraft terraforming is great too, but I think that Ardacraft has achieved a better level of detail.

Most of the mountains in the Vale for example are just mountains of the moon terrainset. It looks good in general yes, but very blank and uninteresting compared to Ardacraft and IRL mountain geography. So I'm suggesting that we add a few more terrainblocks, not necessarily terrainset blocks, but something similar. Minecraft already has diorite and andesite that WC is not using, why not retexture them to create more diverse and detailed terrain?

The pictures I attached to this form are from Ardacraft.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
My historical evidence is the basic geography and geology of earth.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• arda.png
    arda.png
    943.9 KB · Views: 31
  • ARDA2.png
    ARDA2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: ContraBlonde

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
This was actually the purpose of the recent terrainset revamp that we did; with regards to the Vale, some very nice striations can be made using Eastern Islands and/or Iron Islands in the mix (especially with Tham’s overlays which will be included in the next update). I played around with this a bit at Wickenden before but didn’t keep anything around. However, adding the textures and actually applying them in terraforming are two separate things.

If you have any specific suggestions for new terrainsets to fill current gaps, feel free to leave them, but I urge you to experiment with the terrainsets we have currently first.

Here’s a diorama that Tham made showing some of the possibilities:

f39431d6-affe-4905-8786-b4f8af10cdff-jpeg.3261

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for clearing things out Emot! Now looking at that image I see what you mean, but I haven't seen that level of detail still used for example in the Vale. Though I don't know the age of Vale mountains either so can't really comment on it.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
The vast majority of the Vale mountains are as they were when they were made with worldpainter. I have noticed a bit of a gap in terms of color variation for the Westerlands terrainset, and in particular for coloration from water. Currently, I believe some of us have been filling the gap by using pebble blocks slightly darker than the terrainset, but it would be nice to have a terrainset block to do the job.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I have noticed a bit of a gap in terms of color variation for the Westerlands terrainset, and in particular for coloration from water. Currently, I believe some of us have been filling the gap by using pebble blocks slightly darker than the terrainset, but it would be nice to have a terrainset block to do the job.
Could you open a dedicated request for this? I'll lock this one as it is not actionable enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.