Block Change Request: Slightly darker version of the Westerlands terrainset

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Request: Slightly darker version of the Westerlands terrainset

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
A slightly darker version of the Westerlands terrainset to give some color variation in mountains. Other terrainsets are either lighter than the Westerlands variety or too dark (or the sedimentary texture).

20917653-exotic-high-cliffs-of-limestone-mountain-thailand.jpg

File(s) attached

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey, lemonbear! From the picture it is not clear to me what exactly you want.

First of all, did you check if you could achieve what you need using any existing terrain set blends with the overlay pack? Like mountains of the moon or eastern islands? Did you try the westerlands alt set?

If you did that and that didn't yield any satisfying results:
Could you indicate using in-game blocks what colour is missing in a spectrum? I have a reference wall at /warp overlaytest which I use to check which sets can directly blend.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I have tried combining westerlands terrainset with other variant. Pictured below is mountains of the moon, eastern islands, and wet westerlands pebbles. Both mountains of the moon and eastern islands are too grey to look good in-game (and mountains of the moon is too light, regardless). I forgot to include the alt westerlands set, but that one is too light, if I remember correctly.

westerlands terrainset.png

My current tests primarily use wet westerlands pebbles to try to get color variation in the rock, but it would be nice to have a terrainset (maybe to replace westerlands alt) that is a bit darker than the westerlands terrainset like the wet westerlands pebbles.

rough color transition with pebbles.png

I have tried combining westerlands terrainset with other variant. Pictured below is mountains of the moon, eastern islands, and wet westerlands pebbles. Both mountains of the moon and eastern islands are too grey to look good in-game (and mountains of the moon is too light, regardless). I forgot to include the alt westerlands set, but that one is too light, if I remember correctly.

View attachment 7442

My current tests primarily use wet westerlands pebbles to try to get color variation in the rock, but it would be nice to have a terrainset (maybe to replace westerlands alt) that is a bit darker than the westerlands terrainset like the wet westerlands pebbles.

View attachment 7443
If a darker terrainset for the westerlands gets implemented, I'd ask for it to be it's own separate block, I use the current Westerlands alt block in Starpike and it's really great to mix with the reach terrain set since it's less saturated and has a more green-ish tint.

Reactions: Elduwin

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
The issue is that those blocks use the sedimentary texture instead of the limestone texture.

Here's an extremely rough edit of the kind of color I'm looking for (although it could end up a bit greyer, warmer, darker, etc.). I just messed with the color mixing a bit.

rough mock up.png

Last edited:

Pixeld_

Poet
As a reference, this is what i did at Wyndhall.
It's the best i could with the given blocks and I think it looks alright. There is still room for improvement ofcourse but I'm satisfied with it.
I don't know this is what you're looking for but I thought it could help

Attachments

• 2021-03-02_13.01.25-min.png
    2021-03-02_13.01.25-min.png
    796.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2021-03-02_13.02.36-min.png
    2021-03-02_13.02.36-min.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 29

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I'm more so looking for something kinda like the vertical discoloration/color variation that highlights the edges of more vertical mountain faces rather than the more horizontal sedimentary texture. Although I might still reach out to you for your assistance because what you did at Wyndhall does look very nice.

2300x0.jpg