Block Change Request: Retexture banners to use light and dark thatch textures, to be used as curtains.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Request: Retexture banners to use light and dark thatch textures, to be used as curtains.

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Hi,
I would like to request if you could retexture the vanilla banners to use thatch textures. I think they would make geat curtains, because thatch walls aren't always the most aesthetic solution.
Now this is just a quick concept I made, by quickly retexturing the vanilla banner base texture.
It would take more than just doing what I did because all the banners can't be easily changed with a resource pack... maybe OptiFine could help? Or if even OptiFine doesn't do the job, maybe try to copy the vanilla banner code and making a custom block in the WesterosCraft mod?

File(s) attached

Attachments

• 2021-03-12_19.11.21.png
    2021-03-12_19.11.21.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 53

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Quick comment that curtains weren't really a thing (at least in Europe) until the 15th and 16th centuries, and weren't widely used until the late 18th and 19th century. Fabric was just too expensive to be used in front of windows. It was much more useful for bedding and clothing.

The most common way to cover a window was via external or internal shutters (internal shutters being more common towards the 17th century) or oiled or waxed papers stretched over frames (like a canvas) which could be used to cover the window.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Quick comment that curtains weren't really a thing (at least in Europe) until the 15th and 16th centuries, and weren't widely used until the late 18th and 19th century. Fabric was just too expensive to be used in front of windows. It was much more useful for bedding and clothing.

The most common way to cover a window was via external or internal shutters (internal shutters being more common towards the 17th century) or oiled or waxed papers stretched over frames (like a canvas) which could be used to cover the window.
Well, they might not be used in the medieval period, but a lot of people on the server makes curtains using thatch walls, so I'm just asking for a better way to do curtains.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I'd argue that curtains currently used in the north are a practical solution to the climate and so would probably arisen. Interior shutters covered by a fur sounds warmer to me than either or. With drystone structures in Norrey I tried to have heavy furs covering windows where I thought it would be impossible to mount a hinged shutter.

Reactions: Shymon

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I have no issue with furs in colder regions where fur would presumably be a more plentiful resource, though it would still be more expensive than wooden shutters.

Reactions: Luk

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I believe velvet curtains are canon for some places like Dragonstone and the Eyrie. Curtains are also mentioned for Castle Black.
Yes that's true, and there's plenty of mention of curtains elsewhere as well. Here's what I could find.
I have omitted references to curtains on palanquins and litters (they are quite common) but have included mentions of curtains on beds as this is the more common use of curtains during the equivalent time period. I have also left in mentions of curtains in Essos, as these trends might have some influence overseas. Curtains being used on windows in Westeros are highlighted in bold.

Curtains in Illyrio's Manse in Pentos (Dany I, GoT)
A curtain in Commander Mormont's room at Castle Black (Jon VII, GoT)
Curtains around Sansa's bed in the Red Keep (Sansa VI, GoT and Sansa III SoS)
Curtains around Maester Pycelle's bed in the Red Keep (Tyrion VI, CoK)
Curtains in Dany's chambers in the palace in Qarth (Dany II, CoK)
Heavy velvet curtains and wooden shutters in the chamber of the Painted Table at Dragonstone (Davos VI, SoS)
Plush blue velvet curtains in Lord Robert's chambers at the Eyrie (Alayne II, AFfC)

I think what we can read from this is that curtains are reserved for high status rooms in high status castles, and I fully support that conclusion. However, I do not believe that these rare few examples of window curtains justifies a dedicated block which might be misused in builds of lower status.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Going to reject this request on the basis of Dutch's reasoning:

I think what we can read from this is that curtains are reserved for high status rooms in high status castles, and I fully support that conclusion. However, I do not believe that these rare few examples of window curtains justifies a dedicated block which might be misused in builds of lower status.

Reactions: DutchGuard