Low Block Change Request: Non-planky wood fence

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Request: Non-planky wood fence

Request Type:
Change

Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed. Do you foresee any issues/ problems that could result from changing the block?
The current wood fences use the plank texture, which results in a layered post or fence.

I suggest to change the texture to a "barkless log" in order to make the fences appear more realistic.
I added vanilla minecraft barkless wood fences as a reference.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• mSqeeRT.png
    mSqeeRT.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Voila ici, le bloque.

3cc2756c1d.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Thamus_Knoward the new fence texture looks good, though there seems to be a bug with the texture offset:

1e8b9a60c0.png

Also, one wrinkle I ran into while testing is that sometimes fences are used with fence gates, like so:

ee8d153e7b.png

While we could replace the fence gate texture with the non-planky texture as well, this would potentially mess up cases where the fence gates connect with wall block or full block versions of wood planks. Unless maybe the fence gate blockstate definition already provides a way to make the model conditional on attaching to fences vs. other types of blocks?

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
. Unless maybe the fence gate blockstate definition already provides a way to make the model conditional on attaching to fences vs. other types of blocks?
The blockstates only consists of connected vs not connected and open vs closed. So what block they connect to is nothing I can determine.

The offset should be a quick fix!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
could fences maybe look a bit more like the vertical beam in the piston? or have a colour that closer to that? it would then look good in when connected to mechanisms etc using pistons.
A potential solution to the fence gate issue is for the horizontal beams to have the old look to them so that its a new vertical horizontal shaft connected by the old horizontal beams. Though that might look wonky

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I don't think a difference between the gate block and plank textured blocks would look out of place.

As a variation on the fence block I don't think the gate block should be a combination of the "plank" texture and the new "post/beam" texture. Its primary use is in combination with fence blocks, and in nearly all cases it represents a different construction than the blocks with the plank texture do. Thus, I think, the gate block should have the new texture as a whole, and differences between gate blocks and blocks with the plank texture only shows the gate blocks in a more accurate fashion regardless wether they portray gates, horizontal beams, fences, decorations or any other use people have come up with over the years.