Block Change Request: Cultural and Climate Variants for Clotheslines

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Request: Cultural and Climate Variants for Clotheslines

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I believe that either with biome CTM (in that in changes its appearance based on the biome) or adding 2 new blocks we can have this work out just fine.

The former ensures that nothing gets outdated as it would remain 1 block but with different states, the latter we can simply go in and replace clotheslines with these new blocks.

My block request is that there should be 2 more clotheslines for Hot Regions (Dorne and the Southern Reach) and Cold Regions (The North and Beyond the Wall) that should represent those regions better. The current clothesline could be renamed to "Temperate Climate Clothesline"

The Hot Region clothesline could have light clothes in light colors (light blue, olive green, sunflower yellow, white) with billowy sleeves and thin-looking fabric (cotton, linen and silk) that protects from the sun and keeps people cool:

The Cold Region clothesline would be heavier cloth in browns, greys and forest greens and include fur underlining the clothes. Clothes to insulate themselves from the cold and cover their extremities.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
People wore different kinds of clothes based on climate.

Canonical Evidence
Clothing wore by people in Dorne, The North and Middle Westeros differs a lot from passage to passage.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The clothesline texture also needs to be revamped in general - the probability of getting the same texture multiple times in a row is too high, and it seems like some people think some of the tiles are better than others, which leads people’s interiors to be ‘dependent’ on the random tiles they end up getting in some sense. Same issue for things like the plate block. I think all blocks of this sort should have enough tiles that the probability of getting 2 in row is sufficiently low, and the tiles should all be more or less substitutable with each other within a given instance.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
It would be nice to have a colourful version of the clothesline for upper class dwellings and tailors
Not so much for the patterns, as the space to make intricate designs on the clothes is very small, but for the colours, I linked some pics of Andalusian (from al-Ándalus, not modern day Andalusia) cloths. Keep in mind they are at least 500 hundred years old, even a 1000, so some of the shades will be discolored. The Free Cities or Dorne could produce some of these amazing pieces.

2021-03-02 (27).png2021-03-02 (29).png2021-03-02 (25).png2021-03-02 (26).png2021-03-02 (28).png2021-03-02 (30).png2021-03-02 (16).png2021-03-02 (17).png2021-03-02 (23).png2021-03-02 (21).png

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I tried collecting some inspiration pics. It was already hard to find tacky exaggerated medieval examples, realistic ones... not even possible, so I gathered some contemporary examples that have some pieces that can be some nice inspiration so don’t mind the jeans and modern clothing lol
Thanks! Even just pictures of medieval clothing in general (not necessarily on clotheslines) would be helpful too if you or anyone wanted to have a look for those.

Options will still probably be restricted to 1x1 size blocks so we won’t have a super large amount of space to work with (so e.g long 1x2 dresses hanging vertically are unlikely).
. 1614693433004.jpeg

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Well we could try to make 1x2 textures too, by stacking two clothlines right on top of each other. That might look weird in some places where clothlines are stacked vertically, but thats not usually how we use those, and i haven't seen a case of it yet.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I think it would be awesome to have at least one possible texture include hose.

Here's a website that sells medieval historic reproduction clothing. Might be useful to look at since they show patterns for a number of the items that give an idea of what the garments would look like flat.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Well we could try to make 1x2 textures too, by stacking two clothlines right on top of each other. That might look weird in some places where clothlines are stacked vertically, but thats not usually how we use those, and i haven't seen a case of it yet.
Sometimes cupboards have 2 lines of 2 blocks of clothesline. Usually people put baskets or other stuff on the 1st level, and clothesline above, but it does appear.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell
Might be asking for a bit too much, but would it be possible to make the clothing block biome dependant? Clothing colours, materials and styles would be very different between places like The North, Dorne, Reach, Stormlands, Ironislands etc. It would function similarly to our current fowl block that also depicts different kinds of birds depending on the biome. You could split it up into warm climate, tempered climate and cold climate clothing, creating 3 groups.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Thanks! Even just pictures of medieval clothing in general (not necessarily on clotheslines) would be helpful too if you or anyone wanted to have a look for those.
Here's some medieval paintings for reference:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Might be asking for a bit too much, but would it be possible to make the clothing block biome dependant? Clothing colours, materials and styles would be very different between places like The North, Dorne, Reach, Stormlands, Ironislands etc. It would function similarly to our current fowl block that also depicts different kinds of birds depending on the biome. You could split it up into warm climate, tempered climate and cold climate clothing, creating 3 groups.
Yep that’s how I was thinking we’d approach it, means that we could instantly roll out the different textures to existing blocks without needing to replace them first.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
issue with connecting to fences is that that you'd need only the twine side to connect, cos it would not work if the cloth side connected. Idk how to say this to make sense got to run to lecture

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
CashBanks before you dive into this. Could we work out a way to 3Dify the clothesline a bit more? I have some ideas that I'd like to prototype before you get started. Also in response to the issues related to random CTM, I have some possible solutions there too.

Since some example pics are needed anyways I'll post my prototypes here as soon as I have them ready!
003e42c811.jpg

Don't wait for me. Whenever you're done ping me and I'll provide a way to set this up! (It's not super straightforward especially with CTM)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Before I move this to in-progress, I'd like to see a concrete list of biomes, and a list of corresponding clothe types that are being asked for. Note that the cloth textures for each biome should be more or less interchangeable with each other preference-wise, to avoid the thing I mentioned above where people try to get a specific texture. Based on Endy's comment, so far I have:

Warm Climate (Savanna, Desert, MushroomIsland): [fill in texture ideas here]
Temperate Climate (Plains, Forest, BirchForest, JungleEdge, Swampland, Ocean, Jungle): [fill in texture ideas here]
Cold Climate (ExtremeHills, Taiga): [fill in texture ideas here]

Maybe it would be better to further split up the Temperate cluster to have Iron Island specific textures (Ocean) and Neck specific textures (Swampland). I'm not really sure; do people think this is necessary?

Once we have a concrete list of textures ideas, I think the best workflow would be for CashBanks to create the textures, I can set up the biome CTM, and then Thamus_Knoward can work his block model magic. Does that sound feasible?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
If this is going ahead, isn't Mega_Taiga identical to Taiga atm? If so, would it be possible to have a Beyond the Wall specific variant?

Furs, patchleather, very little cloth and so on.

Reactions: Azulejo

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Took a stab at some new clothing variants
1617879011622.png
I've separated them out to their own 32x32 square but once we've decided what we want to add and where, we can group them up into different combinations on the one block.

I figured we'd need color variants, and it was faster just to do them all at once (not suggesting we should use every color variant of each one)
1617878957048.png

I took a guess as to what colors would feature in what biome/region as well.

I trieeed some Dorne and North specific blocks, but was completely just guessing about what would be worth trying to draw.
Tried some fur cloaks.
1617880154892.png
(one on the right is supposed to be a mini cape like this)
1617879997402.png

1617879820056.png
(the string thing is an attempt at something like this btw)
1617879666220.png

I can take a stab at more region specific options, just need specific examples and reference shots.
1617880428541.png
This one came in handy.

Would also be easy to add mud stains/signs of weathering to clothes in places like the Neck and the Riverlands, or color combos like green/gold tunics.

Attachments

• 1617879619644.png
    1617879619644.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1617879898215.png
    1617879898215.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 5