Block Change Request: Cabbage Layers

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Request: Cabbage Layers

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I think adding Cabbage layers is necessary to ensure that all our cabbage fields feel nice and smooth, especially those that are on an uneven ground, I would like to compare this addition to that of pebble layers that got added a while back. As it would be used in a similar way - to make the landscape feel more smooth and natural. The river pebbles greatly help us when creating beaches and riverbanks giving them a nice smooth transition between height differences and an alternative to muddy riverbanks. Same could be said for cabbage layer addition, as it would give us an option for smoother cabbage fields that would be layered based on its shape and terrain, greatly enhancing their looks and the quality of the entire build!
Furthermore It could be used to substitute for a certain blocks such as patterned green carpet, or it could be used to represent a chopped up cabbage!
cabbages.png

Thank you for your consideration,
_Simbaa

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
Cabbage as we know it has evolved into a vegetable with a leafy head made up of many layers of leaves.
images

Canonical Evidence
There are certainly quite a few quotes that could suggest cabbage layers are a thing in Westeros such as:
....cabbage leaf, then.
...that might have been some queer sort of cabbage
...rows of cabbages
To delve deeper into the meaning of the first quote, which I believe is the prime example of evidence supporting my block request - A cabbage as we all know is biennial plant grown as an annual vegetable crop for its dense-leaved heads, which obviously consist of many different and unique layers of leaves, which should definitely be represented in the block more, the suggestion of a "cabbage leaf" thus suggests that the cabbages of Westeros do infact have layers.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• cabbages.png
    cabbages.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 2

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey _Simbaa,

Thanks for your request! I definitely think our "cabbage blocks" could need an update for several reasons:
- They are Block Entities (tile entities) and thus take up more data than regular blocks
- Because of that they are tricky to place with WE which leads to somewhat hacky work-arounds (creation of cabbage schems)
- They are just the cabbage heads!! I.e. the edible part of the plant.

The whole cabbage plant looks something like this in a field:
Cabbage.jpg

1920px-Dojranski_zelki.jpg

Here's a curious thing about cabbage and other cole type plants: They are all cultivars which descent from the wild Brassica oleracea var. oleracea which looks like this:
Brassica_oleracea_wild.jpg

I very much appreciate that you included quotes but they are so devoid of context that it is impossible to discern which of the two variants of the same "cabbage" plant is now grown in Westeros. Could you include a bit more upstream and downstream of the short snippet and maybe also include roughly from which chapter they are taken?

Now, to address your specific request. Cabbage layers aren't technically feasible. The block entity state data is already used up by rotation data, hence we cannot "slice" em up to add layers to the existing plants somehow. I admit that adding some sort of plants that work on a finely graded slope is realistic but I'm afraid the limitation of Minecraft is that it is inherently blocky. So, rather than creating a totally new block type for this one specific use-case we should ask ourselves, why don't we feel the need for this with all of our other crop blocks (wheat, lavender, beans, etc)? Does it work better there because the block is "fuller" i.e. takes up more of a whole cube? If so, then I'd argue for creating a dedicated cabbage PLANT block (with leaves etc), adding a random rotation to the block model, and making sure that it is comparable in volume to the existing crop blocks. For the edible parts of the cabbage, I could imagine a dedicated block illustrating, randomly, different parts of cabbage preparation: 1. the whole head, 2. cut slices, 3. two halves, etc.

Edit:

Quite honestly, I'd like everyone to put a little more effort into their requests. I'm not attacking you specifically _Simbaa but I'd like to take this as an example. Your historical evidence section as I see it is mostly a description of what I can only assume is your understanding of the evolution/ biology of the plant. In 5 minutes, I've managed to dig this up from Wikipedia:

"Cabbage was most likely domesticated somewhere in Europe before 1000 BC, although savoys were not developed until the 16th century AD. By the Middle Ages, cabbage had become a prominent part of European cuisine. They can be prepared many different ways for eating; they can be pickled, fermented (for dishes such as sauerkraut), steamed, stewed, sautéed, braised, or eaten raw. Cabbage is a good source of vitamin K, vitamin C and dietary fiber. World production of cabbage and other brassicas for 2018 was 69 million tonnes, with China accounting for 48% of the total." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage

I've found this illustration of medieval cabbage in the 15th century looking a lot more like the wild cabbage:
Tacuinum_Sanitatis-cabbage_harvest.jpg

However, a very detailed section further down points to evidence that on our reference timeline the "head" type cabbage could in fact be appropriate.

"At the end of Antiquity cabbage is mentioned in De observatione ciborum ("On the Observance of Foods") of Anthimus, a Greek doctor at the court of Theodoric the Great, and cabbage appears among vegetables directed to be cultivated in the Capitulare de villis, composed c. 771-800 that guided the governance of the royal estates of Charlemagne.

In Britain, the Anglo-Saxons cultivated cawel.[42] When round-headed cabbages appeared in 14th-century England they were called cabaches and caboches, words drawn from Old French and applied at first to refer to the ball of unopened leaves,[43] the contemporaneous recipe that commences "Take cabbages and quarter them, and seethe them in good broth",[44] also suggests the tightly headed cabbage.

Manuscript illuminations show the prominence of cabbage in the cuisine of the High Middle Ages,[24] and cabbage seeds feature among the seed list of purchases for the use of King John II of France when captive in England in 1360,[45] but cabbages were also a familiar staple of the poor: in the lean year of 1420 the "Bourgeois of Paris" noted that "poor people ate no bread, nothing but cabbages and turnips and such dishes, without any bread or salt".[46] French naturalist Jean Ruel made what is considered the first explicit mention of head cabbage in his 1536 botanical treatise De Natura Stirpium, referring to it as capucos coles ("head-coles").[47]"

Now for any future request: It's important to link to a source so others can verify the provided information. Secondly, in order for the texture team to make quick decisions and be fast implementing new blocks, YOU need to meet us at least half-way. Gather sources that back-up that your requests fit into our setting. If you go for book quotes, make sure we understand how to interpret them. If you add historical evidence, make sure it's A) actually historical and B) evidence of the thing you try to have implemented. I'm going to disregard any allusions to common knowledge or any conjectures that proclaim just because something is one way now we can assume that it used to be like that since the middle ages. Provide some proof or at least a reasonable argumentation. The less time we have to spend on doing research, the faster we can get you some new additions.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
That's gonna be a no from me, chief.

If people have other ideas for reworking the cabbage block, I propose that those be left as a separate block request.

Reactions: ContraBlonde