antiochusnikator Builder Application

switzerland

I downloaded kingslanding

Lotr, a demoncycle

All of the above

Season 1

Davos
he seems like a very nice and reliable person who worked his way up from a smuggler to the kings hand

I like to think of my self as quite creative and excel at making smaller builds that fit well into their surroundings. Iam also very motivated to work on this awesome project.

I love the universe got is set in and think it would be a lot of fun to visually recreate the world in minecraft and see how it all fits together. I also really like the low fantasy stile you are going for in your builds

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JHON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Anti!

Thanks for applying for builder, and I appreciate you posting your build pictures. I have a couple of bits of feedback, but altogether this is a really quaint build. Nicely done!

- The thatched roofing is a little lumpy, but I really like that you’ve tried to give it some character. On the inside of the roof, try and use upturned stair blocks to support the thatch at 45 degrees towards the middle. This will give a more realistic shape to your roof and also give it ample support.

- Your interiors are nicely laid out, and you have a good use of space, but there are a couple of outdated furnishing features I’ve noticed, such as using trapdoors as shelves, and sign blocks as chair arms. If you want to create chairs with arms try using half walls as these are a little more realistic looking blocks. Trap doors work nicely, in that you can place them beneath blocks, but anyone can click them and cause them to open or fall down, which doesn’t look great, especially with blocks floating atop them! Try using the oak carpet or oak slab blocks to create shelves that cant be interacted with.

- We rarely use item frames for objects in houses, as the texture is a vanilla one, but we do have some sword stand blocks, and other wall-mountable shield/banners etc, if you’d like to add decorative details.

Overall these are a couple of lovely builds! I’m going to ask you to do a few challenge builds for us, starting with a middle class house in the style of /warp whiteharbour. Please build your house in single player and post pictures of your build in this thread for me to give feedback! Take a good look at the style/structure of White Harbour houses and how they are laid out. Pay particular attention to different ways we build floors/rafters/staircases/windows etc as these are very region-specific, and getting the hang of these really helps to make a great build!

Good luck!

So this is what i cam up with and thanks for the previous feedback
jWpUo

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Anti,

Thanks for your build! I've got a couple of bits of feedback:

- The roof is a little bit steep at the ends, and this can sometimes make it look like a ‘high fantasy’ or caricature of the local style. Perhaps bring the middle lower section up a block, so that your roof only gets steeper by a single block, rather than two or three.

- With door frames, I’d recommend making them three blocks high (for single doors) with a slab in the top, and a half wooden door to give the entranceway he illusion of height. Take a look at all the doorways in /warp woodwright. This makes entrances a little more elegant, and doesn’t make doors too small for the rooms they’re leading to. Once of your pictures showing a corridor with two double doors leading off from it, the left set of doors looks very squat.

- The Interiors aren’t too bad, but there are a couple of issues. Firstly, as mentioned before, you shouldn’t have burning torches inside a house. These really should only be used in castles and outside in towns.

- Don’t use actual openable doors as the back of chairs, as these blocks are especially designed to be used as doors, hence the brackets on them! The Iron door block makes a good alternative ‘spruce wood’ panel which can be used to back chairs, or failing that, the wooden half-doors/walls are stackable. Try to use similar wood styles in a single house; in the dining room you have birch wood backed stools, oak tables, connected with spruce slabs. In the north we expect to see a lot more spruce. I’d do away with the birch altogether, and try not to mix two clearly different wood types in the same room/use.

- Your fireplace doesn’t really need wooden panels either side of it. If this is meant to be a purely heating fireplace, and not used for cooking, there are ways to use other blocks to create realistic fireplaces, rather than two furnaces; these only really look good side by side in kitchens.

- Don’t forget to put rafters in your rooms to support the floor above. This can be done by placing upside down stair blocks opposite each other, to form a group of rafters and then place a slab between each group. Take a look at the ceilings in houses in /warp fairmarket to see this!

- Cabinet blocks have the ‘front’ on every facing side, but obviously this isn’t realistic, so these blocks should be part of a unit or walls pace where only one side should be visible.

Altogether this house isn’t too bad. The exteriors are nicely done, but the interiors need a little bit of work!

Your next challenge build will be a middle class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Please make sure your house also has a profession / shop on the ground floor; you can choose what the shop is. Pay particular attention to the buildings two stone walls and then the front/back. These houses are built in a very particular way. There are style guides for house layouts floating in the sky above the river between the two parts of the town. If, as before, you can post pictures of your build here, I’ll get back to you with some feedback!

Good Luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Antio,

Thanks for your last challenge build! I have a little bit of feedback for you, but nicely done! There’s a few small details that are a little off, but you’re got the general gist of things.

- Firstly, Fairmarket houses don’t have stone corner supports, as they are usually connected to the neighbouring house for additional support. Despite that, the palette is nicely done. You’ve also given the roof upturned ends, similar to those in White Harbour. Fairmarket doesn’t incorporate this practice, and all roofs should be a straight line of full slate blocks.

- I can see that you’ve used crates as detailing in the building facades; it’s good that you’ve noticed this trend in Fairmarket, but you’re not actually using them correctly. Crates should only be used in a way that one side is visible, whereas yours, we can see the front, bottom and a bit of both sides. They are used in place of your upside down stair blocks as detailed supports for the overhanging floor. Builders often use them purely for the “X” shape detail on the block, and as such you need to make sure that every one you use has the same pattern; your middle one on the front facade isn’t the same as the others. To get all your crates with the same pattern, use the ‘Grapes Crate’ block, as these always have crosses on the sides.

- The facade of your shop looks more like rear of a Fairmarket house, than the front. This isn’t obviously a shop, and your strange washing line and unfinished sign don’t make a lot of sense. Most shop fronts in the town are made of wood, or utilise the stone front a little more interestingly. Your doorway really should be in the centre, or far off the the side, and its quite rare to have glass in the brickwork like that also. Take a closer look at some of the shops on the main square and the long street running the width of the main town.

- When making shop signs, as the instructions explain on the block, you need to make a 1x2 block for them to work. Place the sign blocks one beneath the other, and you’ll end up with a swinging sign. You’ve put half of it in, but not the bottom. These signs should be hung from the overhang above the door, or from a chain/hook on the front of the building. Not on a line out the front.

- The back side of the house is good, but i’d recommend using more of the diagonal daub and wattle blocks, instead of the crosses. If you use too many of them, it looks a little strange. Other than that, this is a good attempt.

- Your shed roof is a little lumpy. Sometimes less is more; a simple diagonally sloping roof looks better than one that’s deliberately been made to look weathered.

- The shop interiors are nice, but try to use shutters rather than the vanilla gate block, it just looks a little more realistic.

- Your room with blood on the floor looks a little bit of a mess. I’d perhaps try to limit how much you put in there. Again, less is more. You don’t need tons of blood all over the floor, and if you’re going to have some ice, it would be kept in a separate room, not amongst all the blood and thatch. Ice would have been very expensive to keep, and where it is at the moment, it’s a waste.

- The kitchen is nice, but try not to mix different carpet types; stick to one. If you want a coloured, carpet, just use the colours together, but remember that they should probably be in a square or rectangle. Thatch carpet on the floor can be a little more sporadic.

- In the first floor bedroom, you can see that you’ve used crates in the daub and wattle; this isn’t seen anywhere in Fairmarket and should be avoided. It doesn’t really make sense to have large pieces of wood in the walls like that. I’ve also noticed that your floor height is a little too high, making the windows touch the floor. You should always have at least one block up from the floor before a window starts, which indicates that your floor is too high. Take a look at the cutaway style guide houses that EStoop has made at Fairmarket as a guideline; this will explain how the houses should be built.

- You’re missing supporting rafters in the roof (usually made of a contrasting wood type). Examples of these can be found again, in Stoop’s cutaway guides, but also in every house in Fairmarket.

All together this isn’t a bad first attempt at a Fairmarket style house. This is definitely one of the harder styles to build, and well done for giving it a go! For your next challenge, I’d like you to build a middle class house in the style of /warp woodwright. These are the houses with slate roofs. Good luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Antio,

Thanks for your challenge build pics; Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you!
This is a really nice build.

Exteriors look really good at first, nicely done.

- A note for the future, most house yards and gardens should be a vague rectangular shape, as it was the easiest way to build walls in straight lines. With that in mind, your garden looks really good!

- With the stone palette, try and pay closer attention to the way the blocks are situated; it isn’t a random mix of four block types, but a transition. The cobble stone block shouldn’t be touching the light stone, instead try and use the transition: Reach Pink Cobble > Reach Pink Brick > Reach Pink Light Stone > Light stone. You’ll notice that the light stone only comes into contact with the Reach Pink Light Stone; otherwise the bricks look a little strange with such a varying style.

- Your interiors are nice, spacious but clearly with different living areas. I have no concerns at all about the interiors at all. Nicely done!

You've made really good progress Antio, and I think it's about time we make you a probationary builder. Please make a new thread in the "probation" area of the forums and I'll pick up your probation thread over there. Congratulations!