Block Change Request: Better BetterFoliage leaf models

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Request: Better BetterFoliage leaf models

Request Type: Change

Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed. Do you foresee any issues/ problems that could result from changing the block?
I want to suggest a potential improvement for the leaf block models.

TL;DR: please download the attached overlay pack (unzip and add it to your resource packs folder, then select the overlay in the resource packs menu), play with it for a little bit, and let me know what you think!

Currently, our leaf blocks use custom models that are intended to replicate the "BetterFoliage" mod that we used to use, which adds vertical cross panes to the normal block model to make it appear fluffier. The issue that I have with the current models is that the combination of cubical panes and cross panes makes the leaves appear rather "rough", with all sorts of weird vertical streaks and other shading artifacts. These shading issues are exacerbated on some people's machines, as can be seen in this thread.

What I want to propose is a remodel to the leaf blocks that, instead of combining cubical panes with cross panes, instead just uses several intersecting panes at various angles. Here are some pictures of the new models:

2023-11-25_23.18.07.png2023-11-25_23.19.21.png
2023-11-25_23.17.40.png2023-11-25_23.18.18.png

(N.B. while this won't fully fix the shading issues for people who suffer from them, it should at least help remove the harsh contrast between the shaded cubical panes and the unshaded cross panes that are experienced with the current models)

There are a couple issues that I forsee with the new models, which I will elaborate in the replies. However, in my opinion these are minor enough that I think the change would be net beneficial. Please let me know if you disagree.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• EmoteLeavesV1.zip
    178.9 KB · Views: 7

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Here are some additional pictures showing the new leaf models with shaders enabled:

koBbCcu.jpg

OqBZwRb.jpg

WnT0aAT.jpg

pths9tC.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Here are the two main issues that I forsee:

1. The leaf models are a bit "sparser", which in some cases makes the gaps between the fence blocks and the leaves apparent, although it's usually not super noticeable. It also makes the fences and walls look just a bit clunkier in general (this might be improved by refining the log texture). Here's one of the worse examples I found:

XTGcWxD.png

However, in general, this issue seems to be fairly uncommon and is only noticable up close.

2. People have used leaf blocks in the ground in order to create the appearance of "bushy" grass or to add texture underneath wattle fence and similar blocks. The new models make these cases look kinda bad, although not completely awful. Example:

LLmxE3s.jpg

My solution to this problem (which isn't an issue with the leaf models themselves, but rather people using the blocks in a contrived way) would be to add new "bushy grass" blocks, which are essentially the grass block combined with the cross panes from the current leaf models, that can be used to replace this usage in the future.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just want to bump this! It'd be helpful if people could download the overlay pack and use it while playing for a few weeks, and let me know if you have issues with the changes after playing with it for a while. I want to know if this is something I should work towards including in the next update (would include new bushy grass blocks to use for replacing the leaf blocks in ground technique).

Uthormadman424

Poet
Pronouns
he/him
The only issue has been what you described above, with bushes in the ground. I would love a bushy grass block for under nettle or ferns, etc. Would it biome dependent, or more based on wood types?

Otherwise, I love the new textures, and on most of the trees I have, I don't get the gaps in. the texture and fences

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
A possible solution to issue 1 is to cycle the fences so that they connect on smaller tree models where it's most noticeable.

And on uthors point, surely a leafy bush block would come in the main eaf varieties and then be effected by biome colours.
We can't really exchange spruce leaves (often used under carrots or snow) for a block that looks more like oak. Id rather just keep using the leaves in that case. I know it's 4 blocks rather than 1 but it'll get the intended result.

A possible option to reduce the total amount of blocks added would be to make a bushy grass that's closer to the old texture for birch (smaller leaves than the oak and brighter) + spruce + broad leaf bush (like jungle).
Basically oak and birch bushy grass combined into one block (slightly lighter than oak) with spruce and jungle as their own separate blocks

Reactions: Finn01

Finn01

Envoy
Just want to bump this! It'd be helpful if people could download the overlay pack and use it while playing for a few weeks, and let me know if you have issues with the changes after playing with it for a while. I want to know if this is something I should work towards including in the next update (would include new bushy grass blocks to use for replacing the leaf blocks in ground technique).
How do you download the overlay pack?

edit: soz I was too lazy to scroll up.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just download the ZIP in the original post, extract it, put the folder in the resource packs folder for your launcher instance, and then select it in the resource packs menu.

Reactions: Finn01