KL6 and Street of Silk discussion

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
I was fliyng over KL6 which borders my district and i realised how massive it is . With further inspection i came across a map Scub made a while ago(image below) and i'm suggesting to divide KL6 into two or even three districts like KL16 or KL14 .

resim_2023-03-11_045536821.png
My reasoning for the change is not only the size of the district but also their demography.

KL6a is the Street of Silk , one of the wealthiest districts of KL , hosting the most famous Brothels of KL including Chatayas .

KL6b is also a wealthy district located at the foot of dragonstone and i cant pick from the colour but it seems like the street of silver from Scub's map. Street of silver is only mentioned once in canon , but its said to be where gamblers gather "Street of Silver is a street in King's Landing where gamblers gather.[1]". This district also hosts Draper's guild.

Last but not least , KL6c , there isnt anything special about this district. Its a less wealthier district compared to the other two and lies next to the KL walls.
The only suggestion i have about the district is that the canon suggests there is a barracks nearby The old gate(my district) "During the Dance of the Dragons, a massive riot broke out in the city. The captains of the Old Gate and Dragon Gate managed to sally out and restore some semblance of order to the streets north and east of Rhaenys's Hill. [3]" and since i dont have a city barracks in KL5 , having one in KL6c near the gate would make sense.

Attachments

• Scub map.PNG
    Scub map.PNG
    882.8 KB · Views: 25

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Rather than have a garrison, I'd suggest having streets open enough but not too wide that would allow Goldcloaks to easily get the area under control. Too wide to barricade but wide enough the Goldcloaks could form a cordon/bludgeon enough people to scare them off. This is the Shepherd's riot that we're talking about, right?

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
that can be done but why wouldnt there be a barracks ? it doesnt need to be as big as the one in KL8 , KL13 has a nice small one done by vis and seri ig ? Something of similliar size should work imo

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
that can be done but why wouldnt there be a barracks ? it doesnt need to be as big as the one in KL8 , KL13 has a nice small one done by vis and seri ig ? Something of similliar size should work imo
You already have about 3 large barracks in the city with a series of smaller barracks or guard posts scattered throughout KL. Of the 3 large barracks you have 1 in the Northeast near Dragon's Gate, another in the Northwest near the Gate of the Gods, and the other known to us as the Sea Fort near the River Gate. The Garrison size appears to stand at around 2,000 during peacetime with capabilities to increase to around 6,000 or more during wartime. Even with these numbers of the city watch we do know that the city gates especially in wartime can be supplemented by additional forces such as was the case in the Fall of King's Landing in 130 AC where the City Watch turned on the the Greens and opening gates quickly subduing the Greens additional forces at each gate. Except having trouble with the Greens 13 Hightower knights and 100 men-at-arms at the River Gate who valiantly held the Gate House for nearly 8 hours before being subdued.
I'd surmise that the 3 large barracks and 7 city gates can each hold at least 200 Gold Cloaks with capabilities for extra Gold Cloaks above 200 more, perhaps 300, so possibly capable of 500 Gold Cloaks at each location (excluding the supplemented additional force). Also, a city gate in many cases can function as a city barracks and when describing the sallying out in the books I believe the City Watch is coming out of the Gatehouse and not some nearby barracks.

So, straight to the point: you could have a city barracks near KL5 in KL6, except the barracks would be similar in size to the one you're mentioning in KL13 or smaller.

Alternative point: there could be an ungarrisoned (abandoned) barracks in KL6 as I don't believe that (can't remember if) Cersei has recruited more Gold Cloaks at our point in the books.

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
You already have about 3 large barracks in the city with a series of smaller barracks or guard posts scattered throughout KL. Of the 3 large barracks you have 1 in the Northeast near Dragon's Gate, another in the Northwest near the Gate of the Gods, and the other known to us as the Sea Fort near the River Gate. The Garrison size appears to stand at around 2,000 during peacetime with capabilities to increase to around 6,000 or more during wartime. Even with these numbers of the city watch we do know that the city gates especially in wartime can be supplemented by additional forces such as was the case in the Fall of King's Landing in 130 AC where the City Watch turned on the the Greens and opening gates quickly subduing the Greens additional forces at each gate. Except having trouble with the Greens 13 Hightower knights and 100 men-at-arms at the River Gate who valiantly held the Gate House for nearly 8 hours before being subdued.
I'd surmise that the 3 large barracks and 7 city gates can each hold at least 200 Gold Cloaks with capabilities for extra Gold Cloaks above 200 more, perhaps 300, so possibly capable of 500 Gold Cloaks at each location (excluding the supplemented additional force). Also, a city gate in many cases can function as a city barracks and when describing the sallying out in the books I believe the City Watch is coming out of the Gatehouse and not some nearby barracks.

So, straight to the point: you could have a city barracks near KL5 in KL6, except the barracks would be similar in size to the one you're mentioning in KL13 or smaller.

Alternative point: there could be an ungarrisoned (abandoned) barracks in KL6 as I don't believe that (can't remember if) Cersei has recruited more Gold Cloaks at our point in the books.
i already thought about the gatehouse garrison thing. The gatehouses abd even the bastions in our KL walls are large enough to house , i'm thinking of a small barracks building like the one in kl13 connected to a bastion could form a decent sized barracks while covering little land area