Zsecuvu Builder Application

Zsecuvu

Mummer

Germany

Article from an online magazine.

Lord Of the Rings, Harry Potter

All of the above

Probably have to go with Davos. He is one of the most likeable characters in the story imo and I love how he got to where he is by commiting a "crime" which saves a whole city and for which he then gets punished still remaining loyal to his punisher. Thats a kind of unusual storyline that I really enjoy. And by the way excuse that overcomplicated sentence. :)
I also love the way Liam Cunningham potrais him in GoT.

I am a very creative guy. I usually live that out in making a whole lot of music. So I can either do some very creative stuff on the server or can balance my general creativity in live by doing some monotonous work that is requiered. (Intend to do both)
Additionally, I started playing Minecraft a long time ago and also did manage some larger projects, allthough none as large as this obviously.

I want to contribute to this amazing project and spend some relaxing time on the server do balance the stress I have in real live.
I really enjoy building (especially in creative mode) in minecraft and feel like this is an ideal server for me.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Feb 13, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SchmiedOlaf

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi Zsecuvu,

Thanks for the application! It seems like you already have a pretty good grasp of what our building style is like, so I'll jump right into feedback:

- The way the daub & wattle is mixed with the stone in the base of the house doesn't really make sense. The stone foundation should just be the bottom of the house (it's built before the rest of the house is) rather than having the stone framed by any other block.

- While it's good that you didn't make your daub and wattle too complicated- try to use smaller patches of "plain white daub", since it looks a little bit too plain the way you have entire walls made out of it. Ideally the plain white daub should just be small areas (like 1x2 vertical) to break up the normal daub & wattle, especially around windows.

- Avoid doing 2x2 windows and 2x1 (horizontal) windows in most cases, instead stick with 1x1 and 1x2 (vertical) windows.

- The way you have lumps of stone sticking out at the base of the house is a little odd.

- The interiors seem very good overall. One thing is I'd reduce the amount of thatch carpet here.

- In the background of the previous image, there's a cabinet which has two sides showing. Always cover all sides except one with half door blocks (or other furniture), since it doesn't make sense for a cabinet to open up on two sides.

- This hallway looks a little too cramped, I'd perhaps make it a little smaller (i.e. less long and narrow). Also try playing around with occassional rafters (i.e. rows of upside-down stairs) in the ceiling.

- The thatch roof here is unsupported from inside. Make sure to always support thatch/slate from the inside, since otherwise the thatch/slate would just fall. Thatch can be mostly covered using wood frames, whereas slate should be completely covered using stairs & wood half doors.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the feedback. For a challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp sweetport. Good luck!

-Emote

Zsecuvu

Mummer
Hi Emotione,

first of all thank you for your quick answer and feedback. :)
I saw that sticking out of the house base in a post made by someone from the server and thought it was kinda cool but I admit it looks a bit weird in my building.

I also got to build the Sweetport house. Have a look. :)

Edit: I noticed it is pretty big for a middle class house, or is it ok like that?

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi Zsecuvu, good work! This house is definitely a large improvement, you're starting to get the style down. Here's some more feedback:

- The size is acceptable in this case, but at the very upper limit. Pretty often houses come out larger than you intended when you originally plotted them, so just something to be wary of in future builds.

- Don't use the thin log blocks in the corners of the stone base; in general avoid using log blocks in houses except for particular interior uses. Check out /warp gradient for some tips on how to do the stone foundation.

- Likewise in this yard, simplify everything a bit and ditch the log/thin log blocks. Also, make the yard rectangular rather than blob-like. Replace the grass with dirt (the grass contrasts badly with the brown stone), and add some veggie gardens too.

- Work on doing the daub & wattle a bit more: Ideally, you should use daub and wattle to create "frames", with plain white daub or open daub & wattle blocks as well as windows are "framed" by the diagonal/cross daub & wattle blocks. Avoid having long rows of open daub & wattle. Let me know if you have any questions on what I mean here. Study the daub & wattle patterns in Sweetport a bit more to see what I mean.

- This porch seems too heavy/bulky; make it extend only 1 block rather than 2, simplify it a bit (getting rid of the log blocks), and make the slabs on the top slope upward rather than downward. Also, stick to just one wood type (rather than oak, spruce, and northern wood all in one).

- The interiors seem good, but a little bit empty in some parts. Try to divide the interiors into more rooms rather than having just one large open space per floor.

- Avoid using bookshelves in ordinary houses, since less than 1% of the population in medieval times were literate.

- Make sure not to have flat ceilings like here, instead make rafters using upside-down stairs and/or half slabs.

- I like the staircase in this room, but the golden chest is a little out of place. Also, try to avoid using signs on furniture, it's a somewhat outdated practice now.

- Remember to always cover slate rooves from the inside (such as here), for the reasons I mentioned in my previous feedback. You can do this using wood stairs, blocks, and half doors. In this case though you might just want to get rid of the little attic space, since there's not enough room to cover it.

A little bit more feedback this time, but it's also getting into pickier things than before. For another challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

Zsecuvu

Mummer
Hi, here i am again,
I have finished the Woodwright build.
I decided to make it the house the home of a baker and his wife.

Please excuse the somewhat messy order of the pictures, imgur didnt let me rearrange them. ._.

Last edited:
Reactions: VonSchwarzenberg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Zsecuvu, lovely work! This house is a large improvement; it would fit in quite well at Woodwright. I only have a little bit of specific feedback:

- The random strip of pink stone in the chimney here is odd. I'd perhaps try to make a gradient on the chimney as well using cobblestone near the base and then transition to light grey stone brick or something towards the top.

- The interior here is pretty good, though could still use a little more realistic detailing- instead of making an empty space and then trying to fill around the perimeter of the room with stuff, try to plot interesting layouts and floorplans far in advance (i.e. before making the actual furniture). Imagine living in an actual medieval house, think of what things you'd use on a daily basis, what it would look like, etc. Do research on google about what medieval houselife was like as well.

- Also, a thatch carpet would make the room more interesting. You can do this using full thatch blocks in the floor, and thatch carpets on top where possible.

Also, for future builds, could you please go back to taking pictures on normal FOV? I'm not used to the quake pro settings so it makes it a little difficult for me to judge.

Other than that, I see nothing major. For the next challenge, let's try something completely different: please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp ghosthill. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Zsecuvu,

Excellent work, you did a great job with the ghost hill style, and got the gradient right which is the tricky part! I only have two main pieces of feedback:

- The garden doesn't really make much sense, there's four major issues:
(1) you're mixing three random crops together, when in reality there would be seperate patches for each vegetable.
(2) wheat is never grown in vegetable gardens, since because wheat has to be milled it's only grown in very large fields.
(3) cow parsley is a weed/wild flower, so it wouldn't be grown in vegetable gardens.
(4) the double-tall fern in the right near the door is a vanilla texture and not a custom block, make sure to avoid these. You can tell by the pixels; all our textures are 32x32 resolution, but the vanilla ones are 16x16 resolution.

- The stone pillars inside the house here don't really make much sense, since everything else is wood. The supports would probably just be wood (thin log) too. Also, ditch the ones in the background here.

- (One more minor thing) I'd fix the gradient on the tower here so that the two white quartz stairs blocks in the indent are bordered by the white plaster rather than the tan plaster. It's kind of jarring right now.

For a tentative final challenge build, let's try a little more complex style! Please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Good luck!

Zsecuvu

Mummer
Thanks for the feedback again. :)
I got around to build the fairmarket house.
As already mentioned ingames its supposed to be a row house inhabited by a butcher.
Its standing at the end of the street so one side ist covered by the next house (yellow wool) and the other one uncovered.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Zsecuvu,

You've done very well on this challenge, despite it being a more complicated style. I only have some very minor feedback to give:

- I'm assuming this side is just unfinished?

- Make sure when you're doing vines (such as in the above image) they're never "patchy" (in small random patches), but instead smooth, continuous, and uniform. Since vines need nutrients to grow, they also need to be connected to the ground somehow.

- The ceiling here could use some rafters (upside-down stairs) rather than being flat.

- Why is there meat stored in the attic as well as in the food pantry? Also, with attics, be careful with doing what we call "crate spam", which is kind of just using crates to fill space. While crates could certainly be in an attic, you still want to try to organize the space so it makes sense realistically and looks nice aesthetically.

Overall though, you've done excellent work, so consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses until the end of the month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Zsecuvu

Mummer
Awesome!
Thank you so much for leading me through the application! :D
See you ingame soon

Btw the Inbox message seems to be a bit broken since it says: "You application for "click to apply" has been approved." Dont know if you noticed already just wanted to point it out. :p