Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
WieldableMars0

What is your age?
13-16

In what country are you living?
USA

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love the fantasy world that Game of Thrones portrays and would love to help build it all in Minecraft. What I like the most is all the lore and detail put into GoT.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build is Castle Black because I like the rather isolated feel of the place in the snow combined with The Wall looming over the place.

Why do you want to join our server?
I've been a Minecraft builder for some time now and I'd like to expand my variety in building, having been a builder on MCME and Ardacraft.

house1.pnghouse2.pnghouse3.pnghouse4.pnghouse5.pnghouse6.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Mars,

Thanks for your application, glad to see your interest in joining the team!

Everything looks good with the apphouse; I hope it was a good tutorial for using our server's block pack. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. I recommend studying the elements of multiple houses in the style (furniture, timber frame patterns, rafter designs, etc.) and trying to synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size town house in the style of /warp duskendale, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Mars,

Fantastic work on these houses - you've picked up the style impressively quickly!

The only feedback I really have is a super picky point concerning the gradient: there are two dimensions to blocks that you want to keep in mind, color and texture. Each step in the gradient should generally only be along one of these dimensions; if you try to transition both at the same time, it can come across as noisy, such as in the below image:

bf00947d2a.png

So I would recommend making sure to have the dun brick as a buffer between the sandstone and dun cobble. Granted, it's not particularly bad or noticeable in this case, and there are some exceptions where creating contrast like this is desirable, but just something to be aware of!

For the next challenge, I'd like to give something more on the rural side - please make a small farmstead in the style of /warp beresford. At a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. You're also encouraged to add any other details you find in researching medieval farmsteads for inspiration, if you so choose. Let me know if you have any questions!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Mars,

Fantastic work here, as before! I think you've shown great aptitude with picking up both styles, so I'm happy to approve you at this point.

The next step is to ask a moderator in-game to promote you next time you catch one online. Make sure to read over the New Builder guide, found here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/how-to/new-builders-guide
And also make yourself a probation thread in the probation forum.

You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these by going to our dynmap and toggling "Open Plot" (if a project lead marked their plots with open plot tags), or otherwise just checking the forums and asking around to see which builds are open. Also, you can ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world where you can practice building.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so, give constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general. As sometimes the probie leaders can be busy IRL, I also highly suggest seeking out feedback from project leaders and other online builders. At the end, you'll be made full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :)