WesterosCraft Image References Repository

Cat54

Storyteller
I noticed that we don't have a full, up-to-date repo for reference images. While we should probably keep the wiki up to date, we can't fill every page with hundreds of images, so having a curated google drive to drop them in a centralized location might be easier for people to refer to.

So I created one: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uJ0DSjKeI4ZjtnPytQUX79acZCdf0rEY

The purpose of such a document is to form a bank of high quality, general purpose images people can refer to both for individual builds, and to start new projects. While the threads and project docs we have right now are great, the problem is they're spread all over the place, and having to look for all of them is pretty difficult and might cause you to miss some good stuff.

I've made a (poor) attempt at organizing the depot in the most logical way I can think of, but if you have any better suggestions, feel free to tell me.

To keep things clean and maintain some quality standards, editing will be given on an on-demand basis. I'm fine having anybody help, I just don't want everybody to help because things will get messy fast, and a disorganized repo is a repo nobody wants to use. Link me your gmail address if you'd be interested in helping maintain the repo. If you're not sure that level of commitment is for you, but still have something cool to contribute, drop it in the #inspiration channel of the WesterosCraft Discord (as you should!) and someone with editing permissions will graciously add it to the repo.

Cat54

Storyteller
Here are some guidelines when submitting pics to the repo:
  • Try submitting reasonably high-res pictures. They’re easier to understand and more pleasant to look at.

• Wikimedia Commons and Google image search with “Larger than” option are a great place to get pics.

• Illustrations are fine!

• Go for what’s believable, if a building is historically accurate but looks out of place for a region it shouldn’t be there. Same for buildings that have historical origins but have been fully rebuilt with modern materials, this is meant to be a source of inspiration!

• Go for variety, try to include pictures that are unique and different, rather than 30 variations of the same-ish house.

Reactions: Iwan

Cat54

Storyteller
Right now, I only have stuff from the North as a test, because organizing all those pictures takes time. If you'd like to have pictures from a Westeros region, existing thread, project or wiki article added to the depot immediately, feel free to drop me a request. Otherwise, I'll slowly hack at it over time, depending on whatever is being built on the server at the moment.

Reactions: Iwan

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I noticed that we don't have a full, up-to-date repo for reference images. While we should probably keep the wiki up to date, we can't fill every page with hundreds of images, so having a curated google drive to drop them in a centralized location might be easier for people to refer to.

So I created one: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uJ0DSjKeI4ZjtnPytQUX79acZCdf0rEY

It's a little hard to find, but there is this.

nubcaker

Bard
I'll take a walk through the medieval part of my city and take some pictures. Lots of old and pretty buildings that can be used as inspiration. You can add me as an editor if you want.

Cat54

Storyteller
It's a little hard to find, but there is this.
That's a great collection! I'm still going to build up mine, if only for personal use, because I like having classifications per building style, but I'm perfectly fine with using this one as an official repo and closing this thread.

Reactions: AerioOndos and Iwan

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
If you want a large amount of other northern styles, drystone, sod or otherwise, I have a large amount of inspiration images.