Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
WalrusBehindYou

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Australia

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love the political drama of the asoaif books, they aren't so black and white or good and evil. Favourite character has to be Jamie and Tyrion, always chapters I look forward to. (Definitely a Lannister supremacist lol). Another thing I like so much about the universe is how expansive it is, there is so much lore and never feels like an empty world.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build on the server is either High Garden or White Harbour.

Why do you want to join our server?
Just graduated highschool so I have much more free time on my hands. I visit the server so I'd really like to contribute to this amazing project.

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png9.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
G'day Walrus!

Always good to have another Aussie around on the server! Good work with building the Tumbleton test house. Only thing of note is could you please use night vision or another method of making the ints brighter in your future challenge builds? It makes it a bit easier for me to see how you've arranged furniture and done the floor.

For your first challenge build, can you create a mercer (Clothes and textile merchant. They sell but don't make) in the style of White Harbour Sprawl. There should be some examples out of the northern gate between the city and the stream.

If you've got any questions about the builder app process or need help/advice, you can ask here or while online.
Best of luck and I hope you have a good time building!

WalrusBehindYou

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
G'day Walrus!

Always good to have another Aussie around on the server! Good work with building the Tumbleton test house. Only thing of note is could you please use night vision or another method of making the ints brighter in your future challenge builds? It makes it a bit easier for me to see how you've arranged furniture and done the floor.

For your first challenge build, can you create a mercer (Clothes and textile merchant. They sell but don't make) in the style of White Harbour Sprawl. There should be some examples out of the northern gate between the city and the stream.

If you've got any questions about the builder app process or need help/advice, you can ask here or while online.
Best of luck and I hope you have a good time building!
G'day!

So I attempted the White Harbour mercer, I hope the build isn't too big or tall seeing it's in the sprawl and not behind the main city gates. I've also made sure I used night vision when taking the screenshots too. :)

https://imgur.com/a/jAJqfTg

Had a lot of fun with this build, hope you like it!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hi Walrus! You've done a good job with the gradient the house style in general. In particular I like how you've completed the sometimes tricky ceiling design.

However, there are a few points for improvement as well as what looks like a building typo.

In the 7th image, the roofline on the left hand side is too thick in one spot because a stair is too far down. Its an easy fix and I think the pattern just got annoying.

-For the chimney, use more than one block in its gradient if its pretty large. Using white cobble in it as well as granite would have been fine.

-Put spruce carpets in the bottom of the 1.5 block high windows (if the shutter doesn't already fill the space). It'll make it seem a bit flatter and more solid.

-Have more clothes hanging in the mercer! Our clothesline blocks are good for things other than just drying washing. Also, you could experiment with hanging walls of fabric like dark and light fur, mances tent walls etc to create large thick sheets of fabric.
-For the stairs, the space under the landing should be filled. I'd also reduce the 'weight' of the staircase by replacing the upside down stairs with spruce fence folded inwards
-There are other ways to store fabric. You could have baskets with a coloured carpet cloth on top, for instance.
-I'd have dedicated bedrooms with itchy beds rather than having beds up in the attic. Yes, you need storage space but you've already have plenty of room for stock.
-Don't use the red cushion stools anywhere except the most expensive bordellos and in noble places. They're expensive red velvet so too nice for a mercer (seller of fabric and reseller of clothes
-For a 2x1 table, try using a design other than hoppers, which would be unsupported and likely to tip. Having upside down stairs is completely fine but also making tables with halfdoors and plank carpets on top.

While I was meaning something more like the wooden or grey stone buildings this was a pretty decent effort at making a WH house.

For your next trial, can you build me a house in the style of Middlebury (the styleguide is east of the town, floating)? Something with 1-2 storeys is fine. For the profession, I'd like to see a blacksmith or farrier (horse shoer).
Goodluck!

WalrusBehindYou

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Hey, I just finished the Middlebury blacksmith.

https://imgur.com/a/Wyuwpvh/

I built a facade of the neighbouring building to try and close in the yard a bit more. The back of the building is also kinda ugly lmao but I assume it would be hidden by the another house or yard. I'm also not sue if the smith in the item frame should be used in a middle class house. I've seen it used in sept and a few times as a one off like I did but in castles. I can always remove it if it doesn't fit. One more thing, when the second floor overhangs, should they be recreated on the opposite side or can it be left like what I did.

Really been enjoying these builds, looking forward to the next challenge. : )

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Alrighty! I like the layout you've gone for with the central stair and work-kitchen space pretty well divided. Nice work with the style. I've only got two things to note for feedback.
-The bedside table where the smith is could be two less ornate blocks, like stairs, cabinets, drawers etc. Even a chest should be fine. the parquet top to the tables isn't really that nice except in rich settings.
-The daub pattern where daub touches stone is a bit strange. You could try doing another horizontal pattern or mirroring the top line of angled frames. It looks a bit odd currently with the 'arrows' on the bottom and could be a bit cleaner like the top row is.

Your next challenge build is to do a middleclass weaver in the style of Antlers! Goodluck!

Reactions: WalrusBehindYou

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Nice work and I'm impressed by this one. Only thing i've got to note is how the staircase could be supported a bit better by having the halfdoor divider next to it, rather than across the corridor from it. The other point is with the distaff, you could put nrownish white plaster on it to make it look like raw wool, rather than having the already woven pattern of the wool block.

For your next challenge, try building me one of the steep rooved houses from Woodwright! Be imaginative with the profession!

WalrusBehindYou

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Okie dokie, I choose to do a potter, I was gonna do a spicer but I didn't think it would fit in Woodwright since its only a small inland town.

https://imgur.com/a/B3cHGrU

I don't know if the clay colour is wrong or you can use any depending on the region, but I can always fix that.

Reactions: Aino

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Alrighty! the clay colour is fine, its meant to be red.

Now, I'm loving the ints and exts except for two things; gradients and the hemp.

-We have a hanging herb block for dangling herb bunches. it's got rope at the top of the texture so it seems connected. The hemp textures don't have this connection and have a lower stem designed to link well to other variants of the block. Please don't try to use hemp for non-hemp contexts. Its one of the few blocks we're a bit anal-retentive on .
-The light stone works best when touching the light brick, rather than the larger parts of reach brick.

Now to be a bit tricky, can you build me a coppersmith in the style of vyrvillage. Seri's cooper is the best example there. Think about little adjoining structures and sheds you could use to make it feel more alive.

This should be your last challenge to come so good luck!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Looking nice Walrus!

Only things I'd like to point out is that the style has a stair detailing at the edge of the roofline to make it look like it has a very shallow eave and that try not to use 1 block wide chests often. they're a little bit too ornate for their size and also a strange dimension. 1x2 chests look more sensible.

And with that, I'd say you can begin your probation. Approved by me! Please ask a moderator in-game when you are online to be promoted to builder. The next step is to read over the New Builders Guide. Also create a probation thread on the Probation Forum.

You can start building at any open location found on the server - you can check /warp build (some of these may possibly be outdated as people forget to update it sometimes) as well as going to our dynmap and toggling the "Open Plot" filter. You can also search the forums for active projects or ask around to see which builds are open.

Also ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world so you can practice building.

A probie leader should respond to your thread soon. There they will give you constructive feedback during your next month and assist in your entry into the server community as well. Once you have completed probation, you will be promoted to full builder.

Congrats Walrus and welcome to the build team! I hope you enjoy and it'll be great seeing around the server!