voxatron Builder Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxatron

Mummer

UK

I've followed the server for some time, I probably found it from the famous picture of Kings Landing. Recently though I've explored to better put pictures to the places described in the books, I'm currently listening my way through the series.

Currently playing Stronghold HD for the nostalgia factor

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords

All of the above

Arya Stark. Her Journey is probably the most interesting and she gives a very unique perspective of the war in the first few books. I like the way she reacts to events around her being overly brave and sometimes stupid, I think she's a lot like her father, with less common sense and no filter.

I don't claim to be a good builder at all, I found that out trying to build a house with the Westerocraft blocks. I have always worked on the same castle since 2012, so I could say I'm attuned to working on large scale projects, moving to and from smaller builds to create a larger scene.
(I have included screenshots of the project I've worked on for all these years, It doesn't fit with your theme at all and I've had to build everything in the same style I used ages 13, but I just like to show people, it was solo SMP :)

I'm good at being told what to do!
I can take ideas and themes and make them my own (*but not too my own)
And I want to learn and develop (this probably belongs in the box below). I've limited myself for a long time sticking to the theme I made 6/7 years ago. I feel the more I get to build and shape things on your map, the better I will become.

Mainly, I want to build as part of a big team to see the results and think 'Yeh I helped' (maybe only 0.01%, but I still helped.)

I have a decent amount of spare time to give, around my job, maybe 6-7 hours a week.
I'm also hoping to make some friends, I've never done real community builds so I hope to work with others on larger projects.

Any other questions please just ask, My IGN/discord is Lettos but I did log in with Voxatron which is my secondary/spying accound (loooong story)

YOU KNOW NOTHING JOHN SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Enah

Skinchanger
Hey, so we need 6 minimum pics of a house you’ve built and you’ve got half that. Please provide some interior shots and at least one of you in front of it

voxatron

Mummer
Hey, so we need 6 minimum pics of a house you’ve built and you’ve got half that. Please provide some interior shots and at least one of you in front of it

Hi!
I’ll get some more screenshots up loaded later in the week, please don’t close my application yet!

voxatron

Mummer
UPDATE:

I redid some screenshots as per requested, after a few changes to the original house.
The update caused the vanilla trees to bug, that is unavoidable.

I also have read some other applications/feedback and noticed that you're trying to stay away from using a lot of logs for buildings. Since this particular house uses a lot of logs I added a little lumber yard out the back, perhaps this is a lumberjack family?

Imgur:

Enah

Skinchanger
Alright, so this isnt too bad, though it definitely has some issues

1 This is a lumber jack's home? He would not be able to afford glass windows. Glass is expensive, only forest glass was affordable to peasants in any quantity. Forest glass was used mostly for drinking and pouring vessels, and was very poor quality often breaking. IOnly the rich and nobility could afford glass window, and even then not always depending on the region and culture.

2 We've moved away from logs as support for the most part, as how you've done here. Logs these days are either only used in rare cases for roofing/ceilings that span larger areas, or are used in boats or docks.

3 The roof has no support from inside. Check out the roof timbers in the houses in Fairmarket or Woodwright, they are not fully covered so you can see the roofing material between the rafters and slats.

4 dat chimney doh. The chimney is far too massive, and ill supported within the house's structure, it would have collapsed long before construction finished. 1x1 or 1x2 block stacks suffice for most chimneys, lordly or peasant :D

5 You have a fairly decent kitchen area, though the sausages are levitating...

6 Your ceilings are very low and flat, most houses we have have room heights of 3.5 or 4 full blocks with the floor in the 4th block. And usually there's a slab-stair-stair-slab arrangement. I'd suggest looking around and seeing the many types of ceiling/floors we have :)

7 That bed is a bit too elaborate for the level of profession, lumber jacks are actually fairly impoverished.

So, this might seem like a lot, but, I have faith that we can get you to our current standards of building. So, I'm gonna issue you a series of challenges, which will be used to further evaluate your skills. First challnge, I'd like you to build a house in the style of Bandallontown, stone and thatch house please. You may choose to do either a townhouse style or the rural detached type. Good luck!

voxatron

Mummer
Hellooooo,

Thank you for all the feedback, I knew they'd be a way to go to get to standard.

I loved building in the Bandallontown style, using the Reach colours and blocks.
I made sure the chimney was a lot smaller, and that there were no more levitating sausages.

Really quite proud of the interior on this one, especially since this is the second one I've built outside of vanilla smp.

IMGUR:

Enah

Skinchanger
Sorry, I forgot to post this

So, this is pretty good :D
Pretty much got a good house here, only things wrong are most houses in Bandallon have dirt floors, or use stormlands cobbles, to represent wear and dirt. So, I'm giving you the challenge of building in the style of White Harbour. So, I'd like a middle class house, your choice of occupation. The middle class are the ones around the mint and line streets leading out, usually you can tell by the house quality. If you need help finding which is the class, ask a builder :D Good luck!

voxatron

Mummer
Hi,
I'm going away on holiday this weekend and I don't think I'll find the time to complete this build.
Please don't close my application if Im away for a week or two!

Thank youuuu

Enah

Skinchanger
nah, you're fine. i'd only say that if you didnt reply in a week or two or further lol. just resume when you get back!

Enah

Skinchanger
Hey there, are you still interested in becoming a builder? It's been a really long week or so lol. Please respond within a week or the application will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.