vc12355 Builder Application

vc12355

Mummer

USA

Westeros Walks on youtube

Harry potter, the witcher, lord of the rings, the grishaverse

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3

Tyrion Lannister, because even though he is not the strongest or biggest he is exceptionally smart and can easily manipulate others.

I have an incredible eye for detail, I can make a house look lived in or a castle feel homey

I think the westeroscraft team has done an amazing Job creating a super realistic rendition of the ASOIAF universe and I would love to be a part of it!

https://imgur.com/gallery/4lPLptP

You know nothing John Snow

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi vc12355,

Many thanks for taking the time out to apply to become a builder.

Unfortunately, the house you have applied with is not up to the standards of our server, however I do think you have the potential to get there, so am willing to set you some build challenges.

Some things you should address before you attempt your next build, that you did wrong in this one;

• The house is very flat and lacks depth. I also wouldn't use vines all over the place-- they should be logical and typically extend from a source i.e. leaves.
  • Very few houses in our server are square, this creates something which we would typically describe as 'vanilla', lacking the realism of a house you'd typically find in our server.
  • 2 block high ceilings are few and far between. 2.5 minimum should be expected. Furthermore a ceiling should never be just flat, it should have some visual element (rafters) which makes it look structural.
  • Your furnishings are a clutter of different styles. This is both a poor and rich house. Should the house be lived in by a peasant, or a minor lord who can afford luxury beds and paintings on every wall?
  • A stable on the ground floor is strange.
I would honestly encourage you very much to integrate with some of the builders before approaching the challenge I will set you. You would benefit greatly from observing someone else building-- the majority of what any builder does is making lower class peasant housing in a major settlement, so you'll need to nail that.

I encourage you also to take screenshots of 5 or so builds and look at which furniture they use, what blocks they've used in the structure etc. and use this as inspiration/guidance for your build.

So, for the challenge-- please build a house in the /warp Duskendale style. This should be a lower class house, typical of Duskendale. I am indifferent if you assign this house a profession or not.

Best of luck,

Veggie

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Vc,

Thanks for submitting your challenge.

Here's what I liked;

• You made a good effort at Wattle and daub patterning. I can see the logic in deciding which blocks go where. It is however a little messy in that you're using too many of the framed daub blocks when you should have leant more on the plain daub blocks to break up the patterns.
  • You were ambitious in building a house with several floors, which is commendable.
  • You made some interesting furnishing choices, using appropriate blocks in kitchens etc.
Here's what you need to work on;

• The house is far too wide for its foundation, and in general. Houses in Duskendale are around 7 blocks wide at max, not 9. As such this house looks very top heavy, which is highlighted further by how narrow the stone foundation is in comparison.
  • You forgot to support the overhang of the roof, you can see examples of eaves in game across the server. The most simple way is alternating stairs and half doors.
  • Candles-- candles should never be placed just on the wall. Think about how candles work in real life-- how often are they found jutting out from a wall? Furthermore they should be used sparingly to either light up a dark space, or used logically, on a kitchen table etc.
  • It's not clear what 'class' this house is, some furnishing choices suggest lower class, whilst some suggest higher class. For example, metal plates would've been expensive, so may not necessarily be found in a lower class house.
Ultimately, this wouldn't be an acceptable house in Duskendale, so when you come to tackle your next challenge please take the time to explore the style thoroughly before continuing with your challenge.

Finally, this is a huge house, as such I'm surprised to see you've taken images of only three rooms. I'm unsure if you forgot to take screenshots of the other rooms, or if each room takes up a whole floor. In your next challenge please take more screenshots, you can't have too many.

For your next challenge please build a house in the White Harbour style found within the walls.

If you manage to catch me in game I'd be happy to discuss anything with you.

Good luck,

V