Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
Tony_Babadaboni

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States (EST)

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I enjoy the deep lore of the ASOIAF world. Being someone who is into history and is studying in college to be a historian ASOIAF really encapsulates the middle ages and its history whilst also adding a considerable flare that makes it that much more interesting. Much like Tolkien's writings it really interests me. In particular I am a big fan of the Dunk and Egg novels which are a really interesting look into the the power structures and divisions of Westeros. I also love the War of the 5 Kings which happens throughout ACOK and ASOS due to its end being so tragic and its effects on Westeros being very negative.

What is your favorite build on our server?
The Red Keep and Maegor's Holdfast in King's Landing are may favorite builds on the server. This is because of the sheer scale of the build really does show what the thing would look like in real life.

Why do you want to join our server?
I saw a few images for castles on the server and was instantly interested in this server. I love ASOIAF and I also love building in this game, so anything that combines the two is a dream.

2021-12-22_17.31.38.png2021-12-22_17.31.41.png2021-12-22_17.31.47.png2021-12-22_17.32.00.png2021-12-22_17.32.07.png2021-12-22_17.38.42.png2021-12-22_17.41.30.png2021-12-22_17.41.33.png2021-12-22_17.41.36.png2021-12-22_17.41.46.png

Did you follow the application rules?
Yes I have followed the rules.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Tony,

Sorry about the wait; was away travelling last week. Feel free to ping me if I don't reply in several days from now on.

The apphouse looks good! It's a cute adaptation of the original house for a snowy environment. Just be mindful of the fact that you'd want to choose a different palette in a snowy region, due to the biome shading on some stone blocks - the smooth small stone bricks contrast harshly with river cobble in this biome, for instance. Also, as minor feedback, you should avoid adding stone 'rubble' around the base of the house (unless the house itself is crumbling); it makes it look messy. Otherwise, I like that you've added some immersive details around the house, like the dock.

For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp tortown, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Tony_Babadaboni

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Tony,

Sorry about the wait; was away travelling last week. Feel free to ping me if I don't reply in several days from now on.

The apphouse looks good! It's a cute adaptation of the original house for a snowy environment. Just be mindful of the fact that you'd want to choose a different palette in a snowy region, due to the biome shading on some stone blocks - the smooth small stone bricks contrast harshly with river cobble in this biome, for instance. Also, as minor feedback, you should avoid adding stone 'rubble' around the base of the house (unless the house itself is crumbling); it makes it look messy. Otherwise, I like that you've added some immersive details around the house, like the dock.

For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp tortown, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck
Thank you so much. I will get right on to starting the challenge.

Reactions: Gealrüable

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Tony,

Very nice work on this house! You've done a good job with the gradient, which people generally have trouble with in plaster houses when starting off. Overall you captured all the important elements of the Tor style; I have picky feedback on some things though:

- Try to cover up the sides of bench/cabinet blocks, either with half door blocks or other furniture, so it doesn't seem like they have openings on multiple sides. For example, the one here needs to be covered up.

- I recommend reworking the rafters here a bit so the beams in the middle don't end suddenly. Here are two designs you might want to try (you just need to play around with the corner stairs a bit to get it to work).

- Always avoid having flat/unsupported ceilings like in this room. For heavier stone ceilings, you should have some sort of arches/vaulting. For lighter ceilings you should use rafter beams. In this case you could probably use rafters, since mud plaster is a bit lighter than stone.

- For the yard walls, try to go for more welll-defined shapes, with a bit less variation in height as well. You want to avoid so-called "bubble yards" (where the yard is blob-like with amorphous borders) and excess noise. Usually this means making walls out of linear sections (so a polygon) following nearby roads or other structures.

Let me know if you have any questions about the feedback. For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Good luck!

Tony_Babadaboni

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
I am finished with my second challenge build.
I decieded to go with 2 houses rather than one because one alone looked strange. I based the second building off of the "Stinking Weasel" which I liked the design of but I changed the stone and wood patterns and a good part of the interior.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Tony,

Sorry for the wait; finally got a chance to take a look. Overall excellent work on this challenge, the houses you've made seem like they would fit right in at Duskendale! The only feedback I have this time is a few super minor things:

- Avoid using stone arrow slits as windows in non-stone structures (daub & wattle or wood). There might be a couple instances of this still left in DD as a holdover from when we didn't have the timber window frame blocks, but it's deprecated now.

- Try to avoid long horizontal rows of the open (no crosshatch) timber frame blocks, since it doesn't look great and also isn't structurally sound. Mostly referring to a couple spots in the interior, e.g. here.

- I'd recommend relocating the window here so it's not right along the edge, as the single block of plain daub there is a bit awkward.

Nicely done otherwise. For a tentative final challenge build, I'd like to see a small farmstead in the style of /warp beresford. At a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. You're also encouraged to add any other details you find in researching medieval farmsteads for inspiration, if you so choose. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Tony_Babadaboni

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Hi sorry this is taking me so long to complete I just got hired at a new job and I have been super busy with that lately but I am still working on this final build. I just wanted to say that before this application gets annulled for being inactive. I will probably be done with this challenge by the end of next week.

Reactions: Emoticone11