the9988 Builder Application

the9988

Mummer

Slovakia

An online news article 3-4 years ago, don't remember the specific website.

Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

I can't think of a single one in particular, but some of the characters I find most interesting are Tyrion, Tywin, Varys and Qyburn.

I am willing to push myself the extra mile when it comes to quality, I am a quick learner and when I have a passion, I am capable of truly dedicating myself to it. I want to improve myself and always push for higher quality.

I think it would be fascinating to participate in a collaborative project of such an astounding scope and magnitude.

I have been fascinated by architecture all my life, currently work as a graphic designer, and would like to polish and improve my creativity further in this non-traditional, but still highly creative outlet.

I have visited dozens of countries in Europe in my lifetime, saw many beautiful examples of medieval architecture, and would love to learn more about these schools of architecture by emulating and recreating them.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

the9988

Mummer
I have spent a lot of time exploring the server now; I see that I should fix the ceiling, and preferably add more overhangs and interesting features to that building + improve the interior. Looking forward to improving myself in build challenges

Reactions: HalfCat

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey the9988,

Thanks for the application, I'm glad to see your interest in our server! My apologies for the delay in responding, we've had a large volume of apps in the last couple weeks.

Your house is a very nice start! While it's not up to server standards, it has character and I like a lot of the little details. You also seem to have gotten some important elements of building down, like how to do gradients. I'll jump right into giving some more general feedback on the house, and then get you started with a challenge build in a specific style.

- A few comments on the details around the house. First, rotate the clothesline blocks so they form a continuous line rather than being sideways to the house. Secondly, try to avoid having too much random clutter; try to make sure they serve a purpose. Instead of just having a chicken hanging from the outside roof for instance, maybe make an actual area where the hunters/butchers in the village process meat.

- Usually we avoid 1x2 (horizontal) window shapes in houses. It's better to have 2x1 (vertical) windows or 1x1 windows. For poorer houses, you can usually just have open windows (i.e. just a hole without anything inside it) covered by a shutter block.

- The basement access here is cool, although also doesn't really make much sense, as the road there just drops off to the side. There would need to be a retaining wall or something for the land as well.

- Don't use trapdoor blocks for stuff other than actual trapdoors, like you do for the entrance here. The texture is kind of bad, and guests can toggle them. Use wood carpet blocks or slabs instead.

- The interiors in the house need a bit more work. First, always avoid having flat ceilings like here. If you have a stone ceiling, you need to make arches and vaults for support. There are a couple ways to do this:

0748be84d9.png

6db2427e7f.png

There are other options, of course, depending on what the size of your cellar and house is. The general point though is that you want to make sure the heavy stone ceiling is supported somehow.

As far as wood ceilings, you need to have rafters supporting the ceiling. You can do this using upside-down wood stairs, wood slabs, etc. See the example here:

a0a636ce3d.png

- Also, try to make sure rooms seem proportional. For instance, the ceiling in this room is way too low given how wide the room is. I would recommend either making the ceiling higher, and/or subdividing the room into multiple separate rooms. This room seems way too long and narrow.

- Avoid using torch blocks in ordinary houses, typically these are more meant for castles and town/city streets. Use mostly candles in houses (always placed vertically on top of a surface), and lanterns. Make sure the lantern doesn't appear to be floating, as it does here. Also you should just have one lantern per house, since they would carry it around with them.

- I recommend checking out /warp furnish for help with interiors, it's a very helpful resource.

Anyways, you're off to a good start! Please make sure you understand all of the feedback above, and I think you'll be golden. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the feedback. For the first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

-Emote