Terraforming [Terraforming] Rivers

Sajjetta

Faith Militant
Thamus, yeah I can give that a go, was going to tackle coastal landforms next as it probably helps the most people. I hadn't realised youd already done such a comprehensive guide for fluvial systems else Id have probably added to your post =)

Sajjetta

Faith Militant
Little guide to delta types for you. Shape is determined by whether the delta is dominated by river, wave or tidal influences. More on that coming soon with Coasts. Source: Smithson, Addison & Atkinson, 2008, Fundamentals of the Physical Environment, based on Galloway 1975.

IMG_8866.JPG

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
The above diagram is a possibly misleading simplification: Sediment that's carried in the stream is another crucial factor actually adding another dimension to the diagram.

See Entry 2.3. Deltas here https://westeroscraft.com/threads/geomorphology-101-1-fluvial-processes.284/#post-1349

@Sajetta, it is a good practise to always provide sources. I've seen a bunch of confusingly simplified geomorphology drawings on pinterest that looked nice but managed to muddle the scientific explanation.

Also, to avoid redundancy, I invite you to read the above thread thoroughly.

Reactions: Sajjetta

Sajjetta

Faith Militant
Sorry Thamus if it seemed like I was trying to tread on your toes vis a vis rivers and create redundancy, it really was more an attempt by me to see how pictures uploaded and formatted into the forum than anything (so that I can cover coasts as well as you did rivers). I wasn't trying to double up on the info from your thread, and didn't add more detail to my post because your thread pretty comprehensively covers rivers, which did somewhat make my post misleading. And yes I should have added the source, have now edited it in.

For clarification, particle size of sediment type is of course important to the formation of a delta. Where the dominance/mix of wave, tidal and fluvial process on a delta determine its plan view shape, particle size dictates moveability of sediment and infers how powerful the wave/tidal/fluvial process needs to be to actually do anything. Precisely how particle size, load, and transport method, affect deltas gets pretty complex.

Heres the original 1975 Galloway classification paper (if anyone wanted to read deeper)

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-evolution-of-deltaic-depositional-system.pdf

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
No worries, wasn't clear to me that you just tried out uploading pics!

When doing the post on coast, bear in mind the limit of 10000 characters per post! I didn't know it at the time and spent about the same time shortening my post as I needed to making it.