Stormlands Dornish March

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey rex nice to know but apply for it in the lonmouth projects thread!
Also the tera will change a Little Bit but feel free to make houses tests!

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
I want to caution against using Iberia as an inspiration for the Stormlands, ESPECIALLY a region like Lonmouth that is so far from Dorne. You have to understand that there's a mountain range in between Lonmouth and the nearest Dornish project (Wyl). I'd say Blackhaven, Nightsong and Harvest Hall should be the only projects with a hint of a Spanish Dorne style. Bear in mind, not too much of an Iberian style, so as to differentiate regions. I'd like to reintroduce the idea of using an Eastern European influence (think Romania, Slovakia and Ukraine). I think that using a Spanish style would only detract from the Southern Reach areas like Starpike, Horn Hill, and Darkdell. Culture does not travel that far from Wyl to Lonmouth. So a Spanish style would be unrealistic.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
It was in my mind to make a mix between these to styles bc lonmouth has a border to Blackhaven too.
I also don’t use dark vivid not mutch anymore bc the lighter bricks bring to mutch a Spanish style as u said.
But I don’t think using only eastern Style is the right way.
We should make a small mix from both and form something on.
I don’t like too focus on one real live influence bc we are a still in a Fantasy World were they made there own culture.
As I said no like to create a own Westeros styles with some real live inspirations
But I agree using Eastern Europe too!!

Reactions: AerioOndos

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
I think there should be 0 Spanish or Portuguese influence whatsoever. This far into the Stormlands, surrounded by nothing but Stormlands, it doesn’t make sense to have an enclave of culture especially in Lonmouth. It’s got huge mountains all around it with only a narrow and steep canyon leading in and out of that valley. The style should be relatively isolated from things around it. There’s a precedent for the Stormlands, set by the nearby recent projects of Gallows Grey and Summerhall. Talk with Aino. She’s also looking to do a Stormlands build and has some inspiration for a style that fits the region quite nicely.

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
i agree with jake about the spanish and eastern european style. even tough i agree on dornish marches having spanish and portugese influence i think thats enough for stormlands. having spanish influence on more central stormlands doesnt seem right to me. in my opinion eastern european stlye (romania,ukraine,slovakia etc.) should fit the stormlands since the region needs some love and style changes , thus a mega stormlands project like the one lem does for westerlands would be great to actually improve this style and stormlands overall.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I really like eastern european for the Stormlands, as I've stayed before. I'm clearly one of the more partidaries of having a region partially inspired by wet Iberia. I want to emphasize on that, only the north of the peninsula would be chosen as the inspo area, the one where neither mediterranean nor muslim influences have reached (things we have equaled to southern Reach and Dorne. I think some aspects of this style are perfectly compatible with the wooden eastern european vibe, specially the granaries. There are many similarities between the architecture and the climate. Being near Dorne isnt needed to be inspired by Spain or Portugal, those countries are much more diverse than that.

That being said I do think an eastern european vibe would give a much more distinguishable look to the Stormlands, and much more unique, as for the most part northern Iberia houses are quite simple in their construction. I 100% agree an Stormlands Mega Project would be incredible for the region, we just need someone crazy enough to do it :p.​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I would also say that in regards of the northern Iberia inspo Lonmouth would be as much north and as much east it should extent into the Stormlands, in my opinion.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Yeah a stormland mega project would be so nice!
i also test Alot with Balkan Insprirations on my plot i will use ur feedback and will work on some eastern europe influenced tests!
Just fell free to make some tests too on /warp jeff (up in the sky).
Also i would like if u have some inspirations. Post it here that would be a nice help!
i will post the next days some house tests here feel free to feedback them!
The Spanish think was just a idea bc of the tera and the history.
But u right lonmouth is maybe a bit far away from the spanish Influence even it have a border ro blackhaven!

ty for ur helo and feedback
~Jeff

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Okay so I say its definitely a good idea to compromise a bit in terms of the style. Elements from wet Iberia and the dark stone houses are incredibly valuable, particularly the horreas to keep grain dry which is incredibly important for food security. Most houses should have mostly stair rooves which will help set them apart from the flatter slab rooves often used in Dorne. Different pallettes too. And yes, after all its a fantasy world where we can bring lots of different sources of inspiration together into one project or style. So mixing Eastern European styles or features with those of Iberia could result in some very nice designs, even outside of Lonmouth.

The main areas to keep low wood is the southern salient. Nightsong, Harvest Hall, Blackhaven and the mouth of the Slayne River (Stonehelm and Horpe). Then to some degree Herston, Weeping Town (Whitehead) and Gower will likely need fewer trees near the sea.
So I'm sure it'd be okay to put a bit more wood into the mountains themselves and the areas to the north of those projects.

Also I'd like to say that this thread can be used to help develop projects in the Dornish Marches other than Lonmouth. So all material here is useful