spiritedmagpie

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love how much care is put into the history of the world. It makes it feel like the world didn't just begin because the story started. There's old conflicts that still affect the people involved, old places barely touched in a thousand years, old arts lost to time. I love how there is so much information that you can simply breeze past, and when you examine it closer, it may bloom into a whole new story within a story. I enjoy how much is included in the world books that wasn't mentioned in the main series—and how they're still a bit unreliable because they're written from an in-story perspective.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build is Highgarden. Aesthetically, it's the most pleasing to me. I love the white and green color palette and the distinct tiers. I love all the greenery, as well as how much color the flowers bring. I especially love the northwest mid-tier flower garden. I think the block palettes are well chosen and blend well together. The little pockets of clear space in the hedge mazes break up what could otherwise be a very dull, samey area of the build. I think the interiors are well done. Not cramped, but not too big, and just the right amount of decor and clutter. Overall, it's just a very well put together build.

Why do you want to join our server?
I would like to be part of such an ambitious project and find a place in the community. I hope to bring an artist's eye and attention to detail to the team.

verify.pngout-frontwide.pngout-chimney.pngout-cabbage.pngin-firetable.pngin-shelfbed.pngin-highclothes.pngin-roofclothes.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey spiritedmagpie, thanks for your patience, and glad to see your interest in joining the project! In the future feel free to ping me if it's been more than a few days with no response.

Nicely done with the apphouse, I'm not seeing any issues there! Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey magpie,

Excellent work on this house! You've picked up the style really quickly, and for the most part the house looks like it could fit right in at Woodwright. I only have a little bit of picky feedback to give:

- Try to avoid long horizontal rows of the "timber oak white frame" block (the one with no crossbeams), like on this facade. It doesn't make sense realistically since timber would support vertically, and also looks a bit odd. I recommend sticking with 2-wide horizontal connections at maximum.

- The interiors, while nicely done overall, use just a tad too many crates to fill space. I recommend avoiding using "clutter blocks" like this for the most part except for particular storage areas where crates would make sense. It's fine to have some parts of the house be sparse, as long as it's tasteful and not too empty.

Otherwise, you're off to a great start. For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp tortown. Let me know if you've got any questions about my feedback or the Tor style and I'd be happy to elaborate. Good luck!

Reactions: spiritedmagpie

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey magpie,

Great work with this challenge! I really like the way you incorporated the stone wall with the balcony; it feels very well put together. I just have a couple minor points:

- I'd try going with the short wattle fence rather than full wattle around the balcony; given that it's a rather small house, the full version takes up a lot of space.

- The hearth design is rather ornate for a small butcher's house; I'd go for a much simpler design.

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp oatown, with a yard. As always, let me know if you've got any questions. Good luck!

Reactions: spiritedmagpie